Bonny SE-R will be called "Street Tracker"

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by No False Enthusiasm, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Harry Backer

Harry Backer Ran when parked!

Oddometer:
    Like the trident I used to own without all the Fing problems. :eek1
  2. zuma

zuma Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my observations here in Oz I would suspect that the Thruxton is the slowest seller in the Bonneville range. Not surprising considering that most Bonny owners tend to be from the mature end of the rider spectrum, so hopefully this bike won't have too aggressive a riding position.

Tuned for mid range grunt, better suspension, a little more room for bigger riders, larger tank, and this bike could be a real winner, a great all rounder. Naturally I'm talking about what I want here, other than the Scrambler I find the rest of the range a little small for me at 187cm and 90kg, not bikes I'd want to tour on. Ah, we can but dream.
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Put carbs on it, some leaky old Amals, remove the electronic ignition and replace with points, and you've got a bike that some on here say they would buy, except that they wouldn't, because that's just how they roll.
  4. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list for those who would like to see a Super Thruxton along the lines of the new Norton but still priced less than $10K. I have no interest in a retro bike with a Speed Triple sourced engine. I'd rather just have a Speed Triple.
  5. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Hey! Don't forget the oil leaks!:ddog
  6. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    That's a given. But my brothers speed triple doesn't leak a drop, although my 955 Daytona left a dime sized puddle of oil everywhere I parked it for the whole time I owned it. Just a little spot. My ducati leaks a little more than that, sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.
  7. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    A thrux with better suspension and brakes, maybe a bit more power sounds good.

If their going to go with a tripple engine, rather than a s/tripple engine in a bonnie, I'd rather an updated version of the thunderbird sport -

[​IMG]
  8. Anion Gap

Anion Gap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just read the street tracker article yesterday. With a Bonneville power plant and street triple components, I thought they got it exactly backward. Give a Bonnie derivative a power plant that inspires (ie street triple), shave some weight off it, and give it ABS, and it'd be sitting in my garage even if I had to finance it.

I love the retro concept, but retro doesn't have to mean ignoring modern power/weight expectations (of all-rounders, I'm not expecting nor desiring a sport bike).

Ducati had it figured out. Then they got rid of the sportclassic and uglied up the monster. Triumph is well positioned to come along and save the day with relatively little r&d. The parts are mostly already there.

Just my little rant.
  9. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Does that mean they're going to slap a Street Triple front end on an otherwise stock Bonneville/Thruxton?

I'm with you, retro cafe bodywork on a Street Triple would rock, and be more in line with what the 1990s Thunderbirds were like.
  10. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully a rear end to match...

Although I'd love to see a triple lump in there, even a 1000cc bored twin could be pretty awesome. As long as it makes near 100hp, with decent torque figures.
  11. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    that bike is awesome
  12. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet ride! Was that a model that Triumph made? Or was it mod'd? It's a looker, Triumph should re-do that or run it through a photocopier. I can live with to shocks on the rear to keep it a Bonnie, otherwise, double down on that.
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    1) Yes. 1998-2000 Thunderbird Sport
    2) Yes. Wheels, brakes, front forks, and more are not OEM for the T-Bird Sport.

I agree, though, kick-ass bike!
  14. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

:eek1

that's a size 12 lady in a size 4 dress!
  15. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that's an awesome bike! I'd love to get a standard, non-spaceship-looking bike that was actually meant to get the whip put to it.

Triumph: Photocopy that bike!
  16. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:

I completely agree! I rode the gt1000 and loved the power, modern componentry and overall retro look. If the street tracker has all that, sign me up! I wonder how the new Norton 961 compares?
  17. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    Speaking with my dealer today and he reckons 18 months to 2 years before you will see anything.

The motor is more than likely to going to be "based" on the air cooled lump
  18. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, you've got THAT right.

That's the reason why I'll NEVER sell my '06 Ducati Monster S2R. Last of the classic Monsters. Single sided swingarm. Full lattice frame. In gorgeous Ducati Red and White.

[​IMG]
  19. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, they arent going to make it with a 1050 Motor - so that means one of us it going to have to.

SO! easier to put a 1050 motor and fork on a Bonnie? Or easier to transform a Speed Triple INTO a Bonnie?

OR - maybe use the 800 from the Tiger?

:dunno

better balanced?

:scratch
  20. Calamity Jesus

Calamity Jesus n0ob

Oddometer:
    While I admit that the Bonneville engine isn't lightweight or a high RPM screamer.. it's a parallel twin with a 180° crank... it's no more a cruiser engine than the Ninja 250's engine.

There are 90° crank versions in the Speedster, America and Scrambler.. so I'd understand if you thought that was the standard engine.