Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I've done the superman into Perry slop a few times myself. Always fun wrestling a bike out of that poo.

:lol3
  2. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    My bike after a VERY similar Perry mud hole incident. Excuse my buddy, he's looking especially "special" in this one. :lol3

[​IMG]
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Damn Ron, that looks like it was a lot of work to dig out!
  4. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, brought back memories. The worst part is your feet get in there and instead lifting the bike up, it just pushes you down.

I did a similar thing at Perry riding alone in a somewhat mild looking rut, just buried the fuck out of my front end....got to put to use something I'd read about but never tried - making a lever out of a tow strap. Tie off to the bike, tie on a big branch or stick about 1' up the branch from the ground. Grab the top of the branch and push it tight then "lever" the top of the branch away from the stuck bike...taking little bites until the bike's free.

It worked great, just took a while. Hell of a lot easier than getting in there and wrestling with it, but I was lucky there was a suitable piece of wood laying there. In the equipment forum there's a link to a small come-along that's packable for doing the same thing, I might actually invest in that for solo adventures.
  5. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I'm healed! For the most part. Actually rode the GS from Toby's to my garage a kickass 4 miles. I was sweating like a bitch thinking about it but it was good. It was my first ride since the accident. The other bike, the one I wrecked, I started to take some of the plastic off. Probably going to sell it.

Thinking about going to dox on Saturday evening if I don't pull a goonie :flip Not an overnight but a beer or two. You?
  6. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:

Good news, Goonie. :thumb
  7. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, like Swing said, the hardest part is you can't get next to the bike. Stepping anywhere in the mud and my boot was buried instantly.

I did laugh pretty hard when I got up off the ground, looked back, and saw my WR standing straight up.:lol3

Then I tried to move it and I was like :huh.
  8. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear the recovery is going well Goonie!! :thumb
  9. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Goonie. I plan on riding down Saturday evening. :freaky
  10. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    I saw that too. I like it... Looks nice and compact.

http://www.adventureengineering.com/ae/ezpull_index.cfm
  11. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
  12. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of you are going to the over nighter but I'm planning to get out of town if anyone is interested in riding around the Allegheny National Forest. I'll be riding up and back but a friend may be driving up with his 410.

Send pm
  13. dragoon

Oddometer:
    That might seal the deal :thumb
  14. r-3350

r-3350 A.K.A. Carl

Oddometer:
    IT is 6:30 am and I am about to leave on the FJR for practice day at the Indy Moto GP. Weather forecast is excellant for the entire weekend. Carl
  15. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:
    Working moto gp this weekend and I have a spare GA pass for the weekend if someone wants it
    Email me Notremonde@aol.com
  16. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    As some of you know, I managed to roach the cam and rocker arms on my XR a while back. Well, last week on ebay I came across a good used head, rocker cover with rockers, and cam (basically the whole top end) for $180. So I pulled the trigger and bought it. It came yesterday and this morning I set about putting the engine back together. Of course, first the old head had to come off. Thats when I discovered this:

[​IMG]

I texted this picture to Steve (BigOhio) who is apparently a master of understatement. He replied "I'm no mechanic, but I think you might have compression problems with that." :rofl Anyway, looks like a complete rebuild is in my future.

meanwhile, here's some crappy pics of the rest of the damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks like there'll be no dirt/trail riding anytime soon for me :cry
  17. jitterymonkey

jitterymonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear/see that.:cry
    Any idea what caused it? Maybe oil starvation?
  18. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May as well introduce myself....finally bought an "adventure bike" to add to the stable of BSA's.....And my name is Rich

I live in east central Ohio, at the gateway of some awesome riding...been riding the back roads of this part of Ohio for years....started riding when I was about 14....that was a LONG time ago...think we still had a B & W TV at the time :eek1 My first street bike was a Puch 175 MX with an enduro kit.....from there, moved up to a 1971 BSA Lightning.....and have owned at least one BSA ever since....Now, I am afraid the BSA's reproduce or something....there are at least 7 in the garage...maybe more :huh My wife is convinced they reproduce......at least she doesn't think I am buying more :rofl

But after spending way too much time rebuilding them.....and money, they start looking rough after doing the daily commute...so I finally convinced myself to buy something "modern". So, a 2000 Suzuki DR650 has taken up residence...and become the daily commuter. Now to explore some of the marginal roads around here.... :clap But I will still ride the original "adventure bike" some. BSA Victors are amazingly competent back road bikes!
  19. dragoon

Oddometer:
    :wave where's east central OH?
  20. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Looks like a combo deal, not enough oil & gas. The mechanicals are an oil deficiency but the holed piston is usually caused by a lean condition. 1st thumper I've seen hole a piston, I usually see 2 strokes doing that.