Arai XD-4 Vibration (too soft peak)!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 20Fingers, Jul 19, 2013.

1. terribletom

terribletom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to decide between the XD-4 and the Shoei hornet DS so I ran across this thread when doing some my research.

I would just like to point out no one has mentioned what I feel is the ideal solution to this problem that wouldn't look like crap. That is, buy some carbon fiber cloth (45 degree orientation would probably work well here) and hand lay it up with resin on the bottom of the peak. Make sure to use a resin you wont have to cure in an oven of course. Easy-peasy, light , stiff, and looks good. Search for hand layup of carbon fiber on youtube for a description of how to do it if you are unfamiliar. It works just like fiberglass.

After my research I'm going to buy the Shoei, but I thought this might help those of you with issues. :1drink

Thanks,
    Tom
  2. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of oven temp are we talking about? Wouldn't that affect the plastic?
  3. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    go to tire shop and get some wheel weights.
  4. 20Fingers

20Fingers GS Giant Alumni Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amherst area Va, have land for guest camping!
    Not sure if you are joking, but adding a stiffer leading edge without adding too much weight is how this thread began.

My latest experiment:
    Use a thick bicycle or even a motorcycle spoke, cut to fit along the leading edge of the visor, use Shoe Goo to hold it in place. Careful shaving any excess glue spots with a razor (after dried) will neaten up the 'hack'.

This has been the lightest and most effective modification yet. It adds minimal weight and creates a strong leading edge that reduces the vibration problem. The peak flutters at certain speeds or from wind buffeting over the rider. Different windscreens, height of riders, and a plethora of combinations have been discussed. Bottom line, if your skeptical of the complaint, the peak is flexible by design. To exploit its flex-property, flip the leading edge of the peak with your finger while holding the helmet in your hand or while wearing it. You should notice how the 'flip' resonates through the shell, resulting in feeling 'it'. Another rider suggested, as an experiment, to 'exaggerate' the vibration, use a rotary hand tool such as a sander or drill, placing the backside (not the moving parts) against the peaks edge while wearing the helmet, the vibration from the tool transfers through the peak and can be clearly heard inside the helmet; its an exaggeration of the wind effect but demonstrates how noise is transferred from the peak, through the helmet, and to the rider! It's a great suggestion but BE CAREFUL don't touch your helmet with a spinning drill head or sander!!!!

Someone suggested creating a carbon fiber peak, I would advise against this for a few reasons. First, the peak is designed to flex on impact. I experienced the benefit of this a few weeks ago during a low speed fall on sand, the peak flexed as it caught the sand as I rolled away from the bike. Second, its designed to break away from the helmet under stress from a crash; the connector bolts are a softer type plastic and will shear. This being said, I would not want a partly shattered carbon peak shearing off and mixing up with me during a high speed crash!

Whenever 'hacking' a piece of equipment or gear means your stepping outside the original design and taking a risk. While sewing a patch onto a jacket creates barely any risk to the user, adding a carbon fiber peak to the XD4 increases risk for the user and goes way beyond the original design. That being said, adding a piece of spoke to the leading edge can also be considered a risk to the user, especially in a crash situation.

Please remember, all 'hacks' and 'mods' are taking an original design to another level and create a different product. Care and attention to details that pose a physical risk should become the focus of any modification to original design.

YOU ARE taking a risk with any of the suggestions for modifying the XD4's peak to reduce the vibration. The BEST solution would come from Arai, they simply need to router out the channel on their mold to increase the thickness of the leading edge, not a huge investment to create a better product and address the concerns and feedback of their loyal customers. :evil
  5. drz919

drz919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what this peak problem is, I haven't had any weird vibration issue on my XD-4. I don't have a windscreen and I ride up to 80mph on the interstate w/o issue.

Only problem I have is a loud rumble (+55mph) but that is the wind buffeting around my neck area. If I close that off by shrugging my shoulders it goes away. But I should be wearing earplugs anyway so its not a problem for me.
  6. 20Fingers

20Fingers GS Giant Alumni Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amherst area Va, have land for guest camping!
    I have heard this from several riders, but most experience some sort of low-pitch hum or actual vibration and depending on their sensitivity to this, they can live with it or not. Generally, people who don't ride with a windscreen and have a clean flow over their peak experience very little vibration...one way to check, touch the peaks leading edge while riding at different speeds and see if you experience a change in the sound of feeling of the helmet. Chances are, you won't feel much. :wink:

7. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to share a cheap simple fix I have for this issue. It just requires 2 small sections of fuel line fitted like this:

[​IMG]
  8. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my first ride with a new XD4, horrible at anything over 40mph, like some cars when you get a vibration when the windows are down, was getting a headache after 40 miles, I too was thinking a rubber bung under the middle of the rear edge will current it, I have some hockey pucks in the garage that I cut into for some seat lowering rubbers so I will be trying it out tomorrow.
    Can't believe Arai released this helmet with such a flaw, my Shoei VFX is silent in comparison.
  10. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 I've tried several fixes; this works. And I think the tubing is important on both sides. The tubing will work better as a shock for the vibration; something solid, prolly not so much. Having it on both sides, kinda stretches the middle of the peak more.
  11. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    I started with it in the middle but you can't open the visor fully. On the sides works the same but the visor opens all the way

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
  12. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have thought the new ones were better. I have an original XD and there is not much vibration even at 70-80 on my 990. I was going to buy a XD4 but may re-think.
  13. blackseven

blackseven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my peak off at the moment but I'm going to try this. I had the stock klr windshield on my bike and the wind noise sucked, so I went to a bajaworx screen and the wind noise is better, but the buffetting is terrible.
  14. BenOn66

BenOn66 n00b

Oddometer:
    I took Scutty's idea with blocks in the back and another members idea with forming a coat hanger under the peak. I formed the wire to fit closely under the peak then took a 17" piece of fuel line and split it down the entire length. Then I started to feed the split over the edge of the visor where the line just barely touched the face shield. Feeding the line over the edge while keeping the wire tucked up neatly inside as I went all the way around. Using the line as a moulding to keep the wire in place. As weird as this sounds, It really doesn't look bad when you are done!

I went out for a ride and could not believe how much difference it made. I think that the fuel line being round changed the airflow for the better. This is the first time I have ridden with this helmet since I got it I didn't need ear plugs! :clap
  15. topgunint

topgunint n00b

Oddometer:
    I also have this helmet, and went for a two day ride last weekend. The vibration was driving me nuts, it could have been the windshield down, but it still shouldn't vibrate like that. If I just put my finger on it, it stopped.
    I was going to put an ice-cream stick between the back of the peak and the top of the helmet and duct tape it there to give it a three point connection.
    I didn't get the ice-cream stick, but just duct taped it as tight as I could. I put a bit of duct tape on the underside of the upper duct tape, so that the visor wouldn't get stuck on it. It worked a bit and after a while, it must have worked back and the tape became loose. It got so bad, I stopped and put duct tape from the front of the peak, on both sides and two on top, to the back of the helmet, and pulled them tight.
    Stopped the vibration completely. I think that setting up a third position fixing, using a bamboo strip and duct taping it to the peak and to the helmet, would fix it.
    Could use a chopstick I suppose.
  16. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I epoxied some carbon fiber cloth to the underside of mine and got rid of 80% of the buzz. Then I did the trick posted above by putting a couple 1/2" pieces of fuel tube between the trailing edge of the visor and shell and got rid of the other 20%. Too late to know for sure but I suspect the fuel tube alone would have fixed the problem. Cheap and easy wins the day.
  17. blackseven

blackseven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The solution for me was the windshield. The peak either needs completely clean air, or it needs to have the air over the helmet. On the KLR that means either the stock windshield or a cee baily tall. I tried a bajaworx screen and it vibrated so bad it made me sick. On the Super tenere, the yamaha oem tall shield was perfect in the low position. Spent alot of money fixing that problem, but now I really love the Arai.
  18. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bring up such an old thread but....

Ok, so I'm one of the unlucky ones and have this issue. I have ordered a windscreen spoiler and if that does not work will just get a new windscreen.

I have tried the wheel weights and the hard rubber spacer under the rear part of the peak without any positive results.

Here is my question;

Today I decided to try the helmet without the foam earplugs. WHAT THE????? no vibration just wind noise.
    Do those of us having this issue all wear the foam ear plugs? (I have read that the foam ear plugs seem to make it worse on here)
    Do other types of hearing protection/ear plugs cause this issue as well?
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    That would mean your earplugs stick out too far and touch the liner of the helmet.
    Try using shorter ones or a different type. I really like the custom ones I got at IMS a few years ago by a vendor for about $50 but also have radians - do it at home. The radians aren't as nice but work as well.
  20. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I test rode the helmet, yesterday on my GSA, and did not feel any vibrations. It is also much quieter than my RX7 that I use when riding a sportsbike.
    One thing I noticed is that I would need the higher windscreen as the helmet was much quieter when I tucked my body a bit so the wind turbulence did not blow on the top of the helmet.
    I will order it just need to decide for the colour.