2 up to Alaska on a wee, who has done it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by sect8dr, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:
    I am starting to think of a trip to take next summer and a friend of mine and inmate on here mentioned doing an Alaska trip. I am all for it and i am even planning on trading my "last" streetbike for a very low milage like new DL650 next week. Just looking for pointers from anyone who has done a trip up north on one. It will have the factory Suzuki side bags and i am looking into the biggest top box that happy trails sells (58L i think). Just wondering if this setup would take us on a three week trip 2 up the whole way. Anything in particular to watch or service on this bike? I figure it will be a solid 9-10,000 mile trip. What would be the best tire to use on the way up and back? Should i use a knobby once i get to Alaska? I am still sifting through ride reports and the Vstrom index but any help would be great.
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW the first generation factory cases on the DL aren't rated very highly among owners.

I've only known two people to have them, and both of them bought something different within a year. They work, but there are better, cheaper options.

You mentioned the bike being used, so I suspect it already has the cases. If they're in good shape, you can remove them and sell them for decent money and buy better stuff.

Jamie
  5. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:

It is a 2011 with about 1500 miles on it. The side cases are on there as well as a top box. Still not sure if i would like to keep the plastic boxes on it, just for the fear of dropping it and busting one wide open. I will look more closely at luggage options after i get the bike
  6. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Contact Sandiegoland, he went in '07 about the same time I did.
  7. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:
    picked up a new 2011 strom on tuesday. No luggage at all so i am going to order everything from happy trails. I have a long list of stuff i am going to bolt onto this bike before the trip and as always i would love some tips from anyone who has done this kind of trip with this bike. Let me know what works.
  8. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats, the wee will do just fine 2 up to AK. :clap:clap

You may have to snap down a gear or two for a quick pass, but the bike is definitely up to the task. :deal

I haven't done this trip via moto, but I have to say, "Don't miss the Bugaboos."
  9. Baron650

Baron650 650x2

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike!
    Maybe consider Pelican or Seahorse for cases. If the aluminum ones don't leak before the drop, they sure will after.
    This is my buddy's Alaska thread from this summer-
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816164
    He was on the 1000, but the wee is just as big.
    Happy planning!!
  10. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    I rode to AK and back with a friend who rode his wee up there in '08. Solo, with luggage, his rear shock blew on the Alcan (frost heave). You may want to consider upgrading the shock, especially 2-up w/luggage.
  11. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I am not a big fan of riding a Wee to Alaska, There are a lot better bikes built just for that.
  12. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please enlighten us, which bike is built specifically for "riding to Alaska?" Perhaps he doesn't want to pay $16,000 for a 600 pound behemoth. :rolleyes
  13. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    A Wee is a fake adventure bike ,,,,,,, It's a Street bike, Track bike, commuter bike,
    Outright dangerous on gravel.
    If there ever was a study made on how many guys have been hurt or killed trying to ride V Stroms to Alaska the Canadian government would probable make them turn around at the boarder.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't know one post could contain so much bullshit.
  15. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :sweeti = closest thing to a troll smiley I could find..
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Subscribed - I want to read up on the accounts of Wee riders who threw their bikes away on gravel roads.

Hey, there very well be merit to it if he's read of a lot of suck accounts. Certainly the Wee is a quasi-adventure bike, no doubt there... but are they really that much worse on gravel roads for any design reason?
  17. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to start anything here, I have a Wee that I ride to work everyday. Might be the best commuter bike ever, Just last year when we were on the Alaska trip I know of 4 V Strom riders crashed bad enough that 3 had to be flowen out and one was dead on the Dempster. Think what you want. I have a 990R KTM [son's] and a Tenere and the Wee that I can ride any time and there is so much differance that the Wee should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph. Do what you want to.
  18. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:

sounds to me like operator error. Unless you witnessed these crashes, you have no evidence that it was the fault of the bike.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

And don't forget about the countless individuals who have ridden their cruisers, goldwings, sportbikes, etc.... to Alaska without crashing.
  20. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember that the world's most travelled motorcycle is not a GS1200, SuperTenere, 990 Adventure.. or a V-strom for that matter. It is one Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Classic, that's been to over 190 countries, mostly two-up.

Someone ought to tell those guys that you cannot do trips like this on a bike like that :lol3