XS650 Appresh

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by buffaloborn, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem to be much action going on here, no rides [with photos] & rebuilds???? :eek1
    Been busy watching bushfires threatening our neck of the woods, :huh
    [​IMG]
    this one was stopped after 35kms of rampaging through rough country, it covered 25km of that distance in one day, a decent sized fire but fairly slow travelling [very rough country], photo is at about 20kms out, was stopped @ 'Devils Gap' - just 10kms [6mls], short of our place :eek1
    Cheers
    Baza
  3. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Baza.................I saw on the news, all the fires that Australia is having these days. I guess your country is setting records for high temperatures.

Its winter here in our area. My 78 XS650 SE is having a 5 months nap in the garage. I've got the gas tank, carbs and wheels off the bike, so I can do a little clean up. I won't be doing any riding until late April.

The annual Caigary motorcycle show was on about a week ago. Lots of nice new bikes to drool over:D. There were two XS650's at the show. One was just on display in the Vintage section.................had a king and queen seat, and a really big sissy bar..................did not appeal to me at all. The second XS650 was a custom bobber that a shop said was sold for $9200.00 . It was well done but I don't believe it sold for $9200.00 :evil. I'd say it was worth about $5000.00.
  4. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to tell you...
    If you buy your tickets at capitol yamaha the package includes a hat pin, a hat, and one lap
    around the track with goldwings and mopeds at 60mph.

1983 Laguna Seca road trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, I might put together some photos later, of a trip up to Queensland or have I already done that?????? :lol3
    Don't worry folks, I'm a bit frazzled @ moment - 'nightshift blues' :deal
    Cheers
    Baza
  6. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the first motorcycle sports was hillclimbing. In some parts it's done on roads winding through estates.
    In the U.S. the most common form is similar to solo drag racing , up a steep incline , on dirt , with breakers to negociate.
    The XS 650 is used in the 800cc class , with suitable mods , of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

Wild bits of gear, wonder if you could get one registered??!!! :lol3
    thanks for posting those photos :eek1
    Cheers
    Baza
  8. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the most part they run on the ragged edge. Nitro -Methane is great for making power and heat. Not so much living a long life.
    At the hill where I got these pics a good run on a perfect day was a little over 6 seconds.That's fast when you add in the the three breakers.Out of the hole you have to back off so you don't go too skyward , air time kills your drive.By the third breaker it's pretty much full throttle and hang on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I getting ready to tear the XS apart for some much needed maintenance. I have a new Shinko 705 front tire on the way and I want to change the exhaust. Either a whole different system or at least some different mufflers. Its probably time for a chain/sprockets and the clutch was slipping a little last year as well.

Its time to come up with a different paint scheme as well. I have been looking thru the pics of desert racers and still not sure what to do. I have some black, silver,white and green on the shelf. Maybe after a few beers it will come to me.:evil

Heres the before pic, I will post one after its back together:

[​IMG]

I'm considering removing this bike from sidecar duty. Its been a lot of fun but I would like to mount the car to something with a little more HP for longer trips and keep the XS for dual sport riding.
  10. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    I found the same thing with an XS650 outfit I put together in '80's, not enough muscle in some situations :huh
    Chers
    Baza
  11. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    In the late 80s, early 90s, a co-worker gave me a running XS650, the one with the Akront alloy wheels. Doing as per my usual MO, I put a 19 in Dirt Track tire on the front, and a K81 on the rear, some flattrack handle bars (#10 Flanders bend, if I recall correctly), and I rode that sucker to work, every day for 2 years. There was even a road jump/railroad crossing, I hit that sucker every day at about 90, and caught maybe 5 or 6 inches of air, probably 15 feet past the crossing, great fun. One day, right after the road jump, the engine locked up at about 90. Being an old 2 stroke guy, I was pretty quick on pulling the clutch in and coasting to a stop. I started looking at it, and there was a crack, from the exhaust flange, all the way down the cylinder, and into the cases. Whoa. I trucked it home, took the carbs off, and there was a piece of cylinder liner in the carb. Turns out that it dropped a cam chain, at probably 6500rpm or so. That was it for that bike, gave it away for parts. It was fun to ride though. There was a dirt oval out in the farm fields on the way to work, and after work, I'd pop off a few laps around it. Just for kicks.
  12. dungspreader

dungspreader King of the Heap

Oddometer:
  13. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Damm I wish I could work out how to get them to Australia!!!! :eek1
    Look in brilliant condition too :ear
    Cheers
    Baza
  14. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Baza! I read the post about long-distance bikes, and your 2 bikes came to view!!:lol3:lol3:lol3
    Its neat to see that the xs650 can go the distance!!!:clap:clap BIG ED XS 650 FAN!!
  15. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

You mean these pair of Aces!! :lol3

[​IMG]
    50,000kms+ on each motor now since last rebuild, no major probs :clap
    Cheers
    Baza
  16. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES!!!!!:eek1:lol3
  17. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Spending a day [tomorrow], doing oil/filter changes, often find I'm about 2,000kms over change point. :deal
    [​IMG]
    With the filters I'm running, regular maintenance is a must, :wink:
    [​IMG]
    + dirt roads I'm on mostly are fairly dusty - not mention the fact of swimming in water & mud, bad habits I know :eek1
    [​IMG]
    Never expect either of my bikes to be shiny, :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Baza
  18. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    mudbath anyone???? :lol3
    [​IMG]
    just a few to make ya laugh :eek1
    [​IMG]
    and to prove that old Yamahas go down fighting!!!! :clap
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Baza
  19. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    This one at the Cleveland International Motorcycle Show Saturday.
    [​IMG]
  20. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Well if you want proof of how tough these old beasts are, try this on for size :ear
    Thought I'd better change the oil & filter on the 'White Beast', no probs, dropped the oil out - 'shit this is a bit dark??', :eek1
    pulled the paper filter out, using a MikesXS system, 59,500kms marked on the filter, 70,787kms on the speedo, only 6,000kms overdue!!! :deal
    I really need a good kick up the arse sometimes, gotta start running logbooks again!!! :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza