ZUMO 350 Freezing

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Travex, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I second that. For the selfish reason that I'm waiting for Garmin to solve this issue before I commit to a purchase. I have the Oregon 450, so I'm not looking for the Montana (which seems to have problems of its own).
  2. doughnut

doughnut n00b

Oddometer:
    I was told by Garmin CS that the only thing that would cause freezing is corrupt software. However, the only solution I was offered was a hard reset, which I've already done (to no avail). I was given the option to exchange but I'd have to send mine back first (paid by me) and wait for the replacement. I went to my original seller, ordered a brand new one and will exchange the receiver when it arrives and get a refund (and won't have to pay shipping for the new one or return). Hopefully it won't suffer the same problem.
  3. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Did you try what I put in post 15?
  4. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Went 250 miles today with the new replacement unit and had no problems. Everything was as it should be.

One note I failed to mention and would be interested to hear if others with the freezing problem have experienced this also... But leading up to the freezing I recall a 'reluctance' of the 350 to autozoom correctly. Meaning it would not zoom in as it it should. It would rather stay far out or barely zoom in.
    Just an observation.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Was the unit they sent brand new? I know you had some concerns about that.
  6. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Yes it is and it arrived quickly.
  7. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    The new unit failed with the freezing problem yesterday while being directed to a single destination. Twice in one hour during a 250mi ride. First freeze was 9 miles from home. Certainly I'm disappointed, both with the failure and the fact that Garmin will not acknowledge their problem. When I get home I'll address the issue once and only once with them. If they fail to correct the situation to my satisfaction (full refund), the matter will be referred to Governmental and civil consumer bureaus. Enough is enough.
  8. Lion BR

Oddometer:

If this is happening on several 350's, I'm sure you won't be alone on this "conversation" with Garmin.
  9. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Twice in the first forty miles today.
  10. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    3 freezes in 30 miles today.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Bummer.
  12. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Just curious... Did you follow up (again) with Garmin on this?
  13. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer:
    Been too busy and will soon. Will update with details.
  14. Flying GS

Flying GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problem with 350ML in the UK. Freezes daily. Reset + updated to no avail, contacted support, told them what happened and what I did, and they told me to... Reset + update :-)
    Next step according to them is exchange, but I think from what I see here that it's not the answer!
  15. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    That depends on whether they have created some kind of fix yet or not on the newest ones, right? The thing I wonder is why some freeze and others don't.
  16. Jantan

Jantan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello from Finland! I got my Zumo 350LM last summer and it worked fine until this spring. During the winter I did not use it and during my first drive in april it got STUCK:eek1

I contacted Garmin Finland and they said I could have same map twice in the GPS, but I didn't have and I tried hard reset (put one finger on the right bottom corner of the screen and push start button) I did helped for awhile, but then it froze again.

Two weeks ago I took it to the Garmin Finland (my luck it is only 1km away) and they said they are going to replace it. Today I got a brand new 350LM:clap I updated it and ran for a test drive and WHAT THE HELL! IT GOT STUCK after a 30km. I booted it on the fly and rest of the 150km test run it worked ok!

My trust in this machine is gone!
  17. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone (motocyclu) here http://www.sorcieremonique.com/t12783-plantage-zumo-340-lm (maybe) have a cure :

translated ---> "remove (cut) with a cutter the small (rubber) separation between the contacts on the Zumo stand"

Worked for him : no more freezing since he did that.

btw, my 350 never freezes ... hope it lasts :norton

L
  18. Lion BR

Oddometer:

That's interesting.

Based on this it should be the case that if it freezes, it only happens on the motorcycle stand (assuming this is the stand they are talking about, my French is limited to a couple of swearing words).

On a car's dash board, connected differently, it should never freeze.

And if that is the case, Garmin should be sending new stands, not new Zumos to the people with the freezing problem.
  19. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I would keep making Garmin replace the unit until I got one that did not freeze. I would not start modifying things to try to fix their problem. Doing so only enables Garmin to avoid creating a real solution. At least, that is my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it. :lol3
  20. Lion BR

Oddometer:

But if the problem is really on the stand, sending new machines will not solve it either.