User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #31
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,588
Diston.

Isn't "motorcycle investment" an oxymoron?
For me it's not about resale value.
You find somthing you like stick with it and continuously improve it.
Dollar cost average amortised over 30 years makes a sound expenditute plan compared to replacement.

I agree with you the line has to be drawn somewhere.
For you it may be as clear as a road marking, for me it looks more like a wheelmark in the sand.

P.S. think about the patern and open triangles you will produce by removing every 3rd or 4th spoke on a 40 spoke pattern.
Then think about reducing the diameter of the spoke, increasing the tesnsion and retaining all 40.
The weight savings are similar the retained strength is better.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #32
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,402
Just throwing ideas out there. I don't think removing spokes is all that good an idea but I thought it worth consideration. Thinner spokes does make more sense and made of an alloy that's lighter. Somebody else said a thinner wheel. And I don't think we've covered drilling the wheel hubs, which is often done.

I too have only three times more money in my bike than it is worth. I think it's going above and beyond to invest another three thousand dollars.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Pearls before swine? Most people would ride a HD Road King the same way they ride their airhead but not all of us.

Reducing unsprung weight? It's THE place to start if a lighter bike is what you are after. Personally, I hate weight.

I don't have much experience with reducing non-rotating unsprung weight. Spinning unsprung weight? Not so much in the rear but in the front I can feel my forks working differently just from going to a 100/90 front tire versus a 90/90. Just ounces out at the end of that rim make a big difference. A pound or two difference in wheel weight is very noticeable at any speed in any situation. The turn in is quicker, quicker acceleration, better braking, better suspension. All very much right in your face very noticeable IMO. IMO, especially the acceleration and braking.

Keeping it stock? Sure, if that's what makes you happy. Your not a sport rider and never ride above the speed limit? A lot of 'road racer' airhead mods won't only make an airhead 'road race' better, it will make them go straight down the highway at legal speeds better. Straight down the highway at illegal speeds? For instance, WITH traffic? A lot better.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Pearls before swine?.
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces."

From the Sermon on the Mount.
Matthew 7.6 ish I think.

Just in case it was a question and somehow apt considering some of the flack you cop around here.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #35
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces."

From the Sermon on the Mount.
Matthew 7.6 ish I think.

Just in case it was a question and somehow apt considering some of the flack you cop around here.
Cop? Seems to me that some just have to fling it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote