Yooperbikemike's 2012 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by spezjag, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Despite all the buzz about Pedrosa's late season charge and Stoner's PI dominance, I still can't help but be totally impressed with Lorenzo...a worthy world champion again, not due to anyone elses failure but his own impressive performance. When he doesn't win, a bad day is second place. Other's can win races on a given day but can be nowhere to be seen in the results the next round, while Jorge chalks up the points a la Eddie Lawson. Totally impressive. Rossi back on a Yamaha next year could make it interesting but if their last season together is any indication...super consistant Jorge is at least as fast and more likely to keep the rubber side down then the reasonably consistant Rossi. Pedrosa will have to stay healthy and learn to finish second or third occasionally. A third MotoGP championship for Lorenzo is not out of the question.

The old line that Eddie used to quote is true today more then ever...."to finish first you must first finish"!
  2. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    There were of course numerous failures by others that contributed, but no-one can deny his consistent appearance on the podium.

Without diminishing his prodigious talent, it should be noted that the current formula absolutely rewards riders who can start near the front and robotically ride lap after lap within a couple of tenths. It also punishes any rider who deviates from that formula. Racing only statisticians can love.
  3. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:

Takes a hell of a man to be a robot. Like... an ALIEN?. :evil
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rossi back in the front fight would mean Jorge & Dani will need to handle the dogfighting tactics more than they've had to do recently. In fact that is something I'd like to see them prove they can and will do, if required, and not start bitching about being raced unfairly. Dani has shown glimpses of this in -12, but out of the four "original" aliens, Rossi is the master of close combat. Be interesting to see, what MM might bring to that, he certainly does not mind if it gets close, and he has to fight.

Note, that I don't wish they'd ride dangerously, but I'd want to see some close racing up front in the closing laps.Does not happen too often in motogp these days.
  5. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The translation is not completely clear.

Is the ECU also provided by HRC? If so and if I understood the article I suspect HRC would not be in a hurry to investigate.
  7. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    As I read it they are messing with the inputs to the ECU to confuse it to run richer at change points maintaining that bit more power, so not changing eh ECU and it's mapping but adding mapping/ signalling to the inputs to prevent the leaning out condition at gearchange.
    I'm not sure I see that making the difference that sees Marquez ride from the rear of the field to the front, there might be some rider skill involved there...
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yes, I understood that part it just wasn't clear if HRC was involved in any investigation.
  9. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    Clearly I mis-understood what you understood.... :D

Thinking are hard in the morning!
  10. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    + about 1,548...

The way I understand the original text is that Honda provides the engines, sealed, and therefore any tinkering would have to focus on the ECU. THen in the end it only says "read in the current issue [...] why HRC vp Shoei Nakamoto in this case speaks of magic" (inter alia), nothing whether they are involved in the investigation.
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow Ant West, that was some serious cough syrup..
  12. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    One need only think back to Jeremy McWilliams taking pole on the KR3 against the new 4 strokes. For my money, maybe even a match for a Casey lap at the Island.
  13. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    From Crash.net

Anthony West looks set to miss the forthcoming Valencia Moto2 season finale after being handed a one-month ban following the results of an anti-doping test at Le Mans in May.

A prohibited stimulant, Methylhexaneamine, was found during the analysis.

According to Wikipedia, Methylhexaneamine was originally intended as a nasal decongestant and "has been marketed as a dietary supplement in combination with caffeine and other ingredients, under trade names such as Geranamine and Floradrene, to be used as an over-the-counter thermogenic or general-purpose stimulant."

While West has also been disqualified from his seventh place finish at the French Grand Prix, his runner-up results at the last two rounds do not appear to be in jeopardy.

"Following FIM anti-doping controls carried out during the FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix meeting held in Le Mans (FRA), one of the samples was found not in accordance with the FIM Anti-Doping Code," said the FIM statement.

"The sample of Australian Moto2 class rider Anthony West contained Methylhexaneamine, a substance included in 'S.6b Specified Stimulants' prohibited in competition, and thereby infringed Art 2.1 of the 2012 FIM Anti-Doping Code.

"Following the hearing of the rider, the CDI decided to disqualify Anthony West from the French round of the 2012 FIM Moto2 World Championship, held on 20 May in Le Mans.

"In addition, the CDI imposes on the rider a sanction of one month's period of ineligibility to compete in any meeting authorised or organised by the FIM or any FIM-affiliated federation or body or in any competitions authorised or organised by any international or national level meeting organisation, from 30 October 2012.

"An appeal may be lodged with the International Tribunal of Appeal (TIA) within 5 day as from the notification of the decision."

West's case revives memories of Noriyuki Haga's positive test for ephedrine early in the 2000 World Superbike season, caused by a dietary supplement Haga had used over the winter.
  14. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
  15. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superb sleuthing! Thanks for that, I shall be stealing those statistics.
  16. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Crisis management

Oddometer:
  19. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, there's this place where English comes from. It's called England. And they have motorsports too. :D