Edgewood to Grand Forks?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BCBackRoads, Jul 4, 2011.

1. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    I've been playing around on mapsource and google earth and I've mapped out a route on FSR's between Edgewood and Grand Forks. Starting at Grand Forks, it follows Granby River Rd, Burrel Creek FSR and Worthington Creek FSR. It looks to be about 120 Km +.

[​IMG]

Has anyone done this route recently? Is it passable? I was up Granby Rd as far as the pavement goes a few years ago and it is pretty country.

Wayne
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Couple of years ago on a GS and was very rideable. A few rough spots after a hot dry summer. Almost had to turn back 1 KM from Edgewood though as they were working on the bridge there and they weren't covered for insurance if we got hurt crossing while under construction. After hanging around for an hour the workers turned their backs as we pushed our heavily loaded bikes across a plank. Scary at the time.
  3. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    I have been over it this year and it is fine. I was on the 990

Any bike can do that road, but the KTM makes it more fun.:D
  4. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a great trip a couple of years ago, less than 2 hours in total travel time.

Just watch out for the washboard on the switch backs, Edgewood side.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    The Missus and I did it last year on our 950's coming back from the Horizons Rally in Nakusp. Nice ride, no traffic. We met one couple in a pick me up. Beautiful country for sure.
  6. BCBackRoads

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replys. I'm planning to get out there and ride it in the next week or two.

Wayne
  7. dharmasister

dharmasister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome tip, I might have to incorporate that into my ride up to the HU rally this August!
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    So......who is going to try Octopus Ctreek (South of Fauquier) to the other side, don't have my maps here, but should take you around South Slocan. 4WD only....!:wink:
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grizz country.
    Might still be snowed in. You come out to Hwy 6 at Passmore (a bit north of Slocan Park).
  10. H96669

Oddometer:
    No prob with the Grizzlies, don't have to go too far behind my place to find them, they even visit us sometimes.:D

But how is that road usually? Not that I want to take the GS up there.....but I have another little goat or two.:wink:
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rough. Doable. Someone in a Toyota Tercel 4wd did it a few years back. Might be rougher than normal this year with the snow quantity. I'll see if can round up someone and we'll go for a look from the east side. There's a post on here somewhere of a group of 650s plus doing it a couple of years ago.
  12. Revelstoker

Revelstoker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Up and over to Slocan from Fauquier is a nice straightforward ride as well. One quick suggestion; when you hit Hwy 6, cross over to Lemon Creek and that will shoot you out just North of Nelson on Hwy 3A.

Who needs GPS when these are hanging in the trees...
    [​IMG]

On the way to Edgewood via Burrell Creek
    [​IMG]

Bartron juicing the 800 up from Slocan
    [​IMG]
  13. H96669

Oddometer:
    Well....that is just one of my goats, an 83 Tercel 4wd, 375,000 Kms and never breaks down. Skidding logs uphill, hauling rocks ,firewood & lumber by the ton, it has done it all. Thinking of putting a plow on it too.:D

Thanks Revelstoker for the following post, sounds like a nice circle route for someone, Grand Forks/Edgewood/Fauquier/Octopus/Slocan then down across Greys Creek etc...etc....!A couple Hot Springs.....:wink: I am sort of in the middle of all that so can go whichever way. Gotta test ride that old GS before I tear into it.:clap
  14. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Did it a number of years ago in my pick-up. If you have time check out the remains of the old Union mine which is in the area....if you are into that kind of thing anyway....
  15. BCBackRoads

Oddometer:
    Is the Union Mine signposted? Hard to find? I'd like to check it out.

Wayne
  16. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    I don't recall any sign posts leading to the old minesite but you could easily figure it out with a bit of investigation and Google Earth....

It is literally just off the FSR....shouldn't be too hard to locate:D
  17. H96669

Oddometer:
    The old Tillicum minesite...:evilI know exactly where that one is.:D
  18. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Another routing option is to take the trail south from Renata up and over Bulldog Mtn and down onto the KVR just west of Castlegar. Did that with the ADSMC guys a couple of years back... doable on a mid-size DS, but bring a saw for all the deadfall.
  19. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:
    I lived up there up tunil about fifteen years ago.
    If you venture off the road into the bush you can usually find a certain "plant" which can grow wild up there. Back in the day the place was full of hemp crops used by the local Russian immigrants. The ancestors of these plants are found growing wild everywhere. Mind you, it's not the caliber of stuff you can buy from that guy in the pimped out acura but it is what it is.
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to be in BC later this week picking up an R80G/S in Revelstoke. Will have a week to goof off before I need to meet the family in Vancouver on the 21st.

Anybody interested in hooking up for a back country ride and showing off some of your favourite routes?

:ear