H4 conversion for Trail Tech Racelight....

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Boatman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Details as follows:

Price $120.00 shipped in the US.

Contact me for shipping outside the US and I will get a cost.

What you get,,,, Mounting adaptor lazer cut from 1/8" 6061 aluminum and powder coated black
    Stainless steel hardware
    Hella H4 reflector
    H4 bulb.
    Rubber boot for the bulb.
    Assembled and ready to install in your Trail Tech Racelight bracket.

Depending on the bike, you may need an H4 plug, female spade connectors or possibly nothing for wiring.

Payment,,,, I'll accept Paypal, money orders or cash.
    Paypal address is; wood_too@hotmail.com (underscore between wood and too)

You can email me at the same address or PM me here on ADV. Please include both real name and screen name in correspondence.

I get quite few inquiries about this being used in left hand driving countries. The Hella I provide is for right hand driving. You can see the distinct cutoff in the low beam picture below. In this case I can provide the mounting parts and you will need to get your own Hella. Here is the Hella you need for left hand driving; http://hella.com.au/downloads/911-351-18.pdf

Finished product:
    Finished product.JPG

What's in the box:
    In the box.JPG

H4 wiring:
    [​IMG]
    eldusto likes this.
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I think it will be a success. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

What does the kit come with? H4 bulb, H/L projector and adapter ring I'm guessing?

What's the price?

Thanks, Dan
  3. Boatman

Oddometer:

I know I have heard quite few people wishing the the Racelight came in a hi/low version.

The kit will include the adaptor assembly and the reflector (projector as you call it). It will be your choice of how you want to illuminate it as everyone will want something different so there is no sense in including the bulb. You can get an $8 H4 from Wallyworld or use a $150 HID.

The light is Hella so it's a quality unit.

Another point to make here is that say for some reason the light get broken, you can install a $10 sealed beam to get you going until you replace the broken light.

I'm still working out pricing and this thread will help me with that, the more I can sell the more cost effective producing the parts becomes.
  4. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Here is what you need to put in it:

Truck Light's 12V LED Headlight w/ High and Low beam. This new and exciting LED Headlamp innovation provides a new level of performance for 7” round forward lighting 12 volt applications, offering the extended life and energy efficiency of light emitting diode technology.

Product Specs:

-Hard Coated Polycarbonate Lens
    -Anodized Aluminum Housing
    -Metalized Reflector
    -Encapsulated circuitry
    -Each light contains 10 High Output Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
    -Designed at 12.8v
    -4.5a (High Beam)
    -2.5a (Low Beam)
    -Operational temperature range of -50C to 70C
    -Overvoltage spike protection to 600v
    -Constant output

[​IMG]

The translation of forward lighting to a 12 volt LED headlamp application means brighter, crisper and whiter light output than incandescent alternatives, while offering longer life and greater dependability that has since become standard for LED signaling and marking products. The 7” round LED Headlamps feature solid-state circuit board assemblies for unrivaled shock and vibration resistance and hard-coated polycarbonate lenses that offers 30 times more impact strength than glass. All of these key features work toward a desired goal among end user’s, achieving a maintenance free system.

The 7” round white LED Headlamps meet or exceed all applicable Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements pertaining to headlights, one of the most difficult standards to achieve. Truck-Lite has been able to successfully develop a perfect blend of thermal management and light output to produce an aesthetically pleasing beam pattern through innovative precision optics. The new LED headlamps are designed to replace any standard 7-inch round headlight within 12 volt applications. They can be aimed using standard mechanical aiming equipment.

Made in the U.S.A., each headlamp uses ten high output LEDs as its light source, with a light output brighter than traditional glass beam headlights, which results in better visibility. While a typical headlamp may be rated to last as little as 1,200 hours, Truck-Lite LED Headlamps are expected to exceed that by as much as 50 times. The LED technology used in Truck-Lite’s Headlamps will offer improved visibility over conventional incandescent, as the color temperature of the assembly is around 5000K, far closer to sun light than incandescent or halogen lamps.
  5. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd consider one on my G450X, Scott...
  6. Boatman

Oddometer:
    I fear the price of that would far exceed what I'm hoping my whole conversion will cost.

From what I can tell from the text, you could buy my adaptor unit minus the reflector and install that light if that is the way you want to go.

I don't want to get into stocking 10 different setups, just want to provide a fairly priced H4 conversion.
  7. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    Love the idea!!!:deal

:clap :clap :clap :clap
  8. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    You should also post this in Thumper Talk, tons of guys w/ 8" Race lights there.
  9. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Boatman,

Looks good. What price point are you looking at?

Cumbacheech
  10. Boatman

Oddometer:
    I didn't because it's really a vendor item. But thanks for starting the new thread.
  11. Boatman

Oddometer:

I really don't want to say just yet because the prices I have so far for producing the parts have been really across the board. I will say that I'm not sure people would be willing to spend $200 on the Trail Tech and then have to spend near that for the conversion, I wouldn't.
  12. Boatman

Oddometer:
    I have been asked a bunch of times if this will fit the Baja Designs light,,,, no it won't.

But, if this works out, I will tackle the BD light. Problem is that it will be more complicated, thus more expensive.
  13. Death Dealer

Death Dealer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will definitely take one. Exactly what I have been looking for!
  14. Boatman

Oddometer:
    UPDATE!!!!

I was at the machine shop today and they are cutting a couple test parts just to make sure all the dimensions are correct. If we are okay in that area, then I have a little machine work to do and they will be off to the powder coater. Then it's just a matter of putting everything in a box and shipping them out.

I have some commitments that are taking me out of town in the next couple weeks so I'm shooting mid January.

I still don't want to give price because the powder coater wants actual parts in his hands before giving a firm price. But I will say this,,, I don't think anyone will complain about the cost.

If you are interested, please let me know either by PM or here so I can get an idea of the number of the first run.

Also,, I have gone back and forth whether to include a bulb in the kit. Some people would be happy with just a plain 55/60 and some people will want something different, maybe an HID. Please give feedback on this.
  15. thejosh

thejosh Chump

Oddometer:
    Let us know how much and sign me up for one.

Nice work!
  16. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Test cuts checked out and I'll have a stack of parts waiting for me when I get back. I'll also be picking up the Hellas next week so then it will be in the hands of the powder coater. Moving right along!!
  17. BajaRat

BajaRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take one.

Don't care about the bulb. There are many H4 bulbs watt combinations. Might want to let each buyer source their own with regards to their particular bike's stator output.

Baja Designs has a clear Lexan lens protector available for their lights. Apparently no such option for TT. Can you aqddress protection for the Hella glass lens you will be using?
  18. Boatman

Oddometer:

Your right along with my thoughts on the bulbs, everybody will want something different.

Right now I'm concentratiing on just getting the conversions done but have thought about the protection. I've got a couple ideas for a polycarbonate protector similar to the BD.

I assume people will be more interested in polycarbonate rather than some sort of screen???
  19. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Okay people, real close. The first batch of parts are fully machined and will be dropped off at the powder coater in the morning. Hardware is in the house, Hellas are on the way. I'm going away until after the first of the year so I should be ready to ship within a couple day after I return.

I'll have a price tomorrow for all you that have been waiting.

The finished product before powder coat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in a pinch you can install a standard 6024 sealed beam...

[​IMG]
    peterthomsen likes this.
  20. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Very Nice!

Are you gonna include instructions on how to wire a High/Low switch to the TT Light?

What colors are you getting done.