Know anything about Kymco people 150?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cornercarver, Oct 13, 2010.

1. cornercarver

cornercarver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know scooters at all, but a friend is about to buy one of these off craigslist. For $2K. With 3300 miles on it.

Actually, $2K is the asking price. I told him he's a fool if he pays anyone's asking price on CL.

Anyone have an opinion?
  2. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a fair price to me, as Kymco scooters are a very high quality brand name taiwanese brand. They are known to be reliable and are pretty good bikes. A brand new Kymco 150 is around $2800, that is not to bad. But it would not be bad to try and talk the seller down a little!
  3. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Bullet-Proof is the common feeling about Kymco scooters. If the bike is in good shape and the plastics are clean, that sounds fair. Offer $1,500, pay $1,800 but it might just be worth $2,000 if you want to roll today.

I bought a Kymco People 250 in 2008 with some body damage in 2008, for $2,200 (twice the engine size, freeway confident). I am going fix the damage and the mechanic said if I were listing to sell it today (3 years later,with new body) I should list if for $2,500.
  4. 777arkrider

777arkrider Confused and jet-lagged

Oddometer:
    My wife has a 2009 Kymco Peoples 150. It is a great little scooter that is perfect for in-town riding and commuting short distances. It is very light, gets better than 80 MPG and in over a year has been very reliable. But, it is very small. If you are over 5'8" it will feel very cramped as there is very little foot room. Also, the handle bars are low, so if you are tall, I think you would be uncomfortable. My wife loves it and we enjoy going on short rides.
  5. robrides85

robrides85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2005, 1500 miles, asking 1000 dollars, offering $850 and still not entirely sure I should get it.

Why? Thing's scratched up so bad it looks like all 1500 miles were ground in sideways going down the highway (exaggeration, but dude/his brother definitely laid it down a couple times), and I'm skeptical about buying a scooter with an "open" title i.e. no buyer name, and the seller's name isn't his.

Oh, and it gets better: dude didn't know the front brakes were hydraulic, so that fluid didn't get changed, didn't know about the final drive oil, break in procedure? Hah!

About the only thing keeping me in the transaction is the cheap price and the comforting thought that not much can go wrong in 1500 miles, most of it with the previous owner (hopefully not so naive re: maintenance). Can it? Guess we'll see what happens.

Anyway, you sure you can't find a cheaper price for it or a comparable scoot?

Searchtempest is my friend

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2013664934.html
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2013571050.html
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1940191661.html
  6. robrides85

robrides85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and yes, you never pay asking price on CL - buyers assume this, sellers do too, and everyone meets in the middle.
  7. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Get that B&W. It's a 250 and will do freeway speeds all day long. Throw a case on the back for your gear/helmet/groceries. Throw in some DR Pulley sliders and it will see better than 80 MPH on that speedometer. It will do 2-up also, easily. That is a great, durable, reliable scooter.

The Buddy is tiny once you get you butt on the seat. The Honda will go forever but it's only a 150 and will never see a freeway.

I just noticed... that B&W has 621 KM on the clock..not MILEs That's barely broken in.