Afghanistan ride. How to enter, survive and return in one piece...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sambor1965, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sambor1965

sambor1965 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, This pictures should be later but I have to put something in front of the thread to keep you here...
    Jean-Luc and CanuckCharlie like this.
  2. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and Izi have started small adventure company this year. We have started too late and all people has asked us about 2010 ;)
    This story begun when one journalist has called me and asked about Afganistan tour. - Have you been there? I have heard you intend to take people for Afganistan? Is this true?

Well, we have seen Afganistan and road to Wakhan from other bank of Pyanzh but we have not been there. No clients this year, why not take a little ride to Afghanistan just for fun?

Miro, our friend from Slovakia has joined
    us for the whole trip. Krystek and Kajman had no time and they were with us only 10 days...

We have put our bikes on the trailer and started in July with Kajman as a driver. I know - Ukraina and Russia can be exciting for you, but for us is boring as hell. We have crossed these countries several times and we prefered to drink beer after beer in the car than riding from sunrise to sunset by bike.
    Ramish and CanuckCharlie like this.
  3. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Russian and Ukrainian police also can be a pain. Not because bribing - we speak Russian very well and never pay ;) But boring policeman in Russia can stop you 5 times a day asking the same stupid questions: Where are you going? How much cost the bike? What is max speed, consumption, water cooled? etc... It can be funny once a day but it when you are stop 3rd time you understand that it steal your time and than you are forced to push harder.

[​IMG]
    So we choose Kajman's nissan.
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  4. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway after 3 days and 3 nights of driving we reached Kazakhstan. We refused to pay insurace on the border (they asked 10 USD per bike!) and we stopped in Aktobe to do that. Bikes were unpacked and Kajman has started toward Uzbekistan. 2500 km ahead. Ok, we will catch you this afternoon or evening.
    StanBo and CanuckCharlie like this.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm all for adventures in foreign lands... but Afghanistan? :eek1 :thumb

Advfactory for sure!!

:lurk
  6. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 africa twins and a bunch of man love what more can this thread ask for :lol3
  7. Ze Red Baron

Ze Red Baron Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    If this is anything like your last trip, I'm in:thumb

Given that its Afghanistan you're after, I think you'll be taking it up a notch.

:bow :lurk :lurk :lurk
  8. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Last powder preparation

[​IMG]

But bank was closed and we drunk 2 beers waiting when wthey will open it. 5 police car appeared and they started investigation about drunk&driving. There were no bottle or any evidence that we have drunken. And of course we didn't start riding ;) One policman invited Miro to the car and asked him to breathe on the sheet of paper. Than he smell and was able to say what kind of beer was drunken. Nose as a dog... It stopped us for a while but finally we exchanged money from bank and after next 3 hours insured Kajman's car and our bikes (12 USD for all).
    And we started our race behind Kajman.

[​IMG]

Roads in Kazakhstan are straight as it is in Australia or on the praire in USA. Can be boring as hell when it is asphalted.

[​IMG]

After 200 km it become darker. Asphalt disappeared and road was pretty bad. Not so difficult but sandy and rough. We have stopped about midnight in the middle of nowhere and slept 5 hrs. We knew that Kajman drove there during the night.
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  9. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 2 hrs we have met 2 cars from Mongol rally, they said they met Kajman in the night and he took 3rd car (broken) on the trailer and took it to Aralsk. Great news, we will catch him soon.
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  10. davidgibson999

davidgibson999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming.
    Loved your last few trip reports. :clap
  11. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer:
    Bring it on..............:clap
  12. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Aralsk (or Aral) there were no Kajman but we have got sms that he left the "city" 2 hours ago. 150 km? We will catch him soon. we ate a dinner and have added another 1,5 hr. Road is straight and asphalted. We will catch him this afternoon.

Aral was formerly a fishing port and harbour city on the banks of the Aral Sea, and was a major supplier of fish to the neighboring region. Since the retreat of the Aral Sea since 1960, due to diversion of the rivers flowing into it for irrigation, mainly of cotton, during the Soviet era, Aral is now completely landlocked about 12 km from the sea, though this is less than the 100 km distance observed before the completion of a dam in 2005. (wikipedia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pushed hard and has done 770 km this day but we didn't catched him. We were stop by sandy storm, then by some girls and in the evening it was awfull rain and storm. We deceided to stop. Kajman was driving...
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  13. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Next day we have started at 4 am! And we have find him at 11 am waiting for us on the Uzbek border... In the meantime We were stopped for speeding by Kazakh road police. They tried to fine us (200 USD) but I showed them sticker on my bike: "International Police Association". You know man, we policeman have to help each other... I have got this sticker from the scottish policeman who travelled RTW and has stopped in Cracow ;)

Uzbekistan was easy and it took 4 hours to cross it to Tajikistan. To tell you the truth I hate Uzbekistan and I try to cross it as fast as possible. I was arrested there in 1993 and have bad memories...

Tomorrow Tajikistan and more bike pictures...
    Jean-Luc, scudo and GutsyGibbon like this.
  14. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Man I love these fuck'n reports:clap :clap :clap

DW
  15. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. maiden.jade

maiden.jade Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I love a story with lots of pictures. Keep them coming.
  17. Ridesolo

Ridesolo cereal lurker

Oddometer:
    I knew there a coming ride report since I saw the video's in youtube a week or so ago. Sambor you're the man.:clap
  18. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more! :clap
  19. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. sambor1965

Oddometer:
    Ok let's put the link here...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iDj7UBiDcpo&hl=pl&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iDj7UBiDcpo&hl=pl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>