Ulysses vs. Multistrada

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Jawk, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jawk

Jawk Im lost again.

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Really enjoying the site...!
    Have narrowed down the bike choices to the Ducati and the Buell. Both are plenty comfy, powerful enough, handle well, have an X factor (there is more Multistradas ouot there than Buells tho...).

It has come down to what is the bike going to be like in 20000 - 30000km... will it still be holding together well, has the build quality been good enough, has the resale dropped too much etc?

Im under the impression that the duc' will be fine - how have the Buells held up now theyve been out a while? Also, how is it for the hoome mechanic (as a measure - Im comfortable working on the Ducati )?

Thanks in advance:clap
    Gary

Beechworth, Victoria - Oz
  2. FT BSTRD

FT BSTRD Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer:
    TN, WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP ARE SCARED
    The Ducati will hold it's resale value better by far.

Initial buld quality is equal, and I believe long term build quality will be about the same if not a bit of a nod to the Ducati.

The real issue is going to be ease of maintenance and parts prices.

Buell parts are very cheap in comparison to other makes. Ducati parts are on the highest end of the parts spectrum.

Buells have one of the easiest maintenance schedules. No valves to adjust. Easy to work on. Lots of specialized repair shops available.

Certified Ducati shops are going to be harder to come by and the maintenance is more involved. Not unbearable just more involved.

Both bikes have their charms.

You have narrowed your choices down to Ginger and Mary Ann.

[​IMG]

I was always a Mary Ann fan myself. :deal
  3. L_JE

L_JE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride them both. Get the one that gives you the bigger smile.

I've got both. I ride the Ulysses, and my wife rides the 1000S Multistrada. I just don't get the Multistrada, for whatever that's worth.

I've put 16,000 trouble-free miles on my Uly in 9 months. My wife and I have put about 3,000 on the Multi in 4 months, without any problems.

Qualitative Warm and Fuzzy Stuff [you won't find in other reviews]
    With the Multistrada, you can hang out at Multistrada.net, where you can all talk about how sexy your bike is...with other guys.

With the Ulysses, you can hang out at BadWeatherBikers.com, where you can flame each other over everything imaginable.

With either bike, you can hang out at AdvRider.com, where you'll get no respect from anyone because you own a poser adventure bike with a 17" front tire. Come on, how are you going to cross over that 20" fallen log with a 17" tire? Sheeesh!

With a Multistrada, your motto will be "I'm too sexy for this road"

With a Ulysses, your motto will be "I hate myself, but sometimes I don't"

Objective Stuff [objective, just like the advise you get from your neighbor's dog when he speaks to you through the slats in the fence]
    Forget the spec sheet, there is no discernable difference in performance between the Uly and MTS 1000S.

Both bikes are twins. Twins are gooooooooood.

The MTS's motor is rev-happy and spins well at the higher rpms.
    The Uly's motor is more mellow with lots of punch down low.

The Multi will beat the Uly off the line, but on the Uly you won't care because your front tire is in the air, and that's always more fun.

The Uly has a more plush suspension set-up.

I can get my Uly's suspension to do whatever I want, regardless of the load. I cannot get the MTS's suspension to a point where I am happy.

The 1000 Multi sets up a buzz in the handlebars, almost like an inline 4.

For two up riding, my wife and I both cast our vote for the Uly.

On the Uly, your right thigh will get hot.
    On the Multi, your left thigh will get hot.

The Multi will feel lower to the ground.

You can drop your Uly all day long with little consequence.
    Only a mental patient would willingly drop a Multi.

The Multi has a chain. I now know that chains suck.

The Multi has a 6 speed, which I believe to be one too many.
    The Uly has a 5 speed, and will hopefully never sprout a 6th.

There's more, but I need to go consult with my neighbor's dog, first.

4. Jawk

Jawk Im lost again.

Oddometer:
    okay - which one is Mary-anne.... I like that one... yeah:wink:

Thanks fellas... ridden a couple of mulits now, rode a buell about 6 months ago, having another ride tonight:evil

Cheers
    Gary
  5. Jawk

Jawk Im lost again.

Oddometer:
    .....oh, one thing with the Buell - do I get all uppity about oil consumption, or get over it and ride (with an oil bottle stored somewhere on the bike)?

-Gary
  6. FT BSTRD

Oddometer:
    Mary Ann is the Uly.

Only a Ducati could be characterized as an "exotic red head". :deal

As far as oil consumption, I use about 4 ounces between 2500 mile oil changes. Is that oil useage, blow by, breakdown, or airbreather rebreathing? I don't know. I just don't get concerned about it. On long rides, I do tuck a bottle in just in case, but I have NEVER had to actually pull it out to use it (not if I actually checked it correctly before I left).

My oil consumption stems from my riding style. I keep the engine spooled around the 4000-4500 mark with jaunts to the rev limiter quite often.

When I ride sainly, I have zero consumption.

Air cooled engines do tend to have looser tolerances than do water cooled engines. Ducatis tend to be tighter than Buells but looser than an IL4.

Both the Buell and the Ducati will consume SOME oil.

It really depends on how "upity" you want to be.
  7. FT BSTRD

Oddometer:
    I always thought Ginger's boobs were in her arm pits.

Maybe she's a BMW. :huh
  8. atoms

atoms drunk

Oddometer:
    I would marry Mary Anne, but if it was a one-night stand situation, well...

So the answer is the same. They are both hot, but in the long term, I'll take solid american utility over the sexy high maintenance italian.

Did I actually say that out loud?
  9. GravelDawg

GravelDawg When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Nah, more likely a "girlie" Tiger. :wink:
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Good post :thumb
  11. L_JE

L_JE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My neighbor's dog told me to tell you that my Buell doesn't seem to consume any measureable amount of oil over the course of 2500-3000 miles.

The XB oil res has a very high aspect ratio, and the oil level is a very strong function of temperature. I think some reports of oil excessive consumption are due the oil levels being read while at different temperatures.

Over on Multistrada.net, the 1050 Tiger was being dissed because it didn't have an oil sight-window, and the very thought of using a dipstick was a huge pain. So, you've got to ask yourself, "Are you too sexy for a dipstick? Well, are you, punk?" [ya gotta say that last part like Clint Eastwood for the full effect; being from Oztralia, I don't know how that's going to work with the accent]
    ...and over at www.triumph.com , they seem to have their panties in a bunch. Is it because of the lack of an oil sight-window? I don't know...

[if you didn't follow that link, well, your loss, pal!]

12. bosh

bosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your neighbor has a smart dog.
    My 12X doesn't use any oil either.

Dipsticks are so primitive.... eewwww!
  13. Ruff Ride

Ruff Ride road worthy dirt hack

Oddometer:
    FT BSTRD,

Wish you were not on the other side of the US I would love to hang out. You make me laugh out loud almost every time I read one of your posts.

Jawk,

If you got the money to take care of the Duc then it is down to what bike do you enjoy the most or gives you the biggest grin every time you get on it.
    If you are worried about resale then you are not planning on keeping it long and I would buy used. It will have toys added on for no money out of your pocket and the big hit on resale has already happened.

If it were me; I hate chains yup they are better than ever but....

Long 680 mile ride, stop at hotel, check in, unload bike, get a beer with the BMW boys. All others should be cleaning and adjusting the chain so they can repeat the process the next day. Oh yes the chain oiler I installed blah blah. Cant hear you drinking:freaky
  14. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Having just "unloaded" my Multi in favor of the Uly I will toss out my opinion.

Things I liked\loved about the Multi:
    1. Engine. The dual spark 992 was a gem. Great torgue. Spun up quick. etc. Hero at 5k RPM as a friend put it.
    2. Handling was on par with many sportbikes but with more rational position.
    3. I had a full Duc performance kit. Full Termi exhaust, ECU and airfilter. I do not think there is a better sounding thing than this bike with the Termi's.
    4. Went with the FBF open clutch cover and loved the rattle of the dry clutch.

Things that gave me the ass about the Multi:
    1. Tried using the only two dealers in my area and they both pretty much sucked. First one did not have a clue. Second one just plain ole tried to screw me.
    2. Working on it. Doing anything beyond basic maintenance was probably one of the most PITA experiences about owning this bike. And $150+ for a service manual???
    3. I am well over 6' and after my third aftermarket seat and second set of aftermarket bars I finally threw in the towel. Could not get this bike set up comfortably.
    4. Cost of anything from Ducati. Including anything done at the dealer.
    5. Some of the elitest knuckleheads who cannot see the forest for the trees when dealing with this bike and the dealers.
    6. Gas mileage with the Performance package just wasn't that good. Best I ever got on this bike was 38.

Things I like\love about the Uly.
    1. The motor is perfect for street riding. Torque is amazing and the power is just right.
    2. The handling, once the suspension is dialed, is perfect for real world riding. With the right set of tires on this bike you will feel like Rossi. An older\much slower version but Rossi none the less.
    3. Maintenance compared to other bikes in non existant. No chain, no valve adjustments, no worries. The only thing that had me scratching my head was the rear spark plug but that has worked itself out.
    4. Most comfortable, out of the box, bike I have ever owned. Do not really need to change a thing ergo wise . Already clocked a couple of 300+ mile days and was ready for more.
    5. The fuel mileage for a bike that works this well is amazing. I average between 45 and 50. I actually get better mileage when I flog the crap out it.

Things to think about that may be negatives:
    1. Will have to deal with HD dealers where to many of them the Buells are the redheaded step child.
    2. Annoying looks and comments from Duc riding friends when you are paying <$200 every 10K for maintenance and they simply are not. 6K service on my Multi cost me $790......WTF. And if you Duc lovers would like a copy of the invoice I will gladly send you a copy.
    3. You will ride the Uly far more then seems fitting for a responsible adult. I had my Duc for about 4 months before getting my 06 Night Train. The Duc sat a lot after this point because I was just completely turned off to the whole Ducati experience. Since bringing the Uly home the Night Train has had a pretty good rest. I walk into the garage, think about how much damn fun this bike is, and the choice is simple.

There are those that love the Ducs and those that love the Uly. I take the Buell hands down no matter the arguments against it.
  15. CanyonChaser

CanyonChaser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a horrible analogy! There is no way on gods green earth that Mary Ann could be compared to the Uly or vise-versa.

dp
  16. FT BSTRD

Oddometer:
    Please explain your discomfort?

You would ride both within an inch of their lives and enjoy every moment of it.

Ginger is higher maintenance than is Mary Ann.

Ginger comes in Red.

Mary Ann comes in black.

Ginger has many more accessories than does Mary Ann.

Both are "sport" models as opposed to Mrs. Howell who is definitely a "cruiser".

I'm sure I'll come up with others.

Ruff, you got it. I would love to ride in your neck of the woods. There is simply that friggin' wasteland of the midwest keeping us apart. :deal
  17. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Fatty, you made me spill my beer with that one...
  18. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    etc. Best Post!
  19. FT BSTRD

Oddometer:
    We are talking about motorcycles, right? :deal
  20. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer: