PNWGS Adventure Rally 2007, got pics and feedback??

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Guaglione, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Allrighty then. So the '07 edition of PNWGSR has come and gone. Personally, I think we achieved the impossible, which was to top last years event.:clap

What I need are pictures, as I am a crap photographer, and our staff photographer was unable to attend.

Also, any and all feedback is encouraged. I need to know what to do to make this event even better, and your suggestions are welcome.:deal

just don't tell me to make it cheaper. We took a bath this year, and if it were not for the generosity of our sponsors, we'd be in big trouble :bluduh :huh

So, bring it on, please.

I have some pics I'll post up soon.

Cheers,

Luca
  2. snsbeemer

snsbeemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luca,
    I think you already know that I had a great time at the Second Annual Pacific Northwest GS Rally.
    I know it added to the cost but, I really liked the added day. It gave a chance to do the Jimmy Lewis class on Friday and then rest a bit on Saturday with the option of hanging out or riding some of the really good FS roads around the rally.
    I do like the fact that you have the meals included with the price of addmission to the rally. Not having to worry about if you have to hit the cash machine to buy breakfast is nice. I guess that if you did charge for most of the meals that could help out a bit.
    I personally love the venue at Menlo. It could have certainly been warmer this year however.
    Jimmy Lewis class VS Rawhyde class of last year. Honestly I think if they were taught at the same places (Bruces fabulous back yard) they might have been closer in a learning value sort of way.
    One really huge difference is that Jimmy has been doing this type of riding most all of his life and it shows in the way he explains and demonstrates what he wants from us students. Addmitedly I was a bit nervous about the kind of things someone of Jimmys reputation would have us doing.:huh Right away all of us in the class were at ease with the man. He is a really good teacher and Heather does a great job of keeping him on track.
    Also, it was pure joy to watch him "play" with a GS1200 Adventure making it look like he was riding an XR 250.
    I learned more from Mr. Lewis' class compared to last year and have sent them an email thanking them again, and again, etc.

Scott
  3. RFA

RFA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a fantastic weekend, Luca. Having Jimmy Lewis teach a class in our own backyard and then share his experiences---both the formal Dakar presentation Friday night and then just sitting around drinking a beer with the man---seems like a once in a lifetime kind-of-thing. For GS fans and Dakar dreamers, it will be tough to top that.

Here are a few photos that I took. I also have some movies of Jimmy doing figure eights in the corral riding both the XChallenge and Aaron's black HP2, but will need to send those to someone for posting.

Attached Files:

4. RFA

RFA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rally grounds

Attached Files:

5. RFA

RFA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gathering for a group ride.

Attached Files:

6. RFA

RFA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Food & beer tents.

Attached Files:

7. LongWays

LongWays No one's treading on you, sweetie.

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    What to change? Not much. How about an "advanced" GS clinic ala Wayne's novice class followed by a challenging I-dare-you-not-to-drop-your-bike ride. For sure David's tire repair seminar was a worthy addition and more technical classes like that would be welcome; suspension setup, auxillary light applications & aiming as couple of thoughts. And for something completely off the cuff, Red Cross first aid training - they offer 1/2 day certification courses for basic first aid and another for CPR.
  8. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go Ranjan Go!

Looking pretty good there!

[​IMG]

Dave:wave
  9. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    I had a great time at the rally and I enjoyed the way you put it together. If you have to raise the cost to cover expenses I would still come back. If you look at what you got for the money I would say that I'm way ahead.

I couldn't attend the Lewis clinis but I leaned a lot from Wayne.

For everybody who put this together a hearty THANK YOU ALL.

:clap :freaky :clap :freaky :clap
  10. crash a-ron

crash a-ron mmm...burnt steel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Um...I'm gonna need a copy of that!

Great weekend- Thanks to everyone involved! Special thanks to the boss for letting me go play too!
  11. Tantrum

Tantrum Condescending Nag

Oddometer:
    If anyone would've told me that my first ever 2up ride was going to be behind Jimmy Lewis Id've probably said NOWAY! (Please confess and contact me if you have a pic of that!) That's the kind of top drawer personal performance that Heather, Jimmy and everyone taking part in this rally was ready to give. Starting with Luca's implementation of the event to classes, presentations, rides and support for any and all bike/rider related needs. Every aspect of the event was totally down to earth and well executed. I have'nt been more impressed w/organizers, sponsors and comrades.
    For me, this rally will be hard to top. Especially since I'm the beneficiary of new BMW Enduro riding gear :clap ! So many thanks to South Sound BMW for that donation:bow And to all for the other generous donations.
    Most important, I'm the beneficiary of new riding skills that are unreplaceable. And I would'nt have them if not for this rally.:D Thanks again for such a wonderful opportunity.
  12. blownaway

blownaway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to Luca, Charlie, Brendan, Harold, Ranjan, Mike, Marco, Wayne, Dan, Steve, Herb, Heather & Jimmy Lewis, ride organizers, sponsors, and all the friendly folks how attended and helped put together such a cool event! :wink:

Highlights include, Jimmy & Heather's clinic & ride, Mike Paull’s slide show, Jimmy’s Dakar talk, a pig roast, Wallipa oysters, sweet watermelon, new friends, starry nights, grilled salmon, beer, sunshine, small town charm, campfires, Luca's stories, beautiful scenery, ocean beach riding & prizes. The bar has been set!

Here are a few moments to remember…

Luca’s shuttle express…
    [​IMG]

Jimmy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy loading the front end for a wheelie
    [​IMG]

Downhill stoppie, Heather looking on
    [​IMG]

Shawn in the "Jimmy Lewis downhill simulator' :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captain Jack's tasty roast pig :thumb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckly no one was hurt when the back wheel fell off :eek1
    [​IMG]

:lol3
    [​IMG]
  13. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, guys,
    keep it coming!!!!

Luca
  14. Marco Prozzo

Marco Prozzo Off the Grid&Outa'the Box

Oddometer:
    Mea culpa. Hey, great pics, everyone! I'm going to have to retire...you don't need no stinkin' staff photographer! Keep'em coming!

Here's the only one I'll contribute. Y'all can throw a pity party for me and Luca. My right foot (never skimp on your boot budget):

xray.jpg :fall :waysad
  15. MotoBurke

MotoBurke n00b

Oddometer:
    Had a great time and learned a lot. I am looking forward to next year's rally. Here are a few pics...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  16. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Ahh the camp fire, sitting around swaping lies:
    [​IMG]

Before we got lost: [​IMG]

The views were awful :lol3
    [​IMG]

Came back for lunch on Saturday and watched Jimmy's class (You know who you are :rofl )
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But don't worry, Jimmy set the bar high :eek1 (on Aaron's HP2) :lol3
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think I'll leave now - :evil [​IMG]

Man listening to that 950 try and start (clank, clank, grind, grind - pow) almost made me give up on looking at the 950 SE - but that thang was soooooo much fun to ride:
    [​IMG]

Someone else in the torture pit of whoo: [​IMG]

and another (I think everyone 'cluding me got to pick up their bike in this one) :freaky [​IMG]

Brad and I went out for one last ride Saturday:
    [​IMG]

Yes Virginia - those are baseball sized rocks :wink: [​IMG]

80-mph super highway, just slow down before crossing over the center line :lol3
    [​IMG]

And a final parting bridge shot: :clap [​IMG]

Luca, great time, let's do a more advanced skills class next year and skip the baked potato lunch...

Otherwise perfect...

PWGS (aka Russ)

Yes, I have bigger pictures on my 'puter (don't know why they came out so small in the batch conversion)

Luca
    (P.S. I'll teach if you provide the waiver statements) :wink:
  17. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't painfully clear the first time around - everyone had a great time. As evidenced by the round of laughter of the gallery...:lol3

[​IMG]

Hi Dave (Or-DSR) I see you crackin' a big grin :D
  18. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only reason I'm grinning is because it wasn't me on the floor :D

Dave
  19. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    This past weekend I attended the Pacific Northwest GS Adventure Rally in Menlo, WA. It was the best four days I have spent with my bike in a long time. The PNW GS’ers did an excellent job and I can’t thank them enough for making those four days so memorable for me, and I’m sure for many others too. Would also like to thank all the helpers and sponsers too. You all did a great job!

I was also lucky enough to get on the Jimmy Lewis Clinic on Saturday. It was a sheer pleasure meeting and talking to both Heather and Jimmy Lewis. Their off road class is a must for anyone that wants to learn how to ride off road safely. The class was very informative and entertaining, covering such needed skills as braking, positioning, balance, clutch and throttle control, emergency braking and so on. Just watching how Mr Lewis rides is awe inspiring, at some point it appears he and the bike become one, both working together in perfect harmony. By the way if you ever get to meet him, ask him about the “HAMMER” at the 2001 Paris to Dakar Rally :-)

Here are a mixture of photos in no particular order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Lewis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave
    PS - Still working on all the photos and video - Please be patient with me!
  20. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    Very kewl pics Dave, I think you captured the moment well. :bow :wings

Gotta decide - HP2 or R 950 SE decisions decisions decisions :lol3 They are both un-tameable beasts :poser :augie

(Thanks Gabe) :freaky :thumbup