Intercontinental Rally??

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jbone11 11, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking around for info on the Atlas Rally and came across this: http://www.intercontinentalrally.com
    Seems pretty much like the Dakar only its still in Africa....Am I missing something here? Why did they move the Dakar if Rallies are still able to operate in Africa?

But more to the point, has anyone heard of this Rally, let alone rode it?
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A rally like the Dakar is a media circus and as such becomes a target for terrorists wishing to make a statement.

Rallies like the Intercontinental and the Sonagol Eco rally ( http://www.africarace.com/en/ ) are way, way smaller in scale and thus don't attract the media that terrorists seek out.

Many folks on the forum have ridden in one or another of these rallies. Eurosport covered the Eco rally this year, there are some cool videos from it :nod
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I think the Intercontinental is right up my street. Spotted lots of 950/990's in that video on the homepage:evil I'll check out the Eco as well.
  4. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice storry. You only ride on GPS? Waypoints or track?
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scheiße! ... mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut....but I will try:D

Nice bike BTW! How did you organise logistics for getting to the rally start and back home again?
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would also be curious as to what the total cost is for doing the rally....after going through what is included in the registration fees, it is clear there are added costs such as Insurance, visas, rally licensing...and then there's the obvious stuff like fuel, food, travel costs etc etc.

Not looking for a definitive listing...just an idea....these videos are getting me rev'd up!:evil:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKL3VFAwjy8
  8. jdemeritt

jdemeritt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I'm also curious, doubt I could do it in the next few years even, but anyone have a real rough idea what kind of money youre looking at?
  9. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in a team with 11 riders and 2 trucks. One service truck and one race truck who picked up everybody from us who was broken during the stages. 6 guys for service include one German cook.

You need to transport your bike to almeria and back home from Dakar or when you have broken. You definitly need a service who is carrying your boxes. The orga won't do that.

I think you will need with starting money, flight to Almeria, back from Dakar, insurance, visa and some stuff around 6000 EUR (include starting fee of the orga!). Price without preparation of your bike.

You just will get waypoints and you can made a track in the evening. No roadbook is needed.
  10. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schön! ....thanks Meucke, this gives me a good idea of what to aim for:thumb
  11. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the spares you will need, tyres, Bearings, and so on.
    I'm currently prepping for the Hellas in 2 weeks and the bill for the 'Extras' is almost the same as Service, Starting Fee, and Transport back and forth.

cu
    Stefan
  12. laufer

laufer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Muecke and all of you!!! :clap:clap:clap
    I also was this year at the intercontinental rally ;)

Its a great race, great ridding, the org did very good. Its an amateur rally but its little bit demanding, full of experienced riders and fast machines. Large +5000kms, it only finished something like 40% of people. An amazing experience all together.

I'm also in the IR2015 inscribed, again I will race with Aventura Touareg Team.
    For this 2015 edition there will be 4 stages in mauritania ;)

Un saludo a todos!
  13. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer: