C.M.R.A. Trails

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pprO.R.A., Dec 19, 2013.

1. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Our group is looking at off road riding options in the east, such as Appalachian Trails, Smokey Mtn. I would be grateful to learn from locals whats the best stuff. Maximun of 6 riders, dirtbikes 250,300, 450's , prefer single track but some ADV. dual sport mixed in is good, average B skill level, fuel range not a big issue, can be plated in MO.

What about Cumberland Mtn Riders Assc. area? I know there its organized and you have to buy membership, but there must be more out there. Appalachian backcountry routes? Smokey Mtn. routes ? Blue Ridge ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated T.I.A.
  2. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Highland park resort or DurhamTown plantation. Both in Georgia. Great riding at both.
  3. catang5oh

catang5oh Blithering Idiot

Oddometer:
    Cheaha State park in Alabama, as long as you are dual sport. Miles of dirt roads, trails, and camping.
  4. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    I ride at CMRA.

It's a club - they do sell a "out of towners one weekend ride" membership.

They have two well marked sinlge-track loops that leave the parking area.

Ride them both in one day and you've had enough.

Doable on 450s

Lot's of back-country riding there but you'd need a guide, well prepped bikes and plenty of will......true back country woods riding - advanced.

There's another area close by that we ride ... we call it Sequatchie. Can put in a good a real good day ride....from mild to beat your brains out rock gardens.

When are ya'll coing thru? Maybe we can guide you. GPS doesn't guiode too well in these areas, too many turns and decisions to be made during the day.

There's also Medium-mixed offroad dual sport around Tellico-Plains / Robbinsville.

Some real good offroad dual sport around Hartford, TN

WOuld need a guide at both places IMO
  5. MrTwisty

MrTwisty Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer:
    +1 What he said.
  6. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.bmmspark.com

(although, their site is down right this minute...)

Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park, Taylorsville, NC
  7. 1976mike

1976mike Adventurer

Oddometer:

So if I read this correctly, you may be offering up your guide services? :evil

I have been considering joining CMRA as I recently moved to N. Alabama and I am searching areas to ride and am game to finding new ones.
  8. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    You should try CMRA on a "weekend" membership. It's true woods riding - anything over a 450 is a death wish. The two parking lot loops are self guided - well marked. I'm not a good back-country guide at CMRA.

I don't mind marching guys thru a senseless beating as they can hang. :deal

Keep an eye on the Middle-TN 2010 DS thread and you'll be able to pick up a Sequatchie ride sometime soon.

Also - if you ride woods have you heard of Westpoint? Check out the NATRA website. Lots of N Alabamy guys ride Wespoint - tons of singletrack. 450s and under
  9. 1976mike

1976mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was hoping that CMRA had a "guest" or "weekend" pass, good to know they do. Spring trip will be setup. Westpoint is also in the list, I am going up there for the harescramble on Dec. 29. Fund raiser hare scramble for local charities and FD.
  10. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good info. Looks like Franklin TN. is right in the backyard of CMRA, so I am posting the right guy. We are thinking about early to mid April. I will research the other areas you mentioned it all sounds good, and a guide would be great. Trying to make a 3-4 day trip (riding days) and of course the 2 days drive time.
  11. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Mid April the vegetation around Tellico Plains might be coming in and spring could be in bloom. A beautiful time to ride over there.
  12. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Yeah Tellico Plains on a map looks tasty, located in a N.F. area in the Appalachian Mtn range if im not mistaken. We like riding in the high country.Please fill me in on that, and Hartford looks like similar country.
  13. MrTwisty

Oddometer:
    There's some good stuff in North Georgia too. If you make it down here I'd be glad to be a tour guide, but it's pretty much either forest service roads that you can drive a Prius down or gnarly shit than can make grown men cry. Either way, I'd be happy to show you around.
  14. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks Twisty, don't know if the rest of the crew want's to go further to GA. but south eastern TN. is damn close to northern GA. Plus we are not seeking an all day death march by any means, but are capable of handling obstacles that we roll up on. Just wanted to ride in the eastern Mtns and plateau's and prefer ST. The plan is to go in April so I am starting research now. ( the rest of my posse has no understand the word "planning" ) I am getting great info.here from yourself and ihatefalling, thanks again.
  15. MrTwisty

Oddometer:
    Sure thing PP, but if you're a "roll your own" type of guy, here's a few places to check out if you come to North GA. If your Googlefu is strong, you shouldn't have any problems finding info. If not, here's a link that will help:http://georgiaoffroad.com/facility.php?generaltypeid=2

~ Windy Gap/Milma/Tibbs (they are all in the same area) is really good and all near Chatsworth, GA. The "experienced riders only" section of Windy Gap is no joke, so wear your man panties. You can connect Rocky Creek/Tatum Lead with them and have an absolutely exhausting/punishing day. All of this is in the Cohutta Wilderness Area so there are a lot of forest service roads in the area too. You could spend several days in the area. The forest service roads are Prius capable, but it is fun to see the look on the Prius driver's face as you drift your 450 around a blind mountain corner........just don't become a Prius hood ornament.

~ Moto Mountain has some of the best single track I've ever ridden. It's a "pay to ride" park, and like Highland Park it's $25 a day. Both are well worth it.

~ Oakey Mountain in Clayton GA is good too. See link above for directions and more info.