Gerbings hook up to Battery Tender plug?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BigChris99, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BigChris99

BigChris99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting a new Gerbings vest to replace my old Aerostich vest. Will a Gerbings vest hook up to a Battery Tender plug? Do they, or someone make an adapter? I have three bikes, all with Battery Tender plugs already installed. I really don't want to go through all the hassle and expense of buying and adding another connector to all three bikes if at all possible.
  2. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I need. Thanks. The only problem is that RevZilla is out of them right now. I put my email address on the waiting list.
  4. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    I'm reading some older threads, I don't know if Gerbings still makes that connector. Something about people buying it and using it with competitors brands of electric gear.... WTF is that all about? A sale is a sale. Who cares what the customer does with it after the sale? Why does this need to be so complicated?
  5. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh. Better. Thank you. Heading out to the movies with the family now. I'll order one when we get home.
  7. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes. I needed that adapter also, found plenty of them at the local Harley shop as HD heated gear is actually rebranded Gerbings. About $6
  8. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    Really. I'll have to check Victorville Harley. Thanks for that heads-up. Getting some good intel here.
  9. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you control, by way of an simple on/off switch you'll NOT need an adapter. it's the electronic controlers that are polarity sensitive
  10. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you use the battery tender cable to the battery make sure you upgrade the fuse
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gerbings deliberately used a different connector due to different power requirements of their garments versus those of the battery tender. I use battery tenders on all my batteries but I would not use an adapter due to this. You will either blow a fuse or take a chance on doing some damage.

Gerbing's SAE to Coax Adaptor Cord
    SAE plug on one end and a coax male plug on the other end
    This plug can connect pre-2003 clothing from Gerbing's, which used SAE plugs, to the new coax temperature controllers
    Cannot be used to power heated clothing from a Battery Tender plug
  12. Elmer

Elmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works well. Did it for three years on a Duc ST2 that I commuted on up and down I-95 to DC. Ran jacket, pants and gloves through a dual controller. No issues.
  13. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    So, Even if I upgrade the fuse in my BT cables, I still shouldn't use them with an adapter? Why not? It's only going to be

a vest with an on/off switch. No gloves, pants or heated undies. Please tell me why I can't do this, cuz I'm getting confused

here. The least capable charging system I have is on my 1st generation KLR. Next is the stock Valkyrie and after that is

my Wing with a CompuFire alternator. The C- Fire puts out plenty of juice to run a vest.
  14. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I have an old jacket or maybe I am just confused but my Gerbings runs off the same connector that I use to hook the battery tender to the battery. I have done that for years on at least 4 different bikes.
  15. Multiplicity

Multiplicity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes, it will :norton
  16. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    Show me. One end is Coax, the other is SAE. Adapter in the middle? :norton
  17. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the adaptor, upgrade the fuse to 10amps and you'll be fine. It's 12 volts, there's a positive and a negative, there's nothing special about Gerbing's adaptor.

The only potential risk would be if the battery tender hookup used very thin wires that would overheat under the increased load. I have never seen a hookup with wiring that would concern me. The hook ups that come with the heated gear use the same gauge of wire as the better tender hook ups.
  18. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you upgrade the fuse it will certainly work and the chances are you will never have an issue. That being said, the battery tender has a certain size fuse for a reason. If you never have a problem where the fuse would come into play you will be fine. If something goes wrong you will lose some level of protection.

A lot of people use these adapters and never have an issue. It comes down to personal preference. What is your comfort level of risk tolerance? Which is more important, having only one connector, or having the right fuse? It sounds like you really want one connector so go for it.
  19. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    I bought a heated vest in Canada about a year ago that is wired to plug directly into the battery tender plug. I have and use W&S gen 4 heated gear as well but the Black Jack vest is one of my favorite pieces and I think they are still manufactured in British Columbia.

Link: http://electrowear.ca/customer/vest.php
  20. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the opposite and have a Gerbing hook up on my battery but want to know if I can use it to power a Battery Tender and if so, what adapter do I need to get and where is the best price?

Thanks