Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to take out the fuel pump and put it in my spare tank since that came without.
    Here some pictures of it..

Fuel cabel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pump taken out
    [​IMG]

Its heavy and sure take a lot off the litre capasity
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Result
    [​IMG]
  2. Boola-Boola

Boola-Boola Scramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting those pictures, henryII.

I'll be fitting the Arrow to my EFI Scram at some point which, according to the instructions, requires fuel tank removal for re-routing the wiring loom of one of the O2 Sensors. From your photo's I now know what is beneath the tank (and what is within it too).

My local dealer was telling me that (on EFI with ignition off) fuel does not flow from the tank when the fuel line is disconnected, but if disconnected soon after a recent engine run there may be a spurt of fuel as remaining pressure is released. Does this match your experience of disconnection and tank removal?

To fit the Arrow I'll be leaving the fuel pump undisturbed of course - just removing the tank - but nice to know if I won't have to drain the tank empty before disconnecting and removing it.
  3. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He maybe right, but I had a little to much gas and the fuel cap will leak. So I drained most of it out, its also easier to
    work with the tank without gas in it. Remember to not wear a zipper sweater :D because you have to hold it close when
    you take it off.

I have switch the exhaust between arrow and mojave, and I did not have to remove the tank just loosen it a little
    to get to the cables. I think you manage without taking off fuel cable :-)
  4. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just realized I haven't posted in this thread for almost a year! Well, anyway, I just wanted to pop in to say that I finally got around to installing the Metal Mule pannier racks I bought from a fellow ADV-Rider here. They'd been sitting in my garage since last February and I got tired of looking at them, so yesterday when the wife suggested I take the bike out for a ride (since it was so nice) I said "no, I think I'll go ahead and install that rack that I've had for so long!"

My prevoius setup was a Renntec rack (chrome) which I had to tweak a little to fit around the exhaust mount (at the time I got mine in 09, Renntec didn't make a rack for the Scrambler. My understanding is that they do now.) Onto that I mounted a cheap JC Whitney top case which has lasted much longer than I expected it to. Then, for my Sturgis trip in '09, I added the Triumph number boards as low-tech "saddlebag guards" and ran an inexpensive set of nylon throwover bags.

[​IMG]

Anyway, first step was to remove my old stuff. The Metal Mule rack and pannier set comes in three pieces, the rear rack and the two side racks.

[​IMG]

In addition to removing the seat, you also have to remove the rear fender (or as they say in England, "Mudguard.") I had never done this before so I had to interrupt the installation process to run down to the hardware store for a T30 Torx bit, since the fender is held in by 4 Torx-head bolts.

The reason the fender has to be removed is that Triumph for some reason put a threaded hole onto the inside of the shock-mounting bracket. This is the forward mounting point for the rack.

[​IMG]

Once those bolts are in, there's a special bracket that goes on top of the rear frame bracket, this attaches both the rear rack and the side racks. The special bracket is the flat piece in the center of the picture.

[​IMG]

After that is hooked up, the rear fender can go back in and then the side racks go on pretty easily. The side racks attach to the upper shock mounting brackets (on the outside) just like the Renntec rack did, and also to the back of the passenger footpeg brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side racks attach on the rear to the special bracket on the frame and also to another "bridging" bracket that connects the two side racks underneath the license plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it's a close fit to the rear turn signals, but once everything is bolted in, nothing touches the rack. It's SOLID!

Top case mounting plate attached easily and then the case went right on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like a very well built item. Too bad it's so hard to get and so expensive in the US.

Now all I need to get are some side cases (no, not going to put the 40mm ammo cans on there - too heavy!) Anybody got any side boxes or pelican cases for sale?
  5. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a big ol set of Happy Trail cases for sale.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852489
    I mounted top loading pelican cases to my racks which I like too.
  6. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Wow, great price but those things look HUGE! I don't think I want cases that are quite that big.

Pelican cases are nice - that may be what I end up with.
  7. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Alright I guess I should have known better but after seeing the prices people are asking for side boxes, the ammo cans are starting to look better and better.

I can get a decent set of Pelican cases (which would be about the size I need) for around $180 each.

Or a set of 20mm ammo cans (similar in size, although heavier) for ....

,,,$18 each? :eek1

quite a difference.
  8. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.

And i think for about $5 you could get some old tin from a chicken coup. :rofl
  9. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    Pricier, but ready to mount.

BA Moto Ammo cans
    http://www.ba-moto.com/store/product/ammo-boxes-brackets
    [​IMG]

These were $50 bucks at an army surplus. Not counting rack costs.
    [​IMG]

I just sold these ebay cases off my bonnie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are my pelicans on my vstrom.
    [​IMG]

There's lots of cool options. Deciding is half the fun.
  10. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm digging the Wyoming Cowboy logo (Go Pokes!) (UW Law class of '05)

True. I've already found what I think is a local source for the cans. It will actually be a fun project figuring out how to put them on the rack and lock them. up.

And then, of course, the stickers...:D
  11. fotopat

fotopat Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer:
    I've been looking around for luggage options for my 2013 Scrambler and am not entirely satisfied with the limited options available. The Metal Mules look great but cost a fortune and I'm not sure if I really want hard bags. If I did, I'd probably go with Solobox Panniers out of Bellingham, WA. It occurred to me I should have kept the Dirt Bagz from my KLR650! Anyway, I called the guys at:

Moto-Sport Panniers Inc
    5405 W. 56th Ave., Suite A
    Arvada, Colorado 80002 USA
    (303) 456-4684

who make the Dirt Bagz and they said it's possible, they might come out with something come spring. Perhaps if more folks are interested, they might step up and make some for us. Check them out here: Dirt Bagz

and if they look like something you'd be interested in, give them a call.
  12. wildjester

wildjester Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi... I am the actual owner of this Scrambler.
    These 50 cal cans cost me $16 at my local Army Surplus store.
    The mount was sourced from www.newbonneville.com
  13. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still fancy the Balance a bag behind the back give.

[​IMG]
  14. scramblase

scramblase ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer:
    Ebay (and a bit of patience) can work wonders. Don't think I crested the $100 mark for all 3. :clap

[​IMG]
  15. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    Ha! Small Internet!
  16. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Love those pipes :clap
  17. b0rderman

b0rderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious. I'm thinking about getting a scrambler after I sell my KLR. Does anyone sell a rear rack that I can attach a topcase to, and still retain the passenger seat? I see the Metal Mule in the post above, but that company is in the UK. I'm not sure about shipping.
  19. goodcat8

Oddometer:
  20. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    Hepco & Becker do a rack for the scrambler. Good range of topcases too.

[​IMG]