Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Death Dealer, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Death Dealer

Death Dealer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    School me on knife sharpening. What is the best, easiest to use sharpener? Wickededge, Edgepro, Lansky, Sharpmaker, or just a good old set of paper, stones and leather?
  2. jonpcovington

jonpcovington Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lansky- reasonably easy and almost foolproof.
  3. fierostetz

fierostetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's your level of sharpening experience, and how many/often?

When I only had 2-3 knives around, I used a set of DMT stones (continuous surface diamond plate). For sharpening smaller items, I used a lansky. For larger items (hunting knives, etc.) I often use a 1x30" belt grinder and a progression of belts for a convex edge. When I do more kitchen oriented knives, etc. I moved to paper wheels, because I can process knives MUCH faster and more consistently... though I still finish on leather/diamond, then leather/crOx, then leather only. A buffer from harbor freight is about 30 bucks, and a set of paper wheels from woodcraft runs about the same. Again, it really depends on how many knives/how often you want to sharpen. And don't use paper wheels without a firm understanding of how to sharpen a knife, as you can eff up a knife just as quickly as you can sharpen it. For the absolute keenest edges I use DMT coarse, fine, xtrafine, xtraxtrafine, then a 12k grit chinese water stone, then felt +5 micron diamond, then leather 3 micron diamond, 1 micron diamond on leather, then leather .5 micron chromium oxide, then just leather leather - that's how I do my straight razors (if I could do those on the paper wheels I could, but the edges are too thin and burn). I sharpen thousands of knives a year (side job, you could say. More like a hobby that I'm able to keep expense neutral!)
    LewisNClark likes this.
  4. AMCJEEP

AMCJEEP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This
  5. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    can't really recommend a lansky until I know how many knives we're talking about :p if he's got a pile of 100 knives around the house, the lansky's going to have your fingers soooooooore
  6. VTvfr

VTvfr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about the WorkSharp unit?

[​IMG]
  7. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    at that point you're better off just buying a 1x30" belt grinder (like 40 bucks at harbor freight) since 1x30" is a standard belt size.. you can get anything in that size, including plain leather.
  8. Death Dealer

Death Dealer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience, but I have many knives. This is why I am looking at the Wickededge system. Seems completely repeatable but much quicker than a Lansky...
  9. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    In my shop, it's a Craftsman 2x42" grinder up to 1000 grit, then buffed with green chrome oxide on a sewn cotton wheel.

By hand, it's synthetic EDM stones, maybe 1000 grit paper on a soft backing, and a strop. Diamond hones are also used, depends on how much needs taking off to true up a blade.

Whatever you do, learn the difference between removing metal, honing metal, and polishing metal.

Good luck!
  10. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    here's a quick video of sharpening with the paper wheels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIC2Q9_g5o
    I took that the day that I got the paper wheels - I'm much faster now, about 90 seconds per knife. The knife I was sharpening was garbage steel (like chinese 420a or something soft like that) but at the end I was whittling a hair. I sharpened a gerber hatchet and then shaved with it, start to finish, to settle a dare with a friend. Just a thought - you want to make sure you understand edge geometry *very* well first.

Here's me sharpening a cold steel kukri machete (piece of junk as a knife, but invaluable as a yard/camping tool!) with a 1x30" grinder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMIkUW_kjOA

Both setups are 50-70 bucks. Maintenance is almost nil for the wheels, add rouge when its out and regrit the wheel occasionally (after a few hundred sharpenings) vs. buying belts for the 1x30. I still use both; the belt grinder for convex edges, the paper wheels for otherwise. Still use stones too, for kitchen knives (like a slightly toothier edge, the DMT stones don't disappoint on that front).

You should probably check out bladeforums.com for a bit more info, there's a whole section there for maintenance tinkering and embellishment (Thats where the sharpning how-to's are).

As for the levels of sharpness attainable, all three of the above methods yield a hair whittling edge (can slice off pieces of a hair) but only the stones get to pass the hanging hair test (or either of the others, then finish by hand on leather with crox).
  11. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    I love love love using sandpaper on a mousepad (like your second option) because its just SO danged fast! As for your cotton wheel.. have you tried a leather belt for your 2x42? *personally* i get sharper finishes that way, I felt that the cotton wheel was undoing some of my other work...

seriously though, check out a leather belt, I'd never go back! You gotta remember to take the belt off and not leave it under tension, as it will stretch.
  12. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    I use a whetstone and honing oil. Tired several sharpening tools but they don't hold an edge like a good hand sharpened knife will.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NboSIlg5w6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was sharpening lots of knives, I'd get a Tormec & a nice big Forschner or F. Dick steel.

You want to do the initial grinding without overheating the blade, and NOTHING finishes an edge like a steel.
  14. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
  15. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I worked at a knife shop for years for extra money, and learned a lot about sharpening. We sold the Lansky's and they sold well, but its a pretty slow system.

Belt sander, followed by ceramic sticks was the best sharpening system we found. Works great and leaves the working edge at a good angle for durability. '

Don't take the edge too thin or you'll seriously affect how long it will stay sharp.
  16. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    I have a japanese water stone, but I never got the hang of it. In the end I always go back to my Lansky set, which is practically foolproof.
  17. mfd1719

mfd1719 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used a Spyderco Sharpmaker for well over 10 years now. It works very well at making a sharp edge sharper. The ceramics are too fine for neglected edges. For those I use a DMT stone then switch over to the sharpmaker.
  18. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    the dmt stones are great for lapping water stones.
  19. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a WorkSharp (it stores easier than a 1x30 belt grinder) and leather hones with polishing compounds.
  20. fierostetz

Oddometer:
    what's the belt length on the worksharp? I'd like it more if I could use more standard belts... maybe an additional idler pulley to take up the 30" slack :p

love love LOVE trizact belts, but they're not available in a whole lot of sizes.