Two noobs and a season of cross country racing.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Luke, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Congratulations guys :clap Now where the heck are you going to display those huge things? :lol3
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, they are huge. I like the one arm raised in victory. Maybe that can be your action shot for coming year.
  3. oregonsage

oregonsage Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a little guy sitting at my table. His trophy was 3" taller than he was. Quite a sight.
  4. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
  5. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    open ended period?
  6. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm still racing? Not noobs anymore :D
  7. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Not so much. :D

I'm still racing. About to wrap up another season; I have to miss the next race and then there's one left after that that I'm hoping to have a new bike ready for.

I don't know what's wrong with Paul. Last I saw him he had a Goldwing with a trailer in a trailer and was mumbling something about the Starvation Ridge 24 hour. :jump
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Starvation Ridge on a Goldwing pulling a trailer. :eek1

That would be something to see. :D
  9. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
  10. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Now an electric goldwing pulling a trailer...
  11. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Welp, just read this entire thread from start to finish... what a story and what a season! You guys both have a real gift for describing the play-by-play of an event, made excellent reading.

At age 39 I entered my first race earlier this year, the Shelton Valley timekeeper enduro, caught the bug big time. Conditions were awful and I just barely managed to keep from houring out. Biggest problem was my own (lack of) fitness; I was just dragging myself along after about mile 40. I can relate to so much of your experience, and learned a ton from this thread. I'm stoked for next season!

I turn 40 in June, not sure which class I should enter, but it will be beginner either way for sure. Maybe I'll see you guys out there! Any other NWNoobs getting ready for the NMA or OMRA series? Fitness tips? Easier and a hell of a lot cheaper for me to shed 15 pounds of extra weight, rather than from the bike. :lol3
  12. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing and checking out the old thread! My fitness tips are simple. Ride. A lot. We were training/riding twice a week when we could. And we thought of it as training, not joy-riding. One day we might practice hill climbs, the next, a rock garden. I get bored even thinking about working out at a gym. Riding hard uses muscles that you just can't duplicate any other way. For me it is what worked best. I did a little cardio on an elliptical and walked my dogs up logging roads.

But as you improve your riding, by riding more, you will find that you expend much less energy because you will be riding much smoother. It becomes easier to ride harder and faster, so you work less doing it. Sounds crazy, but it works. You also crash less, which helps conserve energy too. You will be amazed just how fast your riding will improve if you attack it as training and do lots of it.

Hope that helps!

:freaky
  13. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    +1

Even just trail riding I find that if I have been away too long, I am knackered in about a half hour. I hold on too tight, and fight for control. I react both too much, and in the wrong way. All that saps energy quickly.

Once I have refreshed my memory, I find myself pretty much just guiding the bike, holding on just tight enough that it doesn't leave me.
  14. fatmama

fatmama Adventurer

Oddometer:
    happy belated new year everybody.

big thanks to the two noobs for this thread.
    I got on this from a link on the adv drz thread about page 240 and got hooked immediately by your writing style and humour. Read it all, thanks for making me giggle more than once. Very inspiring.

I am currently at the end of a two month adventure / camping tour thru the north of Thailand with my 2000 drz400s with gf perched between my bum and the luggage.

Awesome forum here, kudos to all contributors.

Sawasdee Krup IMG_20211229_174714.jpg IMG_20211226_164314.jpg IMG_20211222_095712.jpg
    Dracula likes this.