Wrenching Wenches Motorcycle Network

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Shoganai, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    A young fella I work with and I are signing up for a local Adult Ed class in the Spring, it's a small engine class and the kid owns three old moped/scooters... I mentored him into riding and home ownership, so we're going to bond some more over his 1980-something Honda Express!

:clap
  2. tbolt

tbolt Cubicle Prisoner

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic idea! Please let me know when the site goes live.

I'm Stacy. Corvallis, OR.

I don't have a fancy garage, and I'm a self-taught newbie wrencher, but if it's about a Honda Rebel or Suzuki SV650 I can probably help you.
  3. Shoganai

Shoganai Let's do some livin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you Stacy :D

I would like anyone's input on a couple of matters.

1. Would anyone be willing to contribute pictures of women working on motorcycles for the photo banner bar?

2. What do you like or dislike about any forums you belong to?
  4. Etherelda

Etherelda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Thanks Shoganai for your great ideas!

Looks really exiting. When I ask chaps to help me mechanically, they usually just roll their eyes:rolleyes at me and end up taking over.

Really looking forward to getting into this forum.

FWIW,
    I'm in Cambridgeshire, UK
    Have full workshop with hydraulic bike bench, lathe, etc, bit tight for space
    and my workplace is a half empty industrial unit in Norfolk, so somewhere dry.

I'm not great with the old mechanics myself, that is my dad's territory. He does take the time to explain things and show how to do bits and bobs, but he is only in the UK half the time, so I've learnt the old adage that if you want something doing well then do it yourself. He has also made some crazy booboos, he once changed my rear brake pads as I was away and needed the bike good to go when I came back, went out for a ride and found he had forgotten to put two bolts back on the calipers.

I do basic servicing myself with the aid of a manual, and fit bits and bobs. If I want a classic bike, and when get my new adv bike in the next 3 months, I'm going to have to learn to do ad hoc repairs on the move.

Some have mentioned local courses at schools/colleges for mechanic courses, don't seem to be many round here.

Anyways, I don't have any photos of me doing anything to bikes, but i'll ask, or be nerdy enough to set my tripod up.
  5. Shoganai

Oddometer:
  6. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    Let's get some more action on this thread...

My name is Pat (Patricia) and I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer. I've had a wrench in my hand since I was about 3 years old when I insisted on helping my father overhaul his Oliver tractor to get it ready for the Tractor Pull at the county fair.

I've had my hands on a number of different bikes over the years but work kept me on the road so much that I'd even turned routine things over to the dealer. My recent work has been electrical or farkle type items added to the bikes. Now that I'm retired, the cost of the dealer work is what will drive me back to getting my hands dirty.
  7. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    Since I won't be riding for a few months, I should take the opportunity to start working on my NX250. It has been sadly ignored over the last several years. It needs a valve adjustment and a coolant change. The steering bearings are shot but that might be more of an adventure than I am ready to tackle at this point. According to the service manual I will have to dismember the poor thing. I have a poor track record with dismembered vehicles. I have a '53 Farmall Cub in pieces in my garage.:cry
  8. Powermel1

Powermel1 Adventurer in Training

Oddometer:
    Hi there everyone,

No sure how I might be able to be part of this, perhaps virtually rather than F2F.

Fantastic initiaitve, I too do the basics, and a bit moree with assistance, but keen to do more.

Also wanted you to know we used to have a (small) group of friends called the Torque Wenches!

Have fun, and I'll keep in touch.
  9. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    There is a very well respected moto repair shop in San Francisco called Die Werkstatte, lots of women wrenches. Jennifer Bromme is the owner.

http://www.werkstattsf.com/

Werkstatt Motorcycles is proud to be voted "Best Motorcycle Repair in the Bay Area" in SFGate's BAYLIST 2010 and "Best Motorcycle Mechanics" in the San Francisco Bay Guardian's "Best of the Bay 2010" Reader's Choice!! Thank you for your support; we are honored!

Werkstatt Motorcycles is a woman founded, owned and run motorcycle shop in San Francisco dedicated to excellent and personable service! We have proudly been serving the Bay Area since 1994.

[​IMG]
    The owner, Jenn.

A photo shoot about them: http://cshook.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/die-werkstatte-to-celebrate-15-years-photo-shoot/

[​IMG]
    Jennifer Bromme welcomes you to the 15th Anniversary Party for Die Werkstatt

*Good Luck with your WW website, Shogs. :thumb
  10. Shoganai

Oddometer:
    WOW that is a cool post nomile!!!! :bow
  11. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    I am suffering from PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

I've been out in the cold garage trying to figure out the accessory wiring done by my bike's first owner. There is a copper spaghetti monster under the seat of my bike. I've figured most of it out but I might redo some of it. I want to add another Powerlet outlet and change the switch to my Motolights. I don't really need the outlet and the old switch works fine but I still have the need to fiddle with it. Electrons and I don't always get along so this might get interesting.:lol3
  12. brazen13

brazen13 frabjous!

Oddometer:
    Love it!! :D
  13. Belle Sinclair

Belle Sinclair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, we call it spannering over here but it's the same thing. I've currently got my bike in pieces - complete strip down and rebuild - before a long ride in the summer. Love it. :clap
  14. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Just found out one of the semi-local HD dealerships is having a women-only garage day in mid-March and I'm looking forward to go! The "deepest" I've ever gone into my bike was adjusting the chain last week: I don't know how the Dude made it seem so danged complicated (or maybe I just thought it was) but I went in there with a "This is easy" attitude and a few simple verbal instructions, and was done in 10 minutes. Easy-peasy. Next up is replacing my 1.5" lowering link with something a bit higher (my Wee bottoms out too easy nowadays), which if I'm not too busy I'll do tomorrow.

I visited the WW website and it says still under construction, how goes the site?
  15. Shoganai

Oddometer:
    :clap Cool story!

My web developer said he will have it up in Beta mode this week. :1drink
  16. Roadrunner

Roadrunner -Negativus Supersonicus-

Oddometer:
    But you may have found a cure! :clap
  17. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Just came across this, and I have got to say it is a fantastic idea.

Even though I'm a bloke I had minimal help from my dad with doing mechanical work and had to teach myself which end of the spanner does what. My first big effort was buying two rolling wreck cars and making one good one out of it. Sure it was an old bomb, but it was my bomb and the satisfaction in getting that old bird working (mostly without outside help, aside from needing extra hands when doing an engine swap) was absolutely priceless. Learning from friends/mentors is one thing, but figuring something out yourself is absolutely priceless.

I can also understand the barriers, perceived or otherwise. The more of you that put your best foot forward, the stronger you & your mutual goals will be. Best of luck, i hope this thread & the ww.com site becomes a resounding success.

Consider me subscribed.
  18. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went looking for your epic RR but found this thread first. Just wanted you to know that I did read every word of your saga, much of it more than once. And I paid attention, too. Thursday of last week the ground here thawed out a bit unevenly and some dummy who shall remain nameless (but his initials are ME) had parked the RS without putting a board under the centerstand, with predictable results.

There's a "new" set of Z-bars, and cases, on the way but there's an Enduro Sunday, just ~90 miles away, and I have a "new" tent - you do understand that "new"means goodies from the Flea Market, I trust - that is crying out to be broken in. So I did what any rider would; I fixed the right side sidecase and Z-bar Shoganai style.

Best wishes on your new (no " marks) site. And if Steverino or any other Inmate should ever be broken down in Palestine, TX, I'm only about 40 miles away. Yeah, yeah, I know - day late, dollar short.

Dave/"garfey"

Attached Files:

19. garfey

Oddometer:
    ... Z-Bar
    (gotta love tie-wraps)

Attached Files:

20. garfey

Oddometer:
    ... done. :lol3