Throttle recall FU!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tollster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine is in pretty bad shape after the KTM shop performed a throttle recall on his new KTM. I don't know all the details, but this is his wifes facebook post. What do ya'll think? Could this be a legal issue due to negligence, I'm sure his medical bills and lost wages will be triple digits.

New dirt bike: $8000. Cost to fix throttle safety recall on new dirt bike: free. Cost when "fixed" recall fails: femur break requiring 4 hour surgery including removal of broken and replacement with new rod, broken back at T6 which needs a custom made brace and several broken ribs. Please send prayers our way for my husband.
  2. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    I would immediately say take it off FB take it off here and consult an attorney.
  3. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
  4. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what model bike does he have?
  5. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    Not sure which one, I know it was on the recall list, and the dealer performed the fix. She said they secured a lawyer yesterday. I would imagine it would be filed against the dealership as the manufacturer did everything they could.
    I don't know all the details and just assuming. Chappy is in pretty bad shape. It could have been worse, but he's pretty FU.
  6. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is not good. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
  7. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    He said the throttle stuck WOT and he was doing about 60 when he was ejected, bounce at least 5 times.
    They where able to secure the bike in the basement. I told them to leave it as is until they can investigate the throttle assembly.
  8. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Not to minimize the accident, but the clutch controls power to the rear wheel.

Hope he has a speedy recovery and is able to ride again some day.
    BIG-E likes this.
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 300 XC-W and had the recall fix done. I have since not had a problem at all and have ridden two enduros and many trail rides since.

Recall Summary:

Name of product:
    2013 KTM 85 SX, 85 SXS, 125 SX, 150 SX, 150 XC, 200 XC-W, 250 SX, 250 XC, 250 XC-W, 300 XC and 300 XC-W and 2012 and 2013 Husaberg TE 250 and TE 300.

Hazard:
    During use, the throttle cable can malfunction and result in an uncontrollable throttle. This poses a crash hazard to the rider.

Remedy:
    Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled KTM and Husaberg motorcycles and contact a KTM or Husaberg authorized dealer to schedule a free repair.

el queso, the clutch engages and disengages power from the engine to the drive train, yes, but ultimately the throttle controls engine RPM and with clutch engaged that power is going to the rear wheel. This issue is with the Domino throttle housing, not the clutch.:deal

Domino made a batch of 2 stroke throttle housings that had a improperly made cable pulley. The pulley might allow the throttle cable wire to jump out of the outside groove in the pulley and get stuck between the pulley and the housing, effectively locking the throttle at whatever position it is in when the cable jumps out of the pulley.

The pulley is the white plastic piece in this pic:

[​IMG]

Anyone who has one of the effected bikes: don't ride until you get the Domino housing swapped out by KTM for a new unaffected one!

Also, the blame here is with Domino, not KTM. All KTM can do in this situation is make Domino fix the design of the housing and send them new unaffected ones.
  10. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Yup, got that. But twist your throttle up to 9000 RPM while engaging the clutch and you'll still go zero miles per hour. So the throttle is the problem, but the clutch would have been the solution (to not ending up in the hospital). :thumb
  11. FixxiT

FixxiT Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of an injury accident..wishing speedy recovery :nod
    Makes me think though..no killswitch on the bars?...:scratch
  12. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be first to admit that I am not the caliber of rider that a lot of you are, but as the victim of a stuck throttle on a dirt bike (CR 250) I can say that things can happen so fast that you have no time to react...rough bouncy terrain, bike wheeling out from under you, etc. And it happens in a nano second! I would assume quite a bit different than on the street if you had a smooth open road ahead of you. YMMV
  13. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    Had something similar happen with my 300xc 2012 model where the throttle cable housing goes into the carb can come out and it will jam the throttle full on. safety wire and ingenuity only let it happen once. definitely a weird feeling and surprising one but not really uncontrollable.
  14. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I would have expected to see one of the big KTM's listed since this is the Orange Crush thread. :D:D

Dave
  15. DeepInIt

DeepInIt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes cross-threading is good with a motorcycle. :D

I got to tell two friends about it that hadn't heard but had problems. One guy cleaned and lubed the assembly after three rides because he was having problems. This explains it. Of course here in Argentina, there is no warranty replacement because the parts aren't allowed into the country. :deal

A lot of LC8 owners have smaller bikes too and for some reason they tend to be orange as well.:freaky
    ONandOFF likes this.
  16. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I had my throttle on my 2003 300EXC stick while off roading. Couldn't get the kill switch button due to bouncing around and didn't want to blow the motor.
    Hopped off the back (seemed like a good idea at the time) going probably 25-30mph.
    I remember watching the bike go from between my legs, and then it was all pain and tumbling after that!

Somehow no injuries other than sore toes from smashing into the front of my boots, sore hips and ankles from the impact.

These things DO happen fast and sometimes there is nothing you can do. Hope the OP's friend recovers well.
  17. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. We all know the clutch engages and disengages power to the drivetrain and that a kill switch exists. However, from what I have heard too is that it happens so fast that it is highly unlikely to react fast enough, or be able to actually hit the kill switch or pull the clutch given how abrupt the increase in speed and bumpiness is.

Anyway, I hope for a speedy recovery for the affected.
  18. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Maybe an auto clutch with a left hand rear brake?
  19. Jrmobb

Jrmobb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    x2 on the clutch controls the power, not to minimize the end result but any competent rider can pull a clutch and hit the brakes. just saying suing people isn't always the answer.
  20. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't have to worry about those kind of problems when you have a new bike that has just been serviced to eliminate the problem.

had a similar problem on a kx250 (2 stroke) where the throttle would hang open after 15 minutes of riding. The first time it happened to me was at a motocross track through a whoops section. It is hard to grab the clutch sometimes when you get taken by surprise.

I hope he has a speedy recovery.