VW JEtta Sportwagon TDI (diesel)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by 15578, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had that happen, pushed the pedal and nothing happen, even when it works normally there is a lag when taking off from a stop.
    That bugs the crap out of me, probably not an issue with a stick.
  2. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need a south bend for mine too. It sounds like I have the same mods on my 2002 Jetta, except I just cut the muffler off instead of doing a full exhaust. I have a VR6 clutch, wish I would have gone bigger when I changed it.

My MPG never changed with the mods though. I stayed right around 44 for me, 38 when the girlfriend drives. I have no idea what the hell she does to that car. :lol3
  3. 15578

15578 Alea iacta est

Oddometer:
    was reading on a TDI newsgroup that they were pulling 250 hp out of those things :eek1
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    If by helicopter you mean 'hitch-hike' then yes.. I could do that...
  5. DesmoTull

DesmoTull Recovering Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in.

I have a 2009 Sedan, 6 speed. 92k miles.

Only issue i've had is the exhaust gas valve seizing up on me. Was easy enough to fix myself, $300 part. Other than that, smooth sailing!
  6. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    not normal, not safe. bring it in.

um, it's not normal for there to be a lag when taking off from a stop. take it in.
  7. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just informed the actual owner of the DSG problem (he's very generous and I drive it a lot). According to him I thought it was out of warranty but I'm checking on that. I wasn't going to tell him what to buy, and while the DSG is pretty cool the periodic required maintenance would have, I bought it myself, given me pause and if I had my druthers I'd have gone with the 6 speed manual because more than the half of the driving is open usually rural highway. But free riders and free drivers can't be choosy.
  8. PaulGinAZ

PaulGinAZ VW's and Adventure bikes.

Oddometer:

I have a 2011 Golf TDi (six speed manual) that just turned 36,000 miles. Mine has been upgraded quite a bit with a set of H&R springs/Bilstein sport shocks, APR swaybars, GTi brake setup with 12.3" front rotors and upgraded pads and lines and an Audi S3 factory short shift kit.

I also just recently performed the APR Stage I ECU flash that brought the horsepower up to 173 wheel horsepower from 143 and the torque to 297 from 251. These motors like all of the others that VW has released in the past 12 years is under-rated from stock and the transformation is very pleasant and certainly closes the gap between a TDi and a GTi.

My car has been perfect without any hiccups, squeaks or rattles. The only challenge with the Sportwagen is that it is a funny blend of the MkV and Mk6 platform so there are some asthetic things in the interior that I prefer my car for.. but nothing so significant that I would not buy it.
  9. 15578

15578 Alea iacta est

Oddometer:
    You guys can't leave and engine alone ... can't you!!!
    :lol3

Good info!
  10. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Sweet...

I should really look into getting some more power out of mine... but really... I drive like an old man 99% of the time so it prolly isn't worth it...

I'm going to end up with a highway-cruiser and a sportier car I think... but which two... First world problems man... first world problems... :lol3
  12. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:

Nope. Oh, and Bilstien HD Struts with Nuespeed springs and E-Code headlights going in.
  13. Ted.audia

Ted.audia Wandering Aimlessly

Oddometer:
    2012 golf tdi w/41k
    6 manually selected gears

came out of a 3 series so I may be overly critical...

Cons
    • interior feels cheap
    • the seats suck for any distance driving
    • the thing squeaks and rattles bad
    • Stereo sucks
    • Integrated Bluetooth... great idea, poor execution
    • VW Nav cant find addresses that have existed for 40 years
    • Cannot disable the tc/asr to play in the snow
    • The dealers in Indianapolis want to offer the "Premium" experience, but they are as annoying as any other car dealer (ymmv)

Pros
    • 50 psi, weekend backpack and bicycle- 50 mpg all day long @ 65-70 mph
    • Roaming around the state for my job- 42 mpg driving like a yabo
    • Heated seats are awesome in this car
    • Dealer says it can tow 2000 pounds w/200 pound tongue weight... Haven't tested it yet, but curious
    • If you are on any kind of work reimbursement, this car will make you money

Quirks
    • When the re-gen cycle kicks in the first few times, the smell and performance of the car will be a little funny. The fan will continue to run after the car shuts off and the car smells of burning rubber. Nothing to see here friends, but strange none the less.

Overall
    If I were to do it all over again, I'd get the proper wagon because the Golf gets filled up too quickly on weekend trips and such. Also, keep a weather eye on their special financing (if you are into that kind of thing), as they offer 1.9% periodically on TDI

Good Luck
  14. Ted.audia

Ted.audia Wandering Aimlessly

Oddometer:
    not trying to sound like a prick, but re-reading that part sounds a little pretentious... Please let me apologize.

zee germans @ BMW know how to make kick ass cars.
  15. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HPFP failure. Here is a 327 page thread on the issue http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308323
  16. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    that happened to my aunt's as well. vw blamed bad diesel, but the station where the fuel was purchased reported no other issues. before my uncle got involved vw was trying to charge them the $5~7k for the repairs.

they love the car, but they don't trust it.

:dunno
  17. PaulGinAZ

PaulGinAZ VW's and Adventure bikes.

Oddometer:
    The odd thing about those failures is that from a percentage of vehicles sold perspective the HPFP failure is less than 1%. VW has done a good job of paying for the replacements even out of warranty as most failures have proven to be fuel-related.

Some of the Tdi gurus have found a way to put an inline filter on the return line that provides a way to keep the debris from flowing back into the tank and cutting the repair cost down significantly in the case of it happening.

YMMV of course. :deal
  18. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    i've not seen their particular fuel system, but in many cases you have two layers of filtration; one to the pump and one (after the pump) to the engine. if there is debris being returned to the module it's more likely that something is corroding after the module. if it's a turbine pump, it won't tolerate much in the way of contamination and will fail quickly if the filtration is breached.

guess number two - (:lol3) - if there is filtration at the pump only, it's possible the brushes are chunking and ending up in bad places.
  19. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tow a 5X9 trailer with 1-3 bikes on it at times. No problem (even before the mods)
    Drops the MPG a bit. Don't even really know the trailer is there.

Oh, and winter mix fuel drops the MPG a bit also.
    That and the fact that the engine (12 mile drive to work) does not get to prime temps much.
  20. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2012 TDI JSW, 6 speed manual with sunroof and nav at the beginning of summer. I wanted a Golf, but went with a JSW because a) I really like the huge panoramic sunroof, and b) it's got a lot of extra storage on the same wheelbase, i.e. you don't give up much in handling. VW claims the JSW has 66.9 cubic feet of storage with the rear seat folded, vs. 64 cubic feet in a Touareg with the rear seat folded (and 57.4 in an E class wagon). I believe it, I had the rear seats down for the first time on Thursday and used it to move furniture; it's spacious (getting the rear headrests off takes a screwdriver and two people per the manual, though, which is stupid). I get around 38 mpg on average in a heavy urban freeway commute, and around 43-45 in highway driving; it's only got 2200 miles, so it'll improve with break-in. I wish it were a bit bigger on the inside, but that's another way of saying I either need to lose weight or swap it for a Passat.

The build quality and interior materials are excellent for the price point. I agree that the sound system is less than optimal, but I'm spoiled in other cars; the one thing that pushed me toward the Golf was the Dynaudio option. I don't use the nav much - nav without traffic in LA is useless, I use Google maps on the iPhone - and I'm happy enough with the bluetooth. It's not a BMW or an MB, but it's a lot of car for the money. If I still have it a year from now, I'll get a discounted extended warranty from Chris Farnham; with the HPFP issues, this is a car I don't want to own out of warranty. All that said, if, God forbid, I ever had to live with just one car, this would probably be it.