D2D 2013 General Info and CommentThread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Anybody coming up the west coast and getting on a ferry in PR. I think we need to take over a ferry. :freaky
  2. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is pretty low!

You wait until Kevin is not at his best ... then you pull something like this! You know how he feels about this sort of thing! Shame on you!

-KM
  3. Spousal Unit

Spousal Unit Concubine

Oddometer:
    Jack, he knows where you live.....:lol3
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Hey! When you're a senile old geezer the rules against kicking a man when he's down get tossed. :evil
  5. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    AlcanRider is pretty smooth and calculating when he misbehaves. :dood He waits until Kevin can't respond and he also waited until AFTER he received another batch of fudge. For punishment, the next batch of fudge I make for him will have some other sort of special ingredient in it, like Ex-Lax.

:lol3
  6. MaggieR

MaggieR Morbidly Obese

Oddometer:
    Well girls, I tried, you can see that I did.:dunno Then some MALE :bash had to come along and screw it up again. :becca He should have asked “Sober Aunt” to approve :nono what he was doing before he hit ENTER.
  7. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to my last post in the sign up thread? I did that so when I get orders everyone will know why I left an empty spot. When I say vacation I am being sarcastic. I am a service member, so now the 12 month vacation makes sense. I may get to enjoy 130f and 90% humidity.
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm Lemme get out my crystal ball.

:eek1 Oh my, things are not looking good for you next summer. I see a ... no, make that two.. broken down DR's. You do know how to fix flat tires, don't you? :evil

Y'know, I'd help you if I could, but I might be, uh... indisposed. :huh
  9. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So after reading several pages of this thread, I'm not sure if I should post something serious or just some mindless drivel.........

So coin flipped and Serious won.

This will be my first D2D but second trip to Dawson City and third to AK....not new to the 'perils' of the Great Northern wastelands. I plan on staying 6/20 and 21 at the Triple J and will have a room to share, PM me if interested for de-tales. Also I've heard that some guy from Ancourage will bring tires if contacted in advance; anyone have his contact info ? (I'll be about 4000 miles into the trip and probably ready for a set).

I'll be leaving DC Sat morning and heading over the TOW to Tok, maybe a side trip to Eagle since I've not been there. Eventually I'll end up in Haines on the 26th, where I'll have a cabin (sleeps 4) reserved, then the ferry to PR the next day (also considering taking ferry all the way to Bellingham but I've BTDT back in '94.)
  10. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:

Haha and I thought my "noob" questions brought this thread down hill, looks not tho.

I plan on campin in my tent, but A room would be nice tho. I may be interested .
    Now back to this thread's topic :)
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friar Mike did this last year. Send him a PM.
  12. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hey - what a silly question, or possibly more mindless drivel. :D OF COURSE I know how to get tires swapped out or fix a flat. Duh. I have demonstrated that skill a few times in the past.

I either offer to make fudge or a home-made meal and then some good-hearted guys help me with my wheels/tires or "supervise" me, which, as you know, can be extremely challenging for the supervisor. A lot of patience is required due to my lack of mechanical aptitude, and/or appropriate tools... :lol3

I still think you enjoy it way too much when you insist on taking a hammer to my DRs to fix or remove something. I can see an evil glint in your eyes when you swing the hammer!

Here's something serious: I think you purposely skipped two numbers when you signed up for D2D because you're bringing Maggie and she's big enough for two seats, therefore she requires two numbers.

:hide
  13. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Macker.... several options re: tire redoo on your trip north

#1 throttle discipline and re-tire in LosAnchorage/Squarebanks

#2 run the bag off it and change in Dawson City, Whitehorz, Calgary, Seattle, Missoula, Boise ..... see #1 part A

#3 pack tires with ya :puke1

#4 CamelToeing :eek1

Several options for purchase in the state. In fairness to all of the excellent tires sales folks and particularly those who support D2D here's a list:

Fairbanks:
    Justin at Trails End BMW
    AKTracks at Adventure Cycleworks

Anchorage:
    Barb at Alaska Leather
    Brendon at The Motorcycle Shop
    Court at Anchorage Yamaha
    Rob at Go Pro

Wasilla
    Friar at the Abby

Dawson
    See the Dick

Give me a little lead time and I'm sure the D2D CounterSteering Committee and/or dealer can arrange delivery to Dawson City.
    Have your Anchorage supplier get ahold of me if you make the purchase.
    A couple of beers usually covers shipping charge.
    Possible MaxiPad transmission if you go with #4 CamelToeing.

Fite
  14. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

CamelToeing hard at work.

Say what ya will about option #4, but I'll tell ya whaaaat .....
    I started in SouthbyDog Dakota with fresh meats on BiggerBird and they still were like new when we got to D2D. :rofl:rofl:rofl
    Fite
  15. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably a combination of #1 and #2 (throttle discipline and DC.) Three and four are definitely OUT. CamelToeing? Are you out of your frickin' mind? It's a long ride from San Antonio on a MC; it would be fatal to try it in a cage!
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Particularly if Griz was steering the cage! :eek1:eek1:eek1
    Fite
  17. MaggieR

MaggieR Morbidly Obese

Oddometer:
    The sign-up thread has been fixed AGAIN! :ddog If one of you males :bash messes it up AGAIN I am going to come to D2D and pretend you are Santa and sit on your lap. Picture that in your mind. :D
  18. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't see your name on the list Maggie......
  19. MaggieR

MaggieR Morbidly Obese

Oddometer:
    Ohhh - is that an invitation? I can ride pillion with you, can't I?
  20. b dash rian

b dash rian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i'm getting moved to Anchorage for work. (still looking for a place to live)

but, they are moving 2 bikes up for me, the KTM 250 xc-f, and the Ducati Monster 620. The BMW GSPD will get ridden up, but due to the time line available, i'm not sure that i'll be able to get the PD up before D2D. (working 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, on the slope (don't hate, i've had enough of that in New York))

Anyway, I'm not afraid of the distances (done many 1000+ mile weekends on the duc), but the idea of a whole lot of gravel doesn't entice me too much on a baby monster.

thoughts?