Bike for a short person?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by brandonmccann, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Coachgeo

Coachgeo Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOW: Dayton OH area recent past WAS: North TX
    ok stupid question that will probably get moved but think it fits here in this topic.

custom boots with taller souls. Not 1970's pimp tall mind you.......... but an inch? Might need to customize gear shift lever to get your toe under it but would allow someone to get closer to doing a flat foot. Besides.......... if you really do adventure bike road which includes ruts, water crossings etc. then taller boot might be better than loss of ground clearance via a lowered bike. Also can't lowering the bike change the manoeuvrability for the worse?

Some research found this but from a VERY old thread. More options may be out there now?

"
  2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    boots don't have souls.
  3. brandonmccann

brandonmccann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Later this weekend ;)
  4. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll be waiting.

Sarah
  5. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Well they do say a pair of shoes is an extension of ones soul in the journey of life. So........... maybe they do:lobby

but lets get back to this fella's goal of finding a bike that fits short folk.

Maybe find a way to test fit those boots that are talller (hate to say......... but here Harley has some too) and measure your new inseam....... maybe test ride a bike to where they sell them lol......... then walk outside in the boots and sit on the bike?
  6. brandonmccann

brandonmccann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extra nice!

Sarah
  8. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is to bad that the manufactors did not think about sqeezing up the upper and lower frame rails "from top to bottom," then make it so tall people can raises the bike giving them crazy ground clearance, yet those of us that are verticly challanged get something that we can ride with out worring about the bottom out thing that happens more often when we lower the units.

I know that many hours go into engineering bikes, but there must be away to lift the bottom frame rails a few inches so people can lower them a bit so me can get our feet on the ground. Lots of people would buy bikes that they can ride, but the height factor of many units out there prevents these folks from even looking at many of their models. It was a good thing that the V Strom 650 come along for many buddy and me. I have a 32 1/2" seam, and buddy has a 31 1/2". The V fits both of us well with our riding boots.

From Jeathrow Bowdean
  9. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    You can ride just about any bike you want as long as your intestinal fortitude can withstand looking "different" than your fellow rider. Just add soles to your boots. This isn't Highschool or Jr. High is it? For the few who think it is. Tell them your a Pimp and be done with it. Might need to custom make/modify a shift lever to fit under a tall soled boot but........ that's simple in the overall scheme of things.

My ride (which is under the knife right now) will be a Triumph Tiger 1997 beast. Choose the bike for several reasons and one sit on it told me it wont fit my 31" in seam w/out loosing all of its ground clearance. So now goes the search for used Daytona M-Stars w/understanding might have to add a bit more to heel still. If can't find them will have to go with another brand and add 1" or more. Planing Lot of practice in the boots, light jogging, foot dragging on bike etc. to stamp into my motor cortex how far my new foot is from Terra Firma to help prevent injury.
  10. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The boots are the best bag for the buck I guess, but it would be nice see a change up in design, but that is like wishing to be tall. Ha Ha

From Jeathrow Bowdean
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm short(5'8.5" & 28.5" inseam) & my legs are short. I wear Sidi boots(like them alot!) & I absolutely don't want a 1" thick boot! @ 69 I could care less about the look,that's just not what I want to wear,plus my books barely fit under the shifter now and I've got it adjusted out to suit me as best will move.
    Fact is mfg's need to spend more effort building bikes that work for short men & many women as they ride more all the time. In fact, Rider has an article this month on several "short" bikes.