Details on 2014 690 enduro r?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BigTony, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
  2. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BrandonH-

Where did you find the Akrapovic? I can't find one anywhere even for a 2013 model.
  3. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    I think I can confirm this on my own since my bike has been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting for a new rear brake return spring from KTM. It had a perfectly fine spring on there when I took it in so I can only guess that the spring must have been recalled. I am sick of missing out on riding waiting for the spring so I am picking it up anyway and will just install it myself when it comes in. I had already purchased a spare of the old style anyway based on all the reports on here of them breaking so hopefully it will get here before I can manage to break two of them. :)
  4. BrandonH

BrandonH Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added a power port tonight. Pretty easy and works great (in the driveway)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. seeking

seeking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome!! Can we get a write up?
  7. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my recall notice on Monday. Called my dealer and was told bolt just needed to be Loctited and retorqued. I had already changed out the brake lever and did the Loctite and retorquring. Here is a link to rear brake I put on.
    http://slavensracing.com/shop/billet-brake-pedal-for-ktm-690/

Dealer asked me the mileage of when this took place and they would make a note of it for me with KTM. No wasted trip to the dealer for this bit of silliness.
  8. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick pic of my new Britannia Composite fairing. Pretty sweet to ride behind for sure.
    [​IMG]

Cock pit
    [​IMG]
  9. itnanti

itnanti aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer:

I called the dealer around the corner from me and they said they needed to order parts for the recall. They said they would call me when they come in to bring the bike in for a replacement. Nobody confirmed yet if the replacement bolt is actually longer but maybe it is if they had to order parts. I'll see when I bring it in.
  10. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure. I'll do a photo write-up tonight of the installation of the power port.
  11. Dave83

Dave83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, new to these forums and new to biking. I just picked up my 2014 a week ago and am loving it so far.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Quickly realizing that I should order a new back tire already!
  12. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Turns out the wolfman panniers that I've used a lot on my KLR and WR250R work really well with the
    690 and the EVO2 tanks-----wouldn't have worked at all with the stock tanks and side panels I don't think.
    They are way more forward than on my WR and my knees just barely touch them.
    I luv using these---so handy place to pack some lite stuff that wouldn't get destroyed if it got damp.
    Heat from the radiator is no problem for the bike getting hot--nor melting stuff in the pannier.
    Just don't put a tub of butter or candy bar in there.

[​IMG]

Wolfman peak tailbag on there in this picture. But I put a Wolftail on there for a ride where I'm traveling, camping and cooking.

[​IMG]

I didn't have the EVO's (I ran out of gas) nor the panniers on this ride.
    Could have used both---and ran the smaller Wolftail rear bag instead the the small expedition duffel.
    Packing would have been much tidier.

[​IMG]
  13. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got tired of not having the bike while waiting around for a spring so I picked it up and threw my spare spring on there. Now I'll take it out for a shakedown ride and pray they fixed the leak. With the leak, in case others with the leak are still reading, there were no new parts from KTM. My dealer said it might have been an assembly issue, but they didn't have any information specifically about it. They just replaced the lock washer, the o-ring and the seal.
  14. Beeners

Beeners Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a covered 12V socket from eBay

[​IMG]

Locate an 8mm tool to remove the headlight

[​IMG]

Remove the two 8mm head bolts holding the headlight on. One is on the right (pictured) and the other is on the left.

[​IMG]

Select the switched or un-switched accessory wiring pre-installed on your bike. I chose to use the switched red/black (+) and brown (-) pair. You could also use the un-switched red/yellow (+) and brown (-) pair.

[​IMG]

Make a 6" jumper from 16 AWG wire. One end needs male 1/4" spade lugs. The other needs 1/4" female spade sockets.

[​IMG]

NOTE: this is the most precise step. Install the socket into the headlight assembly. It needs a 1 1/16" (27mm) hole. All i had was a 1" spade bit so I followed that with a small grinding wheel on a moto-tool to hog it out to the correct size. It looks like it can fit on either the right hand or left hand side. I chose left hand side. NOTE: it's a close fit so be very careful making the hole in the right place.

[​IMG]

Attach the headlight wiring connector, the jumper, and reinstall the headlight.

[​IMG]

Test it out.

[​IMG]

:1drink
    roespan likes this.
  15. TexaNate

TexaNate Fortune Favors the Bald

Oddometer:
    Crafty solution, and a great write-up to boot. I always wonder why KTM didn't put a 12v socket somewhere on the bike stock. I guess that would just be too BMWish!
  16. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    Back from dealer and took it out for a shakedown ride. Either there was some stuff up in there from the "fix" or the leak is actually much worse than it was before it was "fixed". I cleaned it up and will try again this weekend, but did anybody else experience this after replacement?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    That looks like grease not oil
  18. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    In that stream from behind the sprocket? Man, I hope you are right!
  19. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:

Sorry mate, it was hard to see on my phone. Mine was fixed under warranty with no issues so far but i would take that back and get them to look at it
  20. itnanti

itnanti aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer:
    READY TO RACE after I have an espresso with my tourtech espresso maker[emoji6]