Blaze Anti Fog Kit (DON'T BUY IT)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mikesova, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I was taken, and I want to warn others against the stuff. I went to the Progressive International Motorcycle show in Novi last weekend and a guy offered to clean my glasses with this Blaze stuff. He did, and they looked really good after he cleaned them, then he showed me a visor that was half "blazed" and half not. One side fogged up like crazy over a steam machine and the other side didn't. Hmm , PRETTY SWEET. So I bought a kit for 20 bucks, which included a wax, and a couple bottles, a spray and a dropper. It also included a microfiber cloth. I tried it out today, just tooling around on the quad. The stuff doesn't work. My helmet and glasses fogged up just as bad as they always do. So if you want some really expensive lens cleaner that kind of smells, buy the Blaze stuff. Otherwise, save your money.

[​IMG]
    FatherX likes this.
  2. helion42

helion42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stuff like that has never worked for me. I ended up just getting a FF with a pinlock-ready visor, so you just snap in the second lens and no problems. For goggles, I never used them on the bike, but there's some hi-end snowboard co's that have double-pane lenses that kick ass.
  3. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    that is probubly the same crap i bought 5 years ago...only it was blue back then,
    and it didn't work then either.
    other than a pinlock or fog city none of the anti fog stuff worked for me.
    dish soap worked but when i opened my visor and some water ran down the inside of the visor it left some lines.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Zanotti

Zanotti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
  7. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    The Pinlock on the Neotec works great....but my glasses fog up like a mofo. I have not figured out any fix for that yet.
  8. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    fogpro
  9. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    ever try liquid dish soap? It works and smells OK.

RainX on the outside will last a good day in the rain, but does work.
    FogX only reduces your wallet weight.
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far I haven't found anything that works better then Gillette Foamy shave cream, but it needs to be redone every couple of days.
  11. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    The only thing that's ever worked worth a damn for me is a Pinlock. I tried all manner of things that you apply to plastic and none worked well. The Pinlock stays clear even after 4 hours in pouring rain.

As for my glasses, I had to switch to wearing contacts all the time. Nothing worked, though keeping the shield cracked worked OK when it wasn't raining. Of course, cracking the shield makes the Pinlock less effective since one thing keeping the Pinlock from fogging is that the inner lens isn't as cold.

After Seattle and Sacramento winters, I eventually found the foolproof solution to shield fogging: I moved to LA.
  12. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Precisely. Same problem. Neotec Pinlock somewhat OK (not 100%), but glasses - even if plastic - fog up badly.
  13. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I had much the same experience. I ended up buying a Fog City insert, as the wipe-on solutions were marginal at best on the visor. The Fog City isn't perfect, but it's better than the other things I've tried.

However, I wear glasses. They are a problem. I have a couple of solutions that keep the glasses free of fog for a short period, but they require frequent application to have any effect at all, and are quite expensive. Maybe I should move to the high desert. Riding in the rain and cold here is problematic.
  14. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same problem here. Oddly my glasses didn't fog on my RF-1000, but they do on my Neotec.
  15. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    they were at motogp (laguna) for a couple years. it was blue then it was orange.

I got taken for $23 bucks as well.:puke1
  16. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    I was at the IMS in Cleveland a few weeks ago and I did see them doing a demo, but after looking at it a bit closer (esp. the price), I decided not to get it.

The stuff I use on my visor is the same anti-fog solution I use on my dive mask. The tinny bottle cost maybe $8-$10 (any scuba diving shop will have this), but you only need a small amount such as a size of a eraser on a No2 pencil (it's gel-like so it spreads out easily). You let it sit for some 30 seconds and just rinse it with water. Works great and that small bottle will last you at least a year or two (probably longer depending on your riding conditions).

There are different sizes, but the one I use is similar to the size of a white-out bottle.
  17. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    appliance57 likes this.
  18. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know you can use spit, right? It's free and works just as well.
  19. genespleen

genespleen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    I got suckered (usually I leave my wallet at home as I know that I am an e-z mark) at the Chicago IMS. BUT. I had 'em demo it on my salt encrusted helmet visor on saturday last. Haven't touched the visor since and it hasn't fogged up on my daily commute nor the 45 mile trip to my MC meeting last night. SO. It's werkin for me so far.

I got sucked into the metal polsh 10 yrs ago. Polishes nice soft pop cans real good. Bike hard cases... hardly any shine. Mother's is way better. Nice to know that the IMS show really gives a shit about what is shilled to bikers. Makes every product/service vendor at the show suspect.

edit: as noted, product seems to work on the visor. Does not work well on lenses close to my face, glasses & clip-on sunglasses. grrrrrr