The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Mid Missouri - Clearing Brush and pickin' ticks
    There are a few threads out there for the XT600, but I haven't been able to find one specifically for the TT600.
    As I have found out over the last few years, the XT and TT are similar but in no way are they the same bike.
    I thought this would be a good place for us few brave hearted souls who still have knees enough to kick this big girl over, to share upgrades, parts interchangability and racing stories - I have seen a few TTs in AHRMA unlimited races, and alot of old timers say "man I had one of those ...."

Here is my '84, with KX500 front and custom bash plate. I have used it mostly for trail riding and some hill climbing, but mostly I work on it:1drink

[​IMG]

My next mods will be upgraded exhaust and carb(?) and finding someone to make me a stiffer rear spring.

Please post pics of your TTs in action (current or previous) if you have them. I really like the history of these bikes as well as the frustration of trying to find parts:rofl
    I would also like to hear how the TTR is doing on the other side of the pond. It doesn't seem to have changed much, and if I have an opportunity to get over there I may have to snag one.
  2. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 3 TT600s. I purchase 2 TT600s for the price of one. My main ride has a front end off a 1986 KX 250. Bark-busters, moose bars, Ceet gas tank cover, Ceet zebra seat cover, stock exhaust. Twin air filter. Have D-2 foot pegs. Moose o-ring chain. Rebulit rear shock.
    Ride in my back-yard, on the ice, and its a 2nd bike to ride too.
    Neat bike. Will post a photo here. ED :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  3. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I got my 1984 TT back last summer. I was hoping that I would have time this winter to get it back in shape. Did not touch it. I enjoyed riding it in the dirt much more than the L sitting in the background.

I wish my brother-in-law wouldn't have painted the red on the bike.

Mike
    enduro16 likes this.
  4. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    I will follow an idea that Klay used and put or link all major upgrades and modifications in THIS post.
    I will try to update at least weekly, but if you have a cool mod just pm me and I'll get it up sooner.
    It would be most cool if you have actually done done the modification yourself and have pics

********************************************************************************************

AIR/FUEL

BRAKES

ENGINE

ELECTRICAL

SUSPENSION
    http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_ind.asp?S...=0Q1&SubChar=Q
    http://www.cannonracecraft.com/
    http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/uploads/File/upload/ems-catalog.pdf

TIRES
  5. erdsh

erdsh KTM 640 Adventure, Gasgas EC250

Oddometer:
    This model was manufactured until 1993 with no changes. I had one, '93 just the same. great bike.
    When well tuned, it starts very easy everyday.
    I would not change the carb, its a good one. the only thing to change is the exahst. and you do not have to do that, the bike is strong enough.
    I changed oil very frequently and when selling the bike, the tests showed the engine was in a very good condition.
    Since that TT I had 3 other TTs: '98 TTR, '95 TTS, '95 TTE.
    Great bike.
  6. dvgonzo

dvgonzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one that I bought brand new back in '84! It was a hoot. I horse whipped that bike for 16 years and the only trouble I ever had with it was once the CDI croaked, and if I would let the little automatic compression release cable get to far out of adjustment it could be a real bear to start.

Maybe that is why I had to have a new knee installed about a year ago?

I liked the motor so much I picked up an SRX 600 and still have that one today! :thumbup
    Baloffski likes this.
  7. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to go through everything on the bike and replace or repair what has been neglected. I know it needs tires, fork seals, It is leaking oil from the split in the cases on the bottom. I would like to get it plated also.

I was thinking about changing the forks but I think I will wait until I get everything else done. I never had any problem with the drum brakes but the last time I rode it was in 1997.

Between the centerstands and the other bikes I like to ride it may sit until next winter. I hope not. I may have to start working on it at night.

I have a lot to get reacquainted with. I have the 6volt system on this bike and would like to find out what I need to do to change it over to 12v. I was hoping that the XT components will fit to change it over. I will have a lot of questions for you guys when I get into it.

I thought the bike was heavy when I bought it. I went from open two strokes to the TT. It sure is much lighter than the L and has a lot more power.

Mike
  8. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    That's good info,
    Do you have access to parts for these bikes in GY (I assmue thats Guyana)
    The lack of OEM parts at a resonable price is what causes most to sell or scrap these beasts - I think.
  9. erdsh

erdsh KTM 640 Adventure, Gasgas EC250

Oddometer:
    GY stands for my town. its a small town in Israel.
    all engine parts are as in XT600.
    the frame, electricity and brakes are from Europe. Brembo, Bosch etc.
    I have lots of books of the XT and TT. the books are in PDF format and are very big files. let me know how to share these files and I will.

[​IMG]

I do have lots of extra parts, but it is not economic sending them by mail (I think).

In this bike I did some modifications:
    I bought a '95 TTE with electric starter, I bought a TTS with kick starter and combined them both.
    this bike had the TTS frame and rebuild forks and shock, rebuild engine with Yamaha competition full system. the engine was combination of both which had electric startrer and kick starter with the modification to start the bike without the battery.
    I did almost 100K Km with this bike over the 3 years I owned it. it was my everyday commuter and my traveling bike. The guy who bought the bike from me, is using the bike a lot and we ride together sometimes.
    If you have any questions which I can help, please, feel free. I'll do my best to assist you in any way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures for a trip I did a couple of years ago.
  10. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my TTR600. It has got a aftermarket exhaust + header, lowered footpegs and a WR mask.

[​IMG]

Here in Rally mode with windshield, roadbook, tripmaster and huge 33 liter tank. Unfortunately I haven't got the time yet, to give the tank a propper paint and decal finish.

[​IMG]
  11. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    It seems the TT was a street legal i.e. lights and blinkers bike in Europe and South America while I have yet to see a stock streetable TT in the states.

Mine a -'84- is a 6Volt, no battery, no speedo or brake indicating sysytem.

It also seems the newer, post 1990, TT600s are using the "Grey Engine" with a kick starter.
  12. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Fantuzzi....
    This is the bike I want:evil
    Are you coming to America any time soon:D
  13. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
    g'day. i've got an '88 model TT600. i've fitted a WR426 front end to it. used some XT bits to make it 12 volt. ZZ-R (EX?) 250 carbs were a good upgrade and an easy fit. i had to reshape the tank a bit with a hot air gun.

i stopped riding it a while ago when it was giving me some trouble and bought a KLR. i miss the TT a lot now. i'll have a rummage around and see if i've got some pics.
  14. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's purdy.....I want one.
  15. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of fitting 250 carbs.
    What model/size will work?
  16. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I test fit them on my '84 TT600. They bolt right up but you'd have to mod the tank to get the throttle assembly to work, which I didn't want to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a couple pics of the bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. dnnyrckts

dnnyrckts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I upgraded to 12 volts on my '83 a few years back. The stator went bad and I had it re-wound. Since there were several poles on the original stator that hadn't been wound I asked that they wind the extra poles as lighting. Changed the regulator and bulbs to 12 volt and I was in business. Bright headlight that doesn't flicker when idling. I did notice a very slight effect on throttle response, but eventually got used to it.
  18. Kelly_O

Kelly_O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, We're SOMEBODY! I have an '84 TT600 that I purchased a year ago. It IS street legal in Colorado. A couple of weeks ago I fitted a 1990 Honda XR600 front end to her. Kept the TT triple clamps and swapped everything else. I had to shim the axle to make it 1/4" wider. Other than that, a direct swap. I haven't a single picture to share, but I'll work on that. Welcome HOME everybody, Kelly.:clap
  19. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Doctor,
    the Belgarda TT's are designed and built in Italy and officially sold in Europe and (I think) Australia. Especially the last ones were sold from 98 to 2005. It is basically a better XR600R, but it simply came too late to market to be a major success.
    The consequence now is, that you can buy them cheap as dirt with extremely low milage here.
    I will take one with me on my next trip to North America.
  20. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    So, what modifications has everyone done to get their TT up to snuff?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I thought we could compile all the mods onto a single post and keep it near the front of the thread so new folks could see what is possible.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I.e. I used a 1996 KX 500 on my '84. I had to press the steering stems out of the triples and use the TT stem with the KX tree.<o:p></o:p>
    There is a slight (<10mm) difference in the placement of the forks in the tree, but I can notice any flex or steering probs<o:p></o:p>
    I used a 94 or 95 brake and wheel set up from a KX250...fit perfect. May be narrower than the KX500 or the TT600 but it bites good in the dirt and I can actually stop in the wet stuff now<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :clap<v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype> and the springs don't bottom as easily - I'm a pretty big boy.<o:p></o:p>
    In total I paid about 200 - 250USD for part and bearings. EBay is usually the place to go.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    What other front ends have people put on to stop this big girl or get better spring rates?

And for the Belgarda Crowd...How is the suspension on the newer TT600. Did Yamaha do good?