Help - HID install

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mhumphrey, Feb 7, 2010.

1. mhumphrey

mhumphrey BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Apologies in advance for the dumb questions, but I am trying to install a kit from DDMTuning, but I am not sure about the install of the bulb into the headlamp. There is a part that came with the kit, and I am not sure where it goes. I've attached a few pictures below.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, there is a translucent white plastic washer that was in the little plastic case holding the bulb. Do I discard that or is it used in some way?
  2. tyler73

tyler73 n00b 'bout covers it...

Oddometer:
    Not 100% but I think that's the case the bulb ships in. Can't imagine anywhere it would fit in during the install.
  3. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    No, apparently it is a "spacer" (I found this by reading a document on their site). In the doc it says that some installations need these, others don't. I'm still not sure if it's needed in my case.
  4. GAP

GAP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume it is used on a car application. The piece is not necessary and gets in the way. I carefully cut the piece with a Dremel wheel and threw it away. I have installed complete sets of DDM hid's on GSA's and these pieces go in the garbage. Cut carefully to avoid the wires.
  5. GAP

GAP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't remember the spacer. Test fit the bulb in the bulb location after you remove the stocker. It should fit nicely. Be careful with the metal spring clips that hold the bulb as the plastic that they pivot on is rather brittle and can break.
  6. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    The best I could tell it's not used on my 07. Installed both high and low beam with out and mount just fine
  7. johnnuke

johnnuke Submariner

Oddometer:
    I didn't use it on the '09 hi or low beam install.
  8. laukkanen

laukkanen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed a DDM kit two weeks ago and did not receive the part you have a picture of in the original post.

As for the white washer, remove it- once you unscrew the bulb container, anything that is sliding around / moving does not go into the housing, just the raw bulb and the base that you cannot remove from it. You have to break the plastic ring that the case screws onto
  9. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't have to do that. Just threaded the wiring and the various connectors through the opening.
  10. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the helpful info!

Unfortunately, one of the ballasts is bad. I posted a note using the DDM support page, but so far no response.

I do have the low beam working, though. Now I just need to find someway to mount the ballast. This is on an 2009 R1200GS. I have the Hepco/Becker Tank Guard installed. I was thinking of using a piece of aluminum bar attached to the two screws up under the beak that the Hepco/Becker attaches to. Any suggested alternatives?
  11. GAP

GAP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may have a polarity problem. In a previous thread, a friend of mine with a new 2009 GSA (Adanista) ordered DDM hids. We put them on all his lights and all went well except one didn't work. Suspecting a defective ballast, he called DDM and was told to try switching polarity at one of the connectors. He did and problem was solved. You simply and carefully pull out the wires going into the connector and put them in the others place. It seems polarity is not an issue with halogens but important for hids.
  12. GAP

GAP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, DDM also said that if it still doesn't work, send back the ballast and they will test it and send out a new one if found defective.
  13. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that's not the problem. The other ballast works with the exact same connections to the same light. But just in case the ballast is internally wired backwards, I flipped the power connector and tried it again. This time it doesn't even flash briefly (before it would flash, but immediately go out).
  14. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    I've got the same issue with my high beam. I just installed high and low this weekend and in the garage they worked great but on the ride into work this am and first use of the lights on the road I was checking to see how much light the high beam had and got the LAMPF indicator. Checked at work and it flickers then turns off. I will swap electrical when I get home and verify connectors too. Does anybody know if the bulbs are the same if you order a 35w or 55w ballist? I've got a 35w I could use as a test ballist.
  15. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    With DDM the bulbs are the same regardless of the ballast (35W or 50W). I finally got in touch with them and have sent the defective balance back for exchange. They are apparently out so it might be a week or two before I see the replacement. I'm going to go ahead and just finish up the low beam for now; we've had some nice weather and it's frustrating not to be able to ride.
  16. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    Yup, I spoke with them yesterday about another issue and asked about the ballist and that is what they told me. Took it apart yesterday after work and I may have had a connection that was not complete. After resecuring the connections rechecked and the light is now working. Wiggle test connectors several times and no issue. Rode bike approx 1 hr with high beam on and no issue so far. Best of luck with the new ballist.