NPS passport

Discussion in 'Americas' started by vt1099ace, Dec 11, 2012.

1. vt1099ace

vt1099ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone use the national park services passport when they visit?

I was thinking of getting one and using it as a goal for trips...(visit the park, get the stamp)...try to fill the book by visiting as many as possible.

if you do use one, how do you like it?
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool, especially for those keeping a journal or creating a scrapbook with their kids.

I bought the annual pass, and it paid for itself during my 3 week trip around the western US. The passport and annual pass would make a nice gift for an avid traveler.
  3. Murray75

Murray75 Rookie

Oddometer:
    My wife has one. We bought it before a 2-up trip last summer to Yellowstone and Glacier. Initially I was thinking gimmick but after picking off 5 parks/monuments I actually like that she's interested in stamping the book. It keeps her interested and engaged as we ride around and it took us to places we might have otherwise passed by, just to hit the visitor center for the stamp. We saw some cool stuff on those little side trips. A couple things to know:

1. There are usually multiple places for stamps in any given park or monument. Yellowstone had 4 or 5, maybe more. Do as much or as little as you want in terms of hitting the spots.

2. They sell stickers to put in the book to show an image of the particular place. Otherwise, it's just blank pages with stamps, exactly like a normal travel passport. Yeah, my wife is all about the stickers too so that adds to the cost. Whatev, she's happy and out there with me on the 990...I'm happy too. Small price to pay!

I think it's worth the price of admission.
  4. vt1099ace

Oddometer:
    my last trip to point reyes was when I first seen them and thought that would make a pretty good motivator to visit as many as possible.

But I wanted to ask those who have it their (you all's) thoughts..
  5. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    I use it enough to justify the $80 cost. I usually get to Death Valley at least twice a year, that's half of it right there.

It really paid off on a three week trip through the Pacific Northwest several years back.

Even if you don't fully use it, the funds go to a great cause.
  6. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr G.
    The passport is $7, pass is $80 unless you are over 62 in which case it is $10 for a lifetime pass. Permanently disabled people can get a lifetime National Park pass free at any National Park. Active military can have a free annual pass. More info here: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

vt1099ace,
    If you and the wife really get into using the passport, then you should check this out: http://www.ironbutt.com/NPT/
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct.

The "passport" is not a national park pass. It is just a sales gimmick that you can get stamped at certain features in certain parks. I think its mainly fun for kids. Helps to keep their interest and focus.
  8. vt1099ace

Oddometer:
    that does sound...fun...just one problem, no wife :roflI'm as single as can be.
  9. vt1099ace

Oddometer:
    takes up less space in a saddlebag than collecting spoons or plates. :D
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your old enough, be sure to buy a one time cost "Senior pass" & save on every entry from there on until you have the big one, Elizabeth.
  11. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a permantly damaged leg, this only will be issued if you have a disability that effects your walking abilities, not your head disabilities.......:D........but most will still give it if you show them your SS Disability statement. I get free lifetime access to any NP and normally 1/2 price camping. I camped one place last summer for $3 that had the cleanest showers I have seen. I camped in Yellowstone for $12.50 a nite, with no cost to enter the park. It only cost me a leg.:evil
  12. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to pay for the annual pass before I head off on the bike this spring. I am buying it, although I get SSDI... I don't want to have to explain myself as disabled although riding a Buell. I have the money so I will pay the 80 bucks.

If you hit more than 16 parks with a 5 dollar entrance fee, it will pay for itself anyhow. I plan to hit more than 25 of them on my trip... and just put the pass in the see through pocket on my nerd vest (hi viz vest).

It is entirely worth it if you have plans to do a lot of the National Parks. It does not, however, give you a discount on camping fees, so you will still have to pay up the first time you come in to set up your tent.
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

Guess my wife and I are still kids, then . . . . .we dig using the passport, and the pic of me getting my Senoir Pass last summer at Zion is a treasure, far as I'm concerned.

If you enjoy souveniers, most to the National Parks I've seen in the last 10 years or so sell bandanas . . .. and what rider couldn't use another bandana?

Additionally, stamping the passsport means you go into the visitor cernter, and learn about some of hte programs offered . . . .we never would have known about the stargazing talk at Bryce if we'd not gone in . . . and it was a highlight of our visit.
  14. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2009, I bought the Annual Pass and went all over the US visiting parks as a reason to ride. I ended up in 42 states and 168 parks. It was an absolute blast and I even learned a bit more US history, if you're serious about doing it, there's even an IronButt Association certificate available if you visit 50 parks in 25 states within 12 months. It's called the National Parks Tour.

All the parks are listed at http://www.nps.gov

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=11. For the IBA ride rules.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    While not the purpose of the thread, do you find it necessary to "explain your disability" -thats kinda crappy! -even in a place/state/KY where far too many not so disabled are on the draw via hungry lawyers that do the billboard thing everywhere. It's a cash cow for the legal trade but then again, you should have to explain your self to enter a park???
  16. sarelp

sarelp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently planning this trip to collect the National Park stamps for my Iron Butt certificate and I was wondering if anybody has done this before? I would like to get some ideas and what to do and what not? The plan is to start here in Indiana and ride out east and collect the stamps ( at least two per state ) from here to SC and then work my way up north all the way to ME and back via Niagara Falls. My biggest concern is the Washington DC and New York City area???? I did get my OH, IN and WV stamps collected already. It sure is fun and challenging. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks