Travels with jdrocks-the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdrocks, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    since when do ya have time to practice fried pie? aren't you supposed to be riding back and forth to Maryland.

as long as you're foolin' around with dough, make up some pasties, the retro northern Minnesota/UP kind, not the newer style filled with mush. i've always thought that those would be good for a backroads trip lunch, warmed up over a small campfire. when i was a kid, knee high to a short frog, we were always given a pastie or big potato wrapped in tinfoil before being shoved out the door for the day, not expected home before dinner. we needed a fire, so yeah, we were given a supply of kitchen matches too.
  2. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jd - when I worked the Alberta "oilpatch" (MANY years back...), we would make what we called 'jungle-lunch' - a can of stew placed on the top of the engine about 11:00AM, so it'd be toasty by noon, and you got something warm into your gut. Those little 'thingies' would probably fit between the bumps on the cam-covers on the V and Ninja engines....:wink:
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

that idea has been around, but you have to know that these guys i'm riding with have turned into gourmets and Starbucks aficionadoes, and they won't eat anything from a can anymore, although they still consume a beverage from a can, figure that out.

heck, the biker dude is home in the kitchen fine tuning his fried pie right now, see what i mean.
  4. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR jdrocks. Always interesting. Hey, Biker128pedal making us some fried pies. I love fried pies!
  5. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    So I'm supposed to be working. :huh No pie fer you. :1drink
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks, now for 2013.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hmmmm, the truth comes out at last.
  8. biker128pedal

Oddometer:

The truth did come out. And Peach filled Bear Scat Fried Pies are better than theyu look. :wink:
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    well, i've seen lots of evidence of bears eating blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and chokecherries...i'll have to take your word on them peaches.
  10. fasteddiecopeman

Oddometer:
    I gotta agree with jd - REAL bears do NOT live where peaches grow.... :evil
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    eddie, you're just used to those bears up in Alberta and BC where ya have to watch where ya step anytime you walk in the woods. the peach eater bears the Biker claims are running around down here in the Mid Atlanta must be a very smart and stealthy sub specie of bear, after all, one sneaked into the Biker's kitchen.
  12. fasteddiecopeman

Oddometer:
    Dave - would you kindly take a pic of the foot-peg brackets you made up, both sides? (I've read ALL your builds before, and I don't think I've got enough years left in me to read 'em ALL again....)

:1drink
  13. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to the BRP for the first time this weekend. Meeting my Dad out there. We are staying in Fancy Gap, VA. I'll be riding a DR350 and he will be on his Speed Triple. Any good foody stops in that area?
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Out riding...I'll PM when I get back.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Ask in southeast regional for the best info.
  16. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Corrected. We are East. Hey Dave have you found any fried pies? I need time for a pie run. :D

If you are up farther in Roanoke there is a very nice Brazilian restaurant called Carlos Brazilian. Pricy but very good. Big one of those bad meat on a stick places.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks for the correction, i hate posting from a freakin' phone. hope that inmate got the info he was looking for.

not in Roanoke, but back on the Border...

[​IMG]

water high and fast, washed out roads. ya know it's gettin' deep when the bow wave washes over the bars and the motor gets real quiet...'cause it's running underwater.

(photo courtesy of WayneJ, way faster than i am, but at least i kept him in sight. the water was higher and faster the next day, and Wayne went down while crossing one of these)
  18. fasteddiecopeman

Oddometer:
    Back when I 'raced' enduros, one enduro decided to hold a "...let's see who can ride the DEEPEST ..." in a creek, so one of the 'brain-surgeons' decided to mount a snorkel to the aircleaner of his bike, and run it up UNDER his riding jersey so the air-inlet was at the rear of his helmet, figuring he could ride in 4 or 5 FEET and win the... whatever...! :huh

You can PROBABLY picture it - he rode in, deeper, DEEPER, then his whole bike was underwater STILL moving.... :evil

He must've 'washed-out' (GOOD choice of words?), because all-of-a-sudden he went over sideways plunging HIM totally under water, because, OF COURSE his snorkel attached him physically to the motorcycle.... :shog

A few of us dove in and rescued him, but....
    :bueller
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'm always in preservation mode, both body and bike, so those crossings spook me a little. can't see the bottom, you know the flow is going to push ya off your line, and you have to carry speed and momentum. when you do get across, whew, on to the next one.
  20. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They just tranqed a black bear in Delran, NJ last week, ONLY 3-400 lbs, but a bear nonetheless, and we grow some damn fine peaches here in S. Jersey!

Unlike them NASTY store bought ones, ours run all over ya when ya bite 'em. DAMN, now I want pie too!!

Just wonderin' JDR, how big are you, I'm 6'1"/ 240, do you think a Versys can handle my big ass?:rofl:rofl[

QUOTE=fasteddiecopeman;20771966]I gotta agree with jd - REAL bears do NOT live where peaches grow.... :evil[/QUOTE]