I Wanna Turn a Sport Bike Into a "Tourer"...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by stripple, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    If I could email U my pic I can show U a B King Sport Tourer.
  2. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

PURDY!:eek1 The bottom one looks like a 04-06 or so. The top one looks newer. Any idea what year the top one is? I think it's time to start reading about the gixxer. It's always been a bike that has missed my radar, I think that's over now.:evil
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    So how is it a 38 year old fitness instructer has a bad back?
  4. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Haha.:D

Well, I am a fitness instructor, but more specifically a Martial Arts instructor. One that has trained hard for a long time...

I love what I do, and I have trained in a very "spirited" manner at certain times in my life.

I would say that I'm in pretty good shape physically, but the years have taken their toll and there's a hitch in my giddyup these days. There are many specific instances and injuries that I won't bore you with, this line of work isn't known for being easy on the body.:rofl
  5. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    These days I think back to when I opened my first school, and I rember my uncles who worked hard physically their whole lives telling me that doing this for a living would bust up my body in the future...:D

I didn't want to hear a bit of it back then.:lol3 that was never going to happen to ME!:D

I love what I do so very much. But I sure can hear their wisdom now...:ear
    FJ Fun likes this.
  6. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Some of you guys aren't listening. He said sport bike.

Fuckin Lou has a ZX-10 with a Scotts Damper and a set of motocross bars on it. If you ask him, its the fastest, most universal, most adaptable and comfortable bike there is. And he lives down a dirt road, and no issues going up or down it. I would agree that its a pretty bitchin' hoon bike.. You can get your FZ1, but this has 50 more HP and weighs 100lbs less. The numbers really look good on this one.
  7. strommer

strommer Ride for balance

Oddometer:
    Another poster said this and I agree: Get the B-King.

It is not light but is not a barge at all. I read in a German bike mag (did not ride it myself) that it is far far more flickable than one would expect. I think they called it nimble. I think they also said it was a torque monster. Twist throttle in any gear and hold on for dear life.

It is a naked Busa. So I suppose you can call it a sports bike (?). Not a liter bike though. It is not pretty but I belive the Busa is uglier.

The rear of the B-King is a little out of proportion to the rest of the bike but that can be modified a bit with a new exhaust.

And sitting on a B-King, you don't see the rear anyway.

I know all this because I almost got one. I did take a look at one in the shop. Sat on it, it was comfortable.

I ended up with an 09 Speed Triple. Mainly because it is lighter. And sounds better. And looks better.

Good luck with the quest and I hope you enjoy whatever you get.
  8. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:

He never said it was economic :deal
  9. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I turned my hayabusa into a sport-tourer. Upped the bars,givi touring windscreen, heated grips and full hard luggage. All day comfort and ridiculously fun. And if you can handle some arm pump and lactic acid buildup in your legs,flickable enough in the twisties....LOL.....for a chubby chick anyway. Hey, I have left my fair share of road warriors in the dust in the twisties!

Anyway,you can also do a peg swap with buell pegs for more leg room.
  10. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Busa,ZX14,XX etc are sportstourers in europe :-D
    But he wants a RR bike to tour with, and thats is no problem. The only thing i am dont get is that he wants a upright seating position and even on a Busa and VFR you need more then bar raisers and peg lowers to get that. If i understand correctly he wants a GSXR1000 with the seatinig position of a FZ1?
    To me that sounds like Aprilia Tuno V4R, 160 somthing HP smal faring and uprightish position.
  11. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    That's such a stupid argument. You could say an XR100 loses most of it's weight above 5mph.

Stripple:

The '05 and up GSXR1000's have a siginificantly shorter reach to the bars, with Helibars and a lower peg bracket, corbin seat and some hard bags you'd have a really badass race rep-touring bike emphasis on race replica. Mid-range out the wazoo and handling is sublime. You could do all that for around your budget too.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3714949193.html
  12. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    So there's a fella on here named Fuckin Lou? :lol3

Where you at Lou? We need to see pics of this machine!!

I really like the ZX10R. It feels the smallest and seems like the "craziest" of the litre bike bunch. I like crazy.:evil
  13. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Colorado Rider- Thanks for the suggestion. That is a big part of what I've been looking for. I figured that there had to be some years of the different litre bikes that had a shorter reach to the bars than others. I was trying to figure out what years, and models in particular could work best.

I've been out of it for so long, and so many models have come out that I havent seen or familiarized myself with.
  14. lmyamen

lmyamen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did not read through every page but I just purchased an 03 Z1000 for the same purpose you are looking for. I am doing a 2,000 mile trip on it in September and in the month I have owned it I have already put 1,200 miles on it. Has the power you want and it is comfortable and can be had very inexpensively all day long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Was the 929 the fastest thing you've ridden? If you jump on a ZX10 be prepared to shit your plants. I rode one and it made my XX and old 929 feel like a scooter. Make sure you really need that much bike first.
  16. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one really needs that much power, but motorcycle isent about needs, its about lust and passion:clap
  17. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you taken this excellent advice and played around with this calculator? When I go with the 2005 GSXR1k using a 6'0 rider w/ 32" inseam, to get 19 degrees of lean which is where a stock Kaw Z1000 is you will need 5" of handlebar rise and 3" further back. You may get close with Convertibars or a handlebar conversion kit with a larger handlebar, but a Genmar or Helibar setup isn't going to do shit for what you are looking for.
    Or, you could just buy a Z1000.
  18. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

Thanks Duke, I'm checking it out right now.
  19. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    I guess I would say that it is the fastest thing that I've been on, unless I'm forgetting some others. I like that "shit your pants feel", without actually shitting your pants for real of course.:lol3

If I buy a ZX10R, I'll see if they'll throw in some brown leathers...:rofl
  20. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like Convertibars has a confirmed installation on an '05 GSXR1k, will give 4" rise and 2" back with intact fairing
    https://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/Suzuki-GSX-R1000-05-06-Bike-Specific-Kit_p_212.html
    The LSL handlebar conversion kit shows the same Suzuki with it's fairing removed and notes that fairing modification is required.
    Looks like the only option for the GSXR is Convertibars, they will be within a couple inches of a stock Z1000. I'd go sit on a bike with a 23 degree or so lean and see if that's enough, if you would still need further lift I'd scrap the whole idea and buy one of the naked bikes suggested in this thread - with those you can replace with a $50 handlebar to get any position you want.