taking on BAJA with 7 hp!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by damasovi, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This Givi Top Case works well on my Honda NH125.

Raja

Attached Files:

2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey Raja!!!

nice to see you around here. I think you are the same one as on the other forum. What happend to your KLR?

Anyway, I am a long way from the Baja trip on the scooter, hey even on the KLR but on the bigger bike my wife would worry a lot less.

Nice to talk to you.

Damasovi
  3. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As for the 08 Blue KLR, well, in preparation for Baja/Barranca Del Cobre trip in July 2010, I was test riding the bike fully laden with aluminum panniers out near Western Kern County. I was riding way too fast on a dirt road when I crashed. The next thing I knew, I was in the hospital getting surgery. (Apparently I was air lifted via Helicopter to KMC in Bakersfield) (I can't even remember the $55,000 flight!)

Bike was a total loss. I have been forbidden by my family from motos grandes, so I am back to scooters.

Been riding Vespa since high school in 1985!
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I like this scooter a lot, but if my wife takes over it, I could always buy another one the same or an Elite 125.

I bought this one with the same mentality as my first motorcycle, something nice, something not expensive, a Japanese (hondas both) so if I did not like the experience of ownership then I would not loose a lot of money.
    TheI scooter was the same thing except that I had already several years of experience on 2 wheels (no like when I bought my 125 cc DP bike that I had 0). So the next step will be something with more cc, so maybe a 200-300 cc? there are several options from Vespa, Kymco and Piaggio that I like, maybe even a maxi scooter Burgaman or Magesty.... but that is still very far away, I want to use this one and then when the time comes and money is not like now I would do it.

Damasovi
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well this time I think I over did it!!!

I had a top box made for the BEAT,, a 35-37 liter box! on a GS/KLR or any bike that sizes it looks great on my little beat it looks BIGG so here are the pics

3/4 front view
    [​IMG]

side view
    [​IMG]

and rear view
    [​IMG]

I don't even notice the case when I am ridding, and like with anything scooter related, I have gotten some comments I don't like, some are funny such as "were are the tamales?" and "ok we have a BIG cooler!, go get the beer!"

Yes I think it is bigger than I need, but I wanted a case to hold my helmet, so this the size that I need it, but maybe a givi would have been better, but what the hell right?!

So I went on a 20 mile ride the other day and I was like so far "away from home" thinking I was on my cross country trip, nothing but the sounds of the waves, surfers, the sun and keeping and eye out for Suv's and 18 wheelers that don't like 45 mph scooters on the 35 mph hwy! (yes I was speeding!!!) Still it was like so coool!!

Damasovi
  6. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Box, it looks very "ADV" !!! It is much better than a Givi or a Vespa Correos Box. How much did it cost you in MXN or USD? I want one for my Vespa PX.

Attached Files:

7. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok I have to agree, it looks better, I am thinking of putting a sign that read "Tacos, tameles and tortas" on the back! lol!!! just to keep up with comments from other people.

The box was done by a friend welder, and he charge me $130 usd dolars but he gave me a discount at the end.It is mounted on the plate I had for the KLR, but you do not need it as the bike has a nice rack. The dimentions are 35 or 37 liters, 17x14x12 something like that. My HJC flip up size M fits either horizantal or vertical, and there is plenty of space left.

Are you interested in one?

Damasovi
  8. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in an Aluminum 60L Top case for my Vespa PX.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    No top box is complete without an ADV sticker on it!

[​IMG]

That ADV sticker will make your scooter much more off road capable:rofl
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is exactly what I was thinking!! were do I buy them stickers? I know it is here in this forum but were is the link?
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
  13. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    funny how they can sell that for 430 usd in mexico and be making a profit, but here in the uk its price is equivelant to more than 1600 usd
  14. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is actually $1430 on sale, with a $400 discount, and I guess that lower taxes and cheaper labor (this bike is made in Mexico) will do it.

Damasovi
  15. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ah i understand now i thought you meant that 430 usd was the price of the scooter, but actually you meant it was reduced by 430 usd

if you are interested to know, you can get those scooters here in the uk but they are called honda lead
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well after several days of wanting to go for a ride I finally went of the "official south testing route" it is a 50 mile round trip from Ensenada to La bufadora.

[​IMG]

the day was a little gray and fresh and it had rain so why not? so I went. First I hat to get my Beat from my parents house,
    [​IMG]

and then we went south taking hwy #1, do you know why it is call that way? Because it is the ONLY one! yes hwy comes from Tijuana and it ends in Cabo San Lucas (at the other end of the Peninsula, some 1,000 + miles south).

The scooter feels nice and lite at a constant 40-45 mph. I was shooting for La Bufadora but before I got there I saw a sign that read "La lobera 3 km" so lobo = wolf so lobera would be translate as the place of wolfs, so I said there is no way we have 4 legged wolfs here, so I guess there are talking about sea wolfs!!! lets go!!!

[​IMG]

The road is actually close, but the gate has like 3 ft to right of dirt and you can easy ride there on a bike-scooter-bicycle. You will be face with 2 miles of these:

[​IMG]

and you will have to turn around but yo get these views:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to go down there, maybe next time on the KLR
    [​IMG]

local fishing:
    [​IMG]

for this pic I wished I had my D-SLR the one 2 hours before I said "I don't need it" It is a bird pray (hawk like)
    [​IMG]

I was so happy to see it fly, and I did miss the shoot with my point and shoot, but I did gave thanks to the animal gods for letting me see it in the wild! they are so pretty!!!

Lets go to la bufadora!!
    We made it!!!
    [​IMG]
  17. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have never been to La bufadora, on a good day this is what you will see:

[​IMG]

during my college years I was a tour guide so I went here like 40 times during 1 summer, and if you ever come I will take you there, so I did not wanted to go all the way there, so the entrance to the flee market was enough. One sad thing, it was too early for anything to be open, so I had to wait for breakfast, so I started the drive back and found this sign that remains me of something, don't know what:

[​IMG]

I ate looking at this:
    [​IMG]

it was a fine Saturday! I love my Beat!!:norton:freaky

Damasovi
  18. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, its really nice out there

Man, I sure wouldn't mind a ride out there! Maybe I'll come out there some time!
  19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    any time!! you are close enough to come and ride here!!

I will keep cerveza fria just for u!

Damasovi
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You've got some great riding and scenery around there.

Your scooter should be able to handle dirt roads like those.:ricky