The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing I was suprised by was how the "fangs" tuck into the bike nicely. In pictures it was the first thing I saw, but in person it was a much more cohesive part of the design. At first there was a lot of talk on here about whether they were funcional or purely a design idea, but it does seem there were put there to cover up the radiators . The other thought I heard was that they would snap off in the first tumble. While I'm sure that's possible you can see from the front shot that they probably wouldn't be the first thing to hit, especially if you had cases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    slippy, the spork is the forked beak, not the rad covers.
  3. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, noted
  4. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics and here's one of mine Spork: [​IMG]
  5. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EJ, I was thinking of the same idea exactly. You got it out first.

Guys, Norway or Sweden, if we know the current price of the Camhead and newly released price of the Wethead, the difference in percentage will give any body in the world an idea of the difference in their country. It won't be exact, but close enough. +/- $200 won't be noticeable. What would be noticeable is the final price, including all the option you would want now. Compared with what you would have settled for in Camhead with it's options. Now add the taxes, 'cause higher amount will also increase your taxes, unlike freight charges, which remains constant.

In a month, I'll be going to the motorcycle show, let's put a list of questions and specific pictures that you would want, and I'll see if I can get 'em all taken care off.
  6. Edwardbikerider

Edwardbikerider Bikerider

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone!

I'm a new member from sweden and this is my first post! And sorry for my bad english!

The base price in sweden on the old 2012 GS is 147000 SEK. The base price on the new LC GS is 149000 SEK, that includes heated grips.

In sweden we have an option called Dynamic, the price of that one is 18000 SEK. Dynamic includes ESA, ASC and full LED on the bike.

Spoked wheels: 4000SEK
    Tire pressure control: 2200SEK

This is what i'm found out so far, so the price can be changed. Next week i'm going to visit the dealer again and see if he have any news.
  7. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info....so base price went up by about 2,000 SEK...that is about $300US, but the new bike includes ABS and on the one you looked at, heated grips. So that's a pretty good deal then. Translating the price of the Dynamik package, that would be about $2,700US.

Forgot to say, welcome to the forum!
  8. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    I wonder how stiff those 'fangs' are..... as they seem to trap air in the area of the radiator at speed
  9. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    paralevers on the wrong side - whats that all about?

(yes I know there are other models with it on that side but....)
  10. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked into this as well and did some simple conversions that are probably not accurate, just speculative. With the MSRP of a 2012 (since it includes ABS) at $16,150 in the US, that gives about a 74.2% difference in the converted Swedish price for a 2012 R1200GS and the US price. Looking at the new Swedish price and taking 74.2% of that (when converted to USD), I got $16,372.64, so only a little more than a $200 increase. I am kind of doubtful that the heated grips will be standard equipment in the US but that is a $250 option in previous models so it would make the price of a new water-cooled GS about equal to the 2012 GS if it was standard. Doubtful, but we can hope :D.
  11. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck for the number of bikes BMW sold on the current platform, they should be able to sell them 10% less than the current MSRP. The current GS has been a complete cash-cow....they sell every single one made and the models have not changed enough from year to year that major factory re-tooling had to be done. What a bike...very few that can make similar claims.

:freaky
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Was discussed before and BMW gives an explanation:

That's straight from the press material.
  13. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    And don't forget, ABS is standard now...so if base price stays almost the same that's really equivalent to about a $1,000 drop.
  14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I bet they certainly could sell them for less, but as you say they sell every one they make so why should they?
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Extra stiff fangs will be available through Touratech :D
  16. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep!! Fo shizzle!
  17. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol +1
  18. Alpha Wolfman

Alpha Wolfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally I want flexable fangs. if something breaks I want it to be the fang not the fang mount. I crash my dirt bikes all the time (pretty good at crashing...) and their shrouds stick out much further, but just flex most of the time. That said the handlebars, most of the time, act as kind of a crash bar for the shrouds.

No mater the exact price this new information makes me believe that the pricing will be in the same ballpark which gives us a "target" to plan for. I am much more comfortable now (already ordered one with no pricing).

Going to the motorcycle show this Friday in San Mateo can't wait to get my hands on it.:D:evil
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Same here - really want to sit on it. But more important: waiting on the demo models. I'll definitely not get one of the first release models but will wait for the "fine-tuned" second year. Have done too much beta testing in my life already. :lol3
  20. paulhdick

paulhdick Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What makes you think the new R1200GS will be at the bike show this weekend?? Did one of the shops say it would be there? I hope it is but in my history of going to the show over the past 20-30 years BMW rarely has the new models at the US shows this early in the next model year.

Was in Germany, Belgium, and England the last two weeks and they have all of the new t-shirts, brochures, posters, etc for the 2103 model but in the US even those are not availalble yet. Post pictures if it is there. I was planning on going Sat, or Sun.