Vietnam on a bike in 27 days!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JonVDH, Jun 11, 2014.

1. JonVDH

JonVDH n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I have to firstly say that I've been reading some brilliant adventures and trip ideas on this forum. Nothing beats going beyond the sites you so often hear about in travel brochures and really uncovering the naked reality of a different culture and place.

This past year I was able to motorcycle across Vietnam on a 100cc lawn-mower engine motorcycle.

Jokes a-side, it was probably the biggest adventure I've been on and experienced.

I'd really love to help and share tales and tips with anyone who might be looking to head to Vietnam for a trip, especially if you're looking to do it by motorcycle.

My trip started as nothing more than a holiday with hope of a tale to tell. Four week later it had turned into a once in a lifetime adventure.

We'd set out to film the trip thinking it'd be nothing more than a home video - it ended up being much more than that :lol:

I started in Ho Chi Minh City and finished in Ha Noi. It took us 28 or so days to complete the trip.

In conclusion: DO THE ADVENTURE.

Any questions from people thinking or doing the same trip, feel free to fire away :D
  2. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Are you going to post any pictures or video?
  3. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I do hope we have a retrospective, told-in-arrears, action-packed Ride Report here with plenty of pictures?

Just in case...... "subscribed".

:lurk
  4. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    What? Vietnam? No picture? Noway!
    :freaky
  5. JonVDH

JonVDH n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, apologies for creating a thread and not including any stories, pictures or video! I've seemed to have gone against the whole idea of a message forum :rofl

Four weeks, two motorcycles and the most amazing adventure I've ever been on! Vietnam is an incredible, diverse, adventure riding haven. I went over with my best mate and purchased bikes from a couple of fellow backpackers and effectively hit the road with no particular place to be.

[​IMG]

Like all motorcycle adventures, problems and mechanical issues were awaiting us around every bend. It was probably all the more of a headache considering the fact we'd never rode a motorcycle in our life before attempting this trip.

[​IMG]

We started in Ho Chi Minh City and headed upwards towards Hanoi, taking in all the major towns and cities a long the way. One of our favourite places was a town called DaLat which sat perched in amongst the clouds and forestry of Vietnam.

[​IMG]

Anyone that has been to Vietnam will know just how delicious the food is here. One of our most beloved meals was a bowl of Pho at the end of each days ride. The stuff warmed the bones and was the perfect reward for a an arse-hurting ride on some of the worlds most chaotic yet beautiful roads!

[​IMG]

I did keep a blog which goes far more in-depth on our mis-adventures, if people are interested I'll format it across to this forum? Alternatively you can read it on the website I made, I'm not sure if linking is allowed so mods please edit my post if it's now allowed http://www.thegreatesttrek.com/day-1-7/ There is also a Video Series I edited together of the trip on YouTube which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19ji2GH1xs7OSB5_wkIqJhQ1tp4qXJwq

If you've ever followed Top Gear and saw the episode where they motorcycled across Vietnam, you can probably understand that we've been quite inspired by their same trip :lol3 They actually put an article in their magazine about our trip :clap

[​IMG]

If you're thinking about doing a similar trip I can't recommend it enough. I would love to answer any questions or go into more detail about any aspect of the ride, I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else who has done a similar trip in regions outside of Vietnam as I can't wait to start planning my next adventure.

Great to be a member here and hope to be a valued contributor going forward :1drink
  6. stan.riner

stan.riner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I line and work in Vietnam. I live an hour East of Ha Long in Quang Ninh Province. I love it here even though I'm working a lot right now. I've only done some two day trips so far but hope to to the full length later on. My wife is also here with me and she rides too.
  7. Vietstrayan

Vietstrayan n00b

Oddometer:
    I also did the same trip back in 2012, but I did it in reverse - Hanoi to Saigon (via Sapa, Hai Phong, Da Lat etc).

4 weeks solo, and on a 'trusty' 125cc Minsk :rofl

Happy to advise on routes etc if anyone is interested in doing the same :)
  8. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    I very much Enjoyed the Video Blog. You guys could give Ewen and Charley a run for their money.
  9. CJ5K

CJ5K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I first got interested in the whole touring/adventuring riding because of that Top Gear episode! Can anyone recommend a good time of the year to do this ride in? Also, how hard is it to find an inexpensive bike over there, and how well did you speak Vietnamese? Think this is a doable ride for someone who only speaks english and a touch of spanish?
  10. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Making my way through your video blogs. Just finished episode 1... all I can say is frking awesome! Very well done. :clap Looking forward to the following episodes.
  11. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had really great experience riding and exploring Vietnam.
    Talking about food, yeah, if someone who may not know about the Vietnam food, you can browse HERE.
    I am sure that inmates here like to see your pix and words right here.
    Thanks for visiting Vietnam and adding Vietnam in your recommendation list.

12. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Finished the video series... Outstanding!! :clap

Now where can I go find a bowl of Pho... :lol3
  13. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just watched the beginning part of the video.
    Question come up to my mind that "those guys don't know how to ride a motorcycle and they plan for a serious ride in Vietnam"!!??