Little day trips in Idaho

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by His Pistolship, Nov 19, 2013.

1. His Pistolship

His Pistolship Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I just thought I would post some pics from my day trips in Idaho from this last summer. All of these pics were taken within 3 hrs drive of Idaho Falls, ID, - my home town.

Overlooking Idaho Falls, ID, looking west. Extinct Volcano's are in the far left.

[​IMG]

Ririe, on Hwy 26.

[​IMG]

Skyline Drive, south of Palisades Reservoir.

[​IMG]

South of Arco.

[​IMG]

Bone, ID. This is a buddies ranch. I shoot rock chucks near here.

[​IMG]

Bone, closer to the South West side of Palisades Reservoir, and north of Grays lake. Looking west towards the Lemhi Range.

[​IMG]

Bone, ID. Bone is the moniker, and the central outpost for a larger area of SE Idaho highlands, SE of Idaho Falls, ID.
    [​IMG]

Ririe, ID, at the Blacktail REservoir.

[​IMG]

Looking towards Blackfoot, ID, on Blackfoot Reservoir Rd.

[​IMG]

Island Park, ID. 30 min from Yellowstone Park.
    [​IMG]

St. Anthony Sand Dunes. Just a bunch of sand north of Rexburg, ID, and an hour away from Yellowstone Park.

[​IMG]

Wilderness near Sage Junction/Rexburg/Egin.

[​IMG]

Sunset in Idaho Falls.

[​IMG]

Big South Butte, Arco Desert. There is a road to the top this butte. It climbs 2,500 ft to the top. The views are pretty amazing. It is an extinct volcano, created by the Yellowstone hotspot.

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the top of Big South Butte, looking north towards Arco. The tallest mountain in the back ground is Mt. Borah, which rises to 12,700 feet.

[​IMG]

View from the top looking towards the west.

[​IMG]

Elephant Butte, with the Big South Butte in the distance. Arco Desert. Also extinct volcano's.

[​IMG]

Near Wolverine Canyon, and Bone.

[​IMG]

Same as above.
    [​IMG]

Bone.

[​IMG]

St. Anthony Sand dunes/wilderness northwest of Rexburg.

[​IMG]

Abandoned mines above Mackay, ID. This road takes you from town up to the top of this mountain, and it is littered with abandoned mines. They have a road tour set up. Pretty cool stuff. Lots of heavy metals came from here, including gold and silver.

[​IMG]

North of Mackay, ID, on Hwy 93.

[​IMG]

City of Rocks, Almo, ID. This place is pretty awesome. About 10 miles north of UT border.

[​IMG]

The outpost hotel in Almo, ID.

[​IMG]

Almo, ID, looking east.

[​IMG]

Interstate 84, looking west towards Almo, ID. Just 10 miles north of UT.
    \
    [​IMG]

45 miles southwest of Pocatello, ID.

[​IMG]

Elba, ID. Looking towards Almo, and City of Rocks area.

[​IMG]

Bear Creek Rd., south side of Palisades Res. Looking East towards Alpine, Wy.

[​IMG]

Skyline Drive, south side of Palisades Res. Looking towards Caribou mountain.

[​IMG]

At the top of this awesome 6 mile trail that takes off from Bear Creek Rd. South side of palisades, looking north.

[​IMG]

(This is a day trip, but in Smiths Ferry, ID, an hour north of Boise on state highway 55. This is the Payette River. This is 5 hours from home, as opposed to the rest of these pics, which are much closer to Idaho Falls, ID.)

[​IMG]

A very small branch of Palisades Reservoir.

[​IMG]

Ririe, ID, on highway 26.

[​IMG]
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  2. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...........:thumb
  3. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Pic's, thanks for taking us along... :clap
  4. Ojai GS guy

Ojai GS guy Been there-Done that

Oddometer:
  5. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.
  6. Hicketts

Hicketts n00b

Oddometer:
    Where any of those taken down by Soda Springs. I spent some time there a couple of years ago, what a beautiful area.
  7. acidman1968

acidman1968 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! I never got to see all those areas when I lived up in that part of the country - mainly because my only mode of transportation was a '79 Datsun 280ZX which would high-center on a walnut, so taking it off pavement was not going to happen!

Throw up a few more pics of your wanderings! :clap:clap

...and you really should post a description / location for each of those pics above.:deal
  8. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    We are fortunate indeed ...

:thumb
  9. Glenno

Glenno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful country! I had to google map Idaho Falls to see the area. I spent ten days in Coeurd'alene Idaho :D back some years visiting my wife's friends. Probably 10 to 15 hours drive from your area. Pictures look great. Massive open space! I'm on Long Island in NY. No open spaces really.:huh
  10. His Pistolship

Oddometer:

Locations added. With the exception of two day trips, all of the others were without a route planned. I just had a general idea of where I wanted to end up, and which mountain ranges I wanted to cross. There are so many dirt roads in the area, that you can get almost anywhere, and still know where you are because sight distances are so vast. I love riding in the west because the scenery changes every 10 seconds, unlike the East, where you are still surrounded by trees, no matter where you are. The west cannot be beat in that regard; variety of scenery, and sight distance.
  11. His Pistolship

Oddometer:

Thanks Glenno.
  12. XTorDRZ

XTorDRZ n00b

Oddometer:
    All my riding is in Colorado and Utah. Great pictures. Makes me want to quit the job right now and go riding. I need to expand my horizons and get to Idaho.
  13. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. I passed through Idaho Falls this summer. Had to get a new tire mounted there, actually, thanks to a nail I picked up around Arco. Of all the states I passed through on the 3 weeks I was riding, I think Idaho was my favorite.
  14. His Pistolship

Oddometer:

Many are north of Soda Springs by about 50 miles (Bone, ID pics). Palisades Res. is about 90 miles north of Soda. All of the south east highlands have awesome riding and excellent scenery. Strawberry pass is great (in between Montpelier and Preston). The paved road from Soda east towards Freedom, WY is awesome. I have about 100 more pics from near the Soda area, just a bit south of Bone and closer to Blackfoot REs., but that was done on another bike and two summers ago. I can post if you would like, but I tried to keep this to this summer's riding.

Here are some pics from closer to Soda:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the road going from Soda to Freedom, WY.

[​IMG]

Near Gray's Lake:

[​IMG]

Here is that paved road from Soda to Freedom, WY, near Gray's lake:

[​IMG]
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  15. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photos, beautiful country!
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    We gotta do the ADV Starbucks thang one day soon, H.P. Maybe even get Questor out of his cave.
  17. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics. It all looks like home. I'm always thankful for gasoline and motor to pull those ranges together.
  18. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Totally. I don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier. I should be back out there again this summer. It would be great to have some compatriots on these rides.

Funny thing, I actually ran out of gas on one of these day trips (the one with the sand dunes, go figure). I had to push the bike for 4 miles while in Island Park before I could find someone to run me into a store to buy some gas. All of these rides were done solo.

Yes, lets do this. I'll be home for X-mas break, and I'm down to meet up then too, even if it isn't on the bikes.
  19. oldoval

oldoval Your Ad Here

Oddometer:
    Awesome photography.........I love Idaho. :thumb

20. acidman1968

acidman1968 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the location additions!

I graduated from Eastern Idaho Technical College back in '92 and moved away shortly after graduation. Since then, I haven't spent much time in Idaho at all - mainly just passing through on my way to Montana.

Post up more pics! :clap:clap:clap