engine options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevecce, Jun 28, 2014.

1. stevecce

stevecce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, here are the facts: My 02' 520 exc, which has been converted to dual purpose use, needs a bottom and top end… I'm looking at $2000+ for a rebuild. My question: Is there a source for a rebuilt engine under $2K? Is there any demand for this bike with a worn out motor i.e. can I recoup a decent amount of money to put towards a new DS bike? Does anyone have any PRACTICAL suggestions that I haven't thought of? I would have it rebuild but the shop doesn't seem motivated to get into it….

Thanks!
  2. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    With those kind of numbers it's time to do it yourself or maybe look at what the ROI is. What could you sell a 12 year old bike for? Probably not a whole lot more than what you'll have in the motor. Depends on how attached you are. Might be better off parting it out. Or find another shop. Or roll the dice on a used eBay motor.

Quick guess is the roller is worth maybe a grand if you are patient and hold out and spend time taking it apart and shipping it off piece by piece.
  3. stevecce

stevecce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Sailah, I'm kind of attached to it but, I am not the type to get too attached to mechanical things…. I could do it my self, but I lack the space and time. Too busy making a living… ditto for parting it out…. I really appreciate the feedback! Thanks man!
  4. bradluke0

bradluke0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the rest of the bike is solid it is probably worth it to rebuild the motor , especially if you like the bike . If you don't like the handling or suspension I would part it out .
  5. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Now is also the busy season for motorcycles. Ask some shops in November for a quote and see what they say then.
  7. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i think a couple grand would get you "the works" from any of the "big 3" RFS engine builders.

if i were you, i'd join ktmtalk (first thing) and start probing around with some q's in the RFS section. any question you have will probably have been answered 1000 times. tons of knowledge in there.
  8. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know anything about your particular brand/model but unless it's an in demand collector bike don't expect much money from a worn out motorcycle. You're pretty much limited to the misguided "deal hunter" that can grt it dirt cheap and thinks he can be done with it for much less total investment than if he just bought a good one.
    As mentioned above any decent motorcycle shop is busy, busy during the riding season so major job prices will be cheaper in winter when they're trying to keep the lights on rather than deciding what kind of fishing boat to buy. Wait till winter if you can. Even if you take it to shop now expect it to be a slooow rebuild. In peak season it'll be on the back burner and they'll be taking care of regular frequent customers and travelers before your rebuild gets priority. IMHO during peak busy season 2 grand for a drive in/drive out twin cyl quality full rebuild with quality parts ain't bad. Besides waiting till off season you can prolly save a few bucks by hand carrying the motor sans bike into the shop. The remove and re-install and set up is part of the cost(time) factored in. I'd forget about getting enough money out of a worn out bike to get into a new bike. Worn out stuff is worn out stuff, no sugar coating it and time to decide fix what ya wore out or eat it and replace it with another. Depends on running bike value or emotional attachment to it which way is best for you but in any case you'll be spending more money than you want to...such is life. Good luck.
  9. stevecce

stevecce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good points from everyone! Thanks guys! Looks like I'm out for the season.. oh well…. I'll most likely rebuild it. I looked into the "oembikeparts" thing.. called and no person..seems shady to me…

Well, I'll keep working on it and if anyone thinks of anything let me know!

Thanks guys!
  10. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caflash on ktmtalk has an engine exchange, send your old tired one in and pick from 450, 525, 540, 565cc options. Prices vary.:deal
  11. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    pm sent, there's one on ktmtalk (450sx with 6 speed and other goodies) for under 1k right now!
  12. stevecce

stevecce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Thanks Man!
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Well there ya go... good luck with the replacement/rebuild.