NEOhio ADV & TAG!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by SlipChip, Sep 11, 2007.

1. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    So negative... I'll check back later... Happy thoughts. Think happy thoughts.
  2. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Just Monkeying Around

Oddometer:
    Louisville, Ohio/South Carolina in the winter
    That's what they make 12" lift kits and 44" tire for, Fuck the snow removal, and 400 to 500 HP under the hood helps too.

Oops, forgot our governing body felt we couldn't be trusted with that combination, and outlawed it. Was a sure fire way out of the ditch, but we didn't have the friggin cell phones back then.

But I've been out of this snow thing for 10 years, so what do I know.

Dave
  3. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    He had already made the trench before I arrived home, and had gotten to the point he wasn't moving forward or backward at all, the photo of the trench is decieving, the length of the trench he dug was completely covered with snow within a half hour. I went inside to tell my wife to call the sherriff, she told me he had been spinning in the same spot for 20 minutes, and thats when i walked out to tell him to stop, as I knew it would take some traffic control to even get a towtruck in there.. when I walked back out to tell him to stop, he was still sitting and spinning, but said he had a tow on the way. That's when I took the pictures. Had I been there when he first fell in, I would have tried to tug him out with a strap, but by the time I arrived, he was too far gone. I have pulled 3 cars from that ditch last winter, he was completely high centered, my truck would never have gotten him out the way he was straddled. The towtruck had to reposition 4 times, to winch him out, luckily a Deputy I know showed up to controll traffic for the winch. Sorry to be soo critical of his neglegence, but he along with the last 3 ditch dwellers were more concerned with using a cellphone than negotiating dangerous road conditions. My neighbors and I have tried to help these people, and have sucessfully extracted them, but this one was stuck tight.
  4. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    We live in a very rural area and I was raised on a farm with the closest neighbor 2 and half miles away, you develop a different mind set, I would never call the cops or charge some one to get them unstuck, and I always have the equipment to do it with. Yea the guy may have made a mistake and ended up in your front yard, big deal, you never Fucked up? Get em a break and be decent about it.

Just plain old country folk.

Dave
  5. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    MOB - sorry - I read too much into your previous posts. I had a mental image of you sitting inside, sipping your bourbon, watching him dig his own hole for 20 minutes before going out to tell him he was an idiot.
  6. BigArn

BigArn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he was decent about it.
    There was no yelling.
    And he did contact the sheriff who eventually helped with traffic so the guy could get it towed out.
    Look at that ditch, no one man is going to push that out.
  7. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    Could you imagine how dull this world would be without idiots.

Dave
  8. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that. I happen to have a spare samurai, a lead on a 400 BBC, and spoa kits with yj conversions can make a set of 40" tires fit. More if I go coil over. Or a 4" body lift is available.

A 302 with good heads and a mild cam should pump out 400 hp. More on a 350, but slower revs.
  9. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    Big Arn( Mark) just seems we have heard way to much about it I guess, to me it would of been no big deal and shit happens. Get the guy out and go about your life.

Dave
  10. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    I understand, thank you. And no, I didn't sit and watch him, he had already dug in.
    I didn't call the cops on him either, traffic was at a standstill, and my call to the Deputy was to assist the towtruck to the scene, and stop traffic, to give space for the extraction. It took almost a half hour for the tow guy to make his way the last half mile because people couldn't move. Just a bad scene.
  11. BigArn

BigArn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    A couple of years ago there was a couple of ladies who had a flat tire right outside my house. They didn't have a clue. I wheeled out my car lift and had them on their way in 10 minutes. But if they where stuck in a ditch I would of offered to call a tow, this old guy's pushing days are over :evil
  12. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    You know where the torch and welders are, go for it. But it won't be as awesome as the 76 Hi Roller with the 429 Cobra Jet in it that you tried to drive off with when you were 2 years old, I should have known then you were a gearhead.

Dave
  13. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    Yep Mark, my pushing and shoving days are limited too, that why I still got a 4x4 truck, a tractor and if the roads dry a class 8 truck, and all the chains and straps to do the job, I'll get you out that's for sure.

Dave
  14. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    There's a guy in Paris with a 12v92 also. Set to 1200hp factory. Apparently they drink 8oz of fuel per hour per hp.

Once I finish the Kubota swap in the tin top, I'll hammer that one into something fun.
  15. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    I took this time exposure late last night, after the snow slacked off a bit, it was totally dark out, but the digital cam can do some amazing stuff...

Peace.

[​IMG]
  16. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    Don't bite off more then you can chew, that Gimmy will need a hefty chassis, a lot more then those rice grinders can take.

Dave
  17. BigArn

BigArn Long timer

Oddometer:
    8 ounces an hour, try 11.2 gallons per second!!! :evil

Ever wonder why a Top Fuel dragster gets a rebuilt engine after each run?<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    * One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black, etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at NASCAR's Daytona 500.<o:p></o:p>
    * Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.<o:p></o:p>
    * A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to even drive the dragster's supercharger.<o:p></o:p>
    * With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lockup at full throttle.<o:p></o:p>
    * At the stoichio metric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.<o:p></o:p>
    * Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.<o:p></o:p>
    * Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. Which is typically the output of a small electric arc welder in each cylinder.<o:p></o:p>
    * Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way thru the run, the engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.<o:p></o:p>
    * If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with enough force to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half !!<o:p></o:p>
    * Dragsters reach over 300 MPH +... before you have completed reading this sentence.<o:p></o:p>
    * In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, a dragster must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before reaching half-track, at launch the acceleration approaches 8 G's.<o:p></o:p>
    * Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!<o:p></o:p>
    * Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.<o:p></o:p>
    * The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.<o:p></o:p>
    * THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the pit crew is working for free, & NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run will cost an estimated $1,000 per second.<o:p></o:p>
    0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)<o:p></o:p>
    0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)<o:p></o:p>
    6 G-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)<o:p></o:p>
    6 negative G-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300 MPH<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth ... quicker than a jet fighter plane ... quicker than the space shuttle ... or snapping your fingers!<o:p></o:p>
    The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.42 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). (I think the time is now closer to 4 seconds.)<o:p></o:p>
    The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Let's now put this all into perspective:

Imagine this: You're driving a new $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z-06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to 'launch' down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard, on up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that exact moment. The dragster departs & starts after you. You keep your foot buried hard to the floor, and suddenly you hear an incredibly brutally screaming whine that sears and pummels your eardrums & within a mere 3 seconds the dragster effortlessly catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it – from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH. And it not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the planet when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!<o:p></o:p>
    That, my friends is acceleration.<o:p></o:p>
  18. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need for that - a little talent and a decent set of winter tires and you never go in the ditch in the first place unless you are being really stupid.

When I was in highschool I had a fun little evening in the snow with my VW GTI. (by fun, I mena really stupid) We had a level something snow ban in effect where only emergency vehicles were supposed to be on the road. I took that as my cue to take the GTI on its 175/70-13 snows out to play. With nonody on the road, it was a blast. I found one road with 2 - 3 ' drifts on it. If you got up to 50 or 60 MPH, the car would become a sled and you'd be back down under 30 by the time the wheels touched the tarmac again. This was a great game until I did tried it in a place with a fair bit of crown. I sledded right into the ditch and came to a gentle stop with the car packed in snow on the passenger side. (Thanks to the snow, there was no body damage) I couldn't drive forward or backward, but I found that if I cut the wheel all the way to the right and tried to back up, I could get some bite on the edge of the ditch. With the addition of the parking brake and a little left foot braking to serve as a poor man's limited slip, I was able to pop the front end back onto the road. From there, I grabbed first and released the parking brake and we were back in business. Having learned very little from this, I headed for the industrial park where I found even bigger drifts, but no ditches. I got up to about 70 before hitting a particularly large drift that I couldn't see over. As I slid to a complete stop, I found out that it was every bit of 4' deep in the middle and about 100' long. I knew how deep it was because I was standing there with the rocker panels slightly above my knees digging snow away from my car, trying to make room so I could start digging the snow out from under my car. About 1.5 hours into this exercise with a clear path behind me and only a few inches left between my tires and pavement, A plow driver pulls up shaking his head. A couple pulls with the tow strap and I was back on my way. Ah, the days before cell phones when you could just say you'd been out driving and your parents would never know the truth.
  19. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Yeah I kind of figured the torque alone was well over their stock 66hp/70 ft-lbs. She might not last long.
  20. Trapshooter

Oddometer:
    Mark, in 1969 and 70 I was running a AA/Gas blown car that was capable of 10 sec. and thought I really had something, now I got a bike that if you put the right rider on can go the 10 sec. my B-King. But I would love to give that top Fuel bad bay a try.

Dave