The new WC BMW R1200RS and R

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Deans BMW, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jwoods986

jwoods986 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1!
    YJake likes this.
  2. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Why da heck is the analog display speed, not RPM?? This is not a diesel airport shuttle bus, for crying out loud.

Other than that, I have no problem with the general layout of the dash. I like it better than some of the recent digital only jobs from Ducati, Kawi and Yami.
  3. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. I like to see an analog tach with a conventional redline, and a big, switchable, MPH/KPH numeric display alongside. Us folk up here in the northern parts of the country often visit our Canadian cousins & an easy switch between klicks & miles comes in handy.
  4. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. I like the RS design but the thought of having that display kills it for me. Why did they not use the RT's display? Two large dials, loads of info on the display in between, and oh.. FM RDS radio with an external antenna too..
    @BMW: Voice Of the Customer. I'll now keep my bike up to the next surprise model launch
  5. Krakatoa

Krakatoa Waiting...

Oddometer:
    I agree the analog display should be the tach and a large digital display for the speed. Perhaps the display is configurable in software and the above view is just one possibility.

In any event I will need to wait until 2016 for my next bike, but if the reviews are good, this could be the bike I have been waiting for.

I had an F800GT and thought it was a little small and underpowered. The RT when I sat on it seemed too much stuff, like being in a car.

The new RS seems just about perfect.
  6. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R will likely be my next bike, but where I have no issue buying a first year Yamaha, I will have to wait three years for BMW to iron out the kinks.
  7. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do wish theyd offer an optonal lighter rear subframe like the 9t for people who don't turn their bikes into uhauls.
  8. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1.000 As the new rear subframe is just bolt-on, i'd like to see a minimal rear frame too. Cutting the original frame doesn't do it. I'd thought BMW would have played with that, but no..
  9. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    Another interesting spec is suspension travel: back and front 140 mm. This is rather generous for a street bike and I feel it can prove comfortable but also handy on bad surfaced roads. I really dig this bike although I am a trailie fan.
  11. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    A trip to the BMW dealer to look at these new models will be fun.

The RS looks nice. I'm gonna miss the telelever, though.
  12. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the RS!

So many great bikes coming out these days.
  13. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:

I love this bike. I ride a 2011 1200GS and this fixes my only two gripes. Too tall and front suspension. May visit the dealer soon. And no, I don't ride off road.
  14. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, I wonder why they didn't use the S1000R dash, it's minimal and very functional
    [​IMG]
  15. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

agree.

the dash shown earlier for the R1200RS is close to a deal breaker. (I would also have preferred they stick with their Telelever also. another disappointment they gave into the masses instead of standing by their engineering)

both weak decisions by BMW.
  16. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I've ridden telelever and conventional forks. Frankly, I'm comfortable with both. On a mile muncher I prefer the former and in the twisties, the later. But it's not a biggee and probably my opinion is more wheelbase related.

Both the R and RS look good.

I'll check them out.
  17. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    About all the Dash Whining...

I'm ok with it. I haven't bothered with a Tach in ages. Why?

Boxer motors have three very distinctive steps in the power band. I've never had a question figuring out where I am i the power band. Same thing with my Ducati. On the WR I'm not quite as sure but the rev-limiter takes care of that for me. Hit the correct vibe pattern and I know when to shift. It takes care of itself with a few thousand miles of riding.

Unless I miss the intent, the gist is that you set the bike up at the start of the ride and then just ride it. On the fly changes for suspension are straightforward enough. I've ridden enough full ESA bikes (S1k, 1krr most recently) and their dashes aren't great for figuring out what mode one is in.

IMO, the only thing that is absolutely necessary is a Fuel Gauge and the speedo. The rest of it just settles the worry wort in us down a bit.

(*Admittedly, I do like the gear indicator but even that isn't necessary.)
  18. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    For every person Bmw loses for lack of telelever, they gain 10 people for...you guessed it... lack of telelever.
  19. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    The good news is that the wasserboxer mechanics have been out for the last year or so in the GS & RT. Kinks already being worked out, no need for the self denial trip
  20. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    ++1. Tachs are useless with modern engine controls, just another entertaining gimmick IMO.