Elite 110 and a Reflex?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by skyman, May 19, 2010.

1. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, I'm a newbie here and a veteran lurker. I have a new Honda Elite with just under 2000 miles and I love it! I made the choice to sell my cage and use my scoot for everyday life ( my wife has a Jetta TDI so there are choices if needed ). The Elite has great storage under the seat, great gas mileage, and goes 50 mph when needed. I must admit I have looking around for a bigger scoot to take me to different counties here around Florida. I have looked at the 400 Bergman, Silverwing, Helix and pretty much decided on a Honda Reflex. The Reflex from what I have read (never ridden one) does a good job of mixed around town and has enough speed to handle short runs on the slab. My wife is getting interested in scoots as well and wants something easy to handle with reasonable speed and economy. The plan is to purchase a Reflex and keep the Elite for now and maybe end up with two Reflex's for riding together. I would appreciate any thought you may want to send my way and input from the Reflex owners out there. Thanks
  2. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    I have owned 2 Reflexes as well as a Helix.

IMO, the Honda 250s are some of the best and most fun scoots ever made. If you love the Elite, I can't imagine that you won't love a Reflex too!

I sold my Helix and bought an HD200 - also an excellent scoot. Much faster and better on the highway than my Helix was. Can't really remember what the Reflex was like on the highway but probably the same as the HD200.

BTW - I took a 250 mile trip on my Helix - all of it on Interstates. Not the most comfy way to do that - my Silverwing is much better suited - but I wanted to see how the Helix would handle it. No problem. The Reflex will be plenty of bike for what you want to do and be a ton of fun doing it!

Go for it!!:clap
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have an '02 Reflex and just love it. It will go highway speeds (although I rarely ride it on the highway) and mine gets 66-68 mpg. There's enough storage under the seat for a full-face helmet and a few additional (small) items (gloves, etc.). I just turned 13K (yesterday). I changed the drive belt @ 11K (Honda recommends 12K) and did the brakes over the winter. The oil sump is kind of small (1.1 qts.) and there's no filter (just a screen). So, I change the oil every 4-6 weeks. I run 10W-40 in the Spring & Fall and 20W-50 in the Summer. My scoot still has the original Bridgestone Hoops and they still have good tread depth left. However, they are starting to cup (common) and I'm thinking of new tires this winter. Batteries can be kind of expensive so be sure the storage compartment light switch hasn't failed (I just pulled the bulb). There are modifications you can do to the variator so that acceleration is a little more crisp. With 250cc it can more than keep up with traffic and your wife will love the step-thru (mine does). I fabricated a rear rack to take the place of the rear 'wing' (grab handle) because I use it to commute. The previous owners were pretty tough on the bodywork but Honda sells pre-painted body panels so I'll go that route. Also, Honda seem good about supporting models that are no longer in production (in the US). I had an opportunity to buy a FL Reflex (and ride it home to Chicago). I figured that would have been a great trip. I ended up finding one "locally" (southern WI). I would think you guys would be very happy owning one (or two). The only down-side (to me) is its weight: ~380 lbs. That pretty heavy (100 lbs more than my '99 DR350SE) so be sure your wife can right the scoot if it tips over.
  4. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information you guys. I am glad to see I am on the right track. My wife got the bug during a trip to Key West where we rented a couple of scoots. She had a ball riding it all over and that was all she wrote. I am glad the reports are positive on the Reflex and the point about the weight is well taken. I will make sure she can get it back up after a lay down. The last bike I owned came in at 611lbs dry. I'm looking forward to riding together.:freaky
  5. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    so skyman give us a review on the new elite, all the pros and cons.
  6. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am amazed at how well this scoot fits into daily life. Its fuel injected so starts every time all the time at a push of a button. I get any where from 90 to 100 miles per gallon pushing it hard. It comes up on the governor at 52 MPH. There is allot left in the scoot at that speed, I was amazed with my wife and I on it the top speed was 52! Honda has it toned down for longevity I'm sure. There is a ton of room under the seat for all my crap, laptop, rain gear, and other assorted stuff. There is enough room for a case of water, 32- 16.9 oz bottles all still in the case. The Elite also has good pick up and fires right off the line and keeps up with traffic. It has good brakes and stops without fading even from a quick stop. One of the nicest things I have noticed is how bright the headlight is and the placement is just right as cars notice me and I have yet to have one pull out in front of me. The only conclusion I have come to is at the perfect height for cage drivers. Now for the down side of the scoot,,, no windshield on mine,riding in the rain is a bit of a chore but what the hell. I could get an aftermarket windshield but here in Florida its not a huge problem. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures from my Mac I will post some. Fell free to fire of questions for me if I have left anything out. :evil
  7. spotch

spotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a Reflex and I'm really happy with mine.

I would say that this is accurate... That's the reason I chose mine, at least. My last scooter topped out around 50mph, and while it was fun as hell, I wanted something that could hop on the expressway for 15-20 mins if need be. I also wanted something that was as light as possible, because around town big wheels and big weight = PITA. The Reflex pretty much fit the bill perfectly for me, and so far I'm super pleased with it.
  8. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skyman, that was a great review of your Elite. Sounds like Honda got it right with this one!

One question for you - does the Elite have a side stand?
  9. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO - Best Looking Scooter
    [​IMG]
  10. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One question for you - does the Elite have a side stand?
    The Elite does not have a side stand BUT it looks like there is a place for one. My guy at Honda told me they will be coming out with one soon. I thought that I would want one at first but the scoot is very easy to get on the center stand. The one downside I neglected to mention is the gas tank. The scoot holds one and one half gallons. It never fails to bring a smile to my face as I dig in my pocket for change as I watch the cage drivers swiping the crap out of their credit, debit cards.:roflThe problem comes in when your having so much fun riding you go damn I need gas again and it's only been 100 miles. :evil I am liking all the good reports I am getting on the Reflex. I think it's going to be a nice addition to our modest stable.
  11. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Got a huge shock when I filled the tank in my wife's Escape the other day; almost $50! It usually takes just over $8 to fill the Reflex. That'll last me the better part of two weeks.
  12. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I filled my Agility up from empty this week - $2.39 That should easily last me a month or so.
  13. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put about $2.50 in the Elite and my wife's Jetta takes about $40 bucks if it's totally empty. But on the bright side she averages about 42 MPG with it. We took a trip to see the granddaughter (340 miles and used less than a half of a tank to get there ). The tank holds 14.5 gallons so all in all not to bad for doing 75 on the slab with the air blasting. Maybe soon doing the trip on a Reflex, Hmmmmm
  14. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that's a TDi? My Beetle TDi gets anywhere from 45 (town) to 50+ (highway) and costs a little more to fill (I think I have a 15.5 gal. tank). I've found the MPG "sweet spot" is 65 mph (~2400 rpm).
  15. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it's a TDI 2009 model. I love that car, comfortable, and efficient. I don't get the mileage you are getting as the best I have done so far is 48.7. That's one of the reasons I choose the Reflex, gas mileage and cost of ownership. From what the owners are saying they get around 65 MPG. The bigger scoots are faster but use more fuel. My wife and I are making a serious attempt to rack everything back and either own everything or be damn close. This economy is hurting all most everyone. My Elite is saving me about $700 a month over my old ride. The 350Z convertible with payment, insurance, gas and maintenance was running about that a month. But damn I looked good! :eek1
  16. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I'm trying to convince my wife that a hybrid Escape would be a great replacement for her '01 with the 3.0 and 4WD. However, she doesn't want a car payment (can't blame her) and there's nothing wrong with the Escape.

Our TDIs have different engines which might explain the mileage difference. Weight (Jetta v. Beetle) doesn't seem to have much effect. I have seen/heard the new diesel in a Golf and cannot believe how quiet they are.

OK, perhaps we should return this thread to scooters and leave the diesel VWs for other Forum sites (Google 'Fred's TDi Page', if you're curious - see you there).
  17. skyman

skyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I pulled the trigger on a 2003 Yellow Elite with ABS. It had 3700 miles on her when I bought her. I found her on Craigs list about 90 miles North of where I live in Florida. I picked her up on a Friday with Thunder storm after Thunder storm rolling in off the Gulf. I did get lucky and only had to do about 30 miles of rain as I dodged Thunder Storms. So far I have added two new tires (weather checked ) and a Givi windshield. Almost forgot to mention a good cleaning as the previous owner left it out in the sun. Cleaned out wasp nests, rubbing compound to the paint and wax, and Armour all to the black plastic parts. It's funny as it is a 2003 model and most people think it is new. I only have 300 hundred miles on her now as I got held up getting new tires. Yes it is possible to have a Elite and a Reflex. :D
  18. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just came across a 2006 Elite 80. I was wondering what to expect for a reasonable top cruising speed. The seller says 47-50 per the speedo. I don't know how far off the speedo is on Hondas. Seems most scooters are at least 10%. If it'll do at least 45, I'll pull the plug. If not I'll probably go for the new 110. What say ye. It is stock.
  19. No.6

No.6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Elite 110 indicates 53-54; this matches my in-phone GPS precisely.
  20. mikenpalsie

mikenpalsie mikenpalsie

Oddometer:
    we have an 05 elite 80, and top speed is around 40-42 mph and thats wound as tight as it will go. we also have a new elite 110, and it will go 50 no problem. also the suspension is much better:D