Newbie with problems.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dastard, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased a 2000 KLR 650 with only 800 miles on it and I am hooked!! I am having so much fun on it, learning how to ride and just putzing around town. I have a problem though. The bike sat for quite awhile before I bought it and there is rust in the gas tank. I didn't know that this could be an issue so I never checked it and now my carbeurater (sp) is acting up and the bike doesnt seem to want to run. Some of my friends have mentioned getting the tank acid washed then apply a coating to the inside to prevent future problems as well as getting the carb worked on). Does anyone know what this process usually costs? Is it more cost productive to purchase a new tank like the 6.6 gal one at dual star ($260) or a new factory tank (where could I find one)?

any advice for a newbie would be grateful.

thanks

Drew
  2. SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    at the entrance to Skyline Dr in Front Royal VA
    Try Clark Plastics for a replacement tank. I just bought a bigger tank for my DRZ400 and it cost $170...not too bad. Kreem is the tank treatment that you are talking about, 30-40 dollars to do it yourself but I tried the kreem treatment on a tank a few years ago and the kreem product chipped and caused the same problem as the rust.
  3. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    Kreem is the tank treatmet, as was mentioned. An oposing view: I used it on an old Honda with no trouble, but every one knows that Hondas are trouble-free any way. New tanks can be had on e-bay for cheep. The hayday of cheep KLR body parts ended when Kawasaki started shipping rolling chasis instead of complete bikes, to the company that makes Army KLRs, but deals can be found. Dual Star still has NOS tanks I think. Either way, you are going to have to clean out the carb and I'd stick in an in-line fuel filter too.

If I were you I would either :
    a) Kreem the tank, put in a filter and wait untill a good deal popped up on e-bay, on the KLR list, or the KLR Forum.
    or
    b) Sell the bike to me for a rediculously low price and be done with the foul beast.

ken
  4. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    As far as I know Dual Star is the only distributor of the Mil-spec plastic tank for the KLR. I am sure a new OEM tank will cost more than $260. There is a 1998 KLR tank on e-bay starting bid is 29.00. Is that yours? :lol3
  5. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    Nope, not my tank on e-bay but I saw that one too. I think I am going to try and "kreem" the tank this weekend. It is a real shame though cause I was hoping to get some time on the saddle.

drew
  6. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    do it right an be patient...you will. Bid on that tank any way, you might just pick it up for $30 (no takers so far). A cheap plan B. Good luck!