Wings Exhaust

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by vfabrizzi, Dec 8, 2012.

1. vfabrizzi

vfabrizzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a pair of Wings Exhaust for my 2012 KTM 990 Adventure. Any opinion on the large or small db killers. Any tuning or back fire issues with either one? I appreciate any input.
  2. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
    My WINGS came with three DB killers w/ new: the medium w/ spark arrestor in, pull those and have the nozzle only, and a set of small in the box. I've never ran anything but what came set up because I like the way they sound and work(plus, I need the spark arrestors for forest work).
  3. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only had 1 DB Killer. It sounds awesome though...actually quieter than stocker...from whence can one obtain said alternate DB killers? Would like a bit more pop out of her.

BG
  4. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have wings installed on my 950 thought it was a little to load so installed in inserts and it was too quite so cut the pipe on the insert back to the mounting pipe so i'm only really reducing the outlet size and not trying to force the exhaust through the 100mm of pipe of the orignal insert, works well very nice note
  5. vfabrizzi

vfabrizzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll go with the already installed large db killers as i'm trying to add a little bark to this bike.
  6. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    With a two into one system would it be too restrictive with a DB killer in?
  7. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to play around with it but I like the stock DB inserts the best. I've gone through the exercise of trying each out for a week or more and I always come back to those. They sound good too :evil

Make sure before you put em on get comfortable with TuneECU or set up some dyno time, most likely it won't run very well if you just throw em on without a new map. I like Wayne Tripp's Acro map, but try some different one's and see what works for you, each bike has it's own set of rules.
  8. vfabrizzi

vfabrizzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression based reading comments form others that have installed wings that a dyno or remapping wasn't required. Where would I find Waynes Tripps Acro Map? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
  9. Pops of the desert

Pops of the desert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently installed Wings on my 08 990. Love the sound and runs great (small db killers). I do notice more off throttle backfire, I am not sure if it is more than with stock cans or just louder. But performance does not seem to have changed at all. It is nice to be free of the leg incinerators.
  10. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the TuneECU KTM map list that made the site

The powerTripp Acro map I'm using is for a 2010 so it may not work with your year... Not sure exactly what the difference in years would make if they are all fuel injected, but I'm still learning. I've also heard you can try SMT maps, since the engines are the same(?), but I thought the cams were different so I've never tried a SMT map
    http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770
  11. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I've been running Wings on my 990, I did not remap and the bike runs just fine. Not an issue IMHO.
  12. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    Just one tip on changing out the inserts. My Wings have the kevlar end caps and if you drop one in there it's a bitch to retrieve since the capscrews are stainless steel and therefore non-magnetic. I replaced mine with standard black steel capscrews and can now get them out easily with a magnet. FWIW.
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Wings on my 950SE (and Husaberg 570:D), and run the more restrictive baffle in both.

Not too loud, but still healthy sounding. :clap

Of course, the 950 is carbed, so I can't help you in that area.
  14. vfabrizzi

vfabrizzi Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info.