What's the Worst peice of equipment you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scrubs, Nov 14, 2007.

1. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Teiz 1 peice suit,1st addition.
    AWFULL !!!,lost my ass on it !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ah! Finally a truth speaker,any decently broken in Corbin is good for an 800 mile day or more.
    These guys that bitch about em are pussies! Fair weather play riders!
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    A GS500E was the biggest piece of shit I ever bought. But someone gave me a Ninja 250, and it was a piece of shit too, but I didn't buy it. I gave it to someone else. And now, it appears to be a cult bike.
  4. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    That motor was called an Astron and was used in the incredibly successful (sales-wise) Chrysler/Mitsubishi Sigma here from about 1979 to 1988. They were pretty much the first 4 cylinder car to challenge the dominance of the six cylinder Holden Kingswood, Ford Falcon amd Chrysler Valiant here.

They also became notorious for failed head gaskets and cracked heads and of the 3 or 4 that I knew well, all eventually were scrapped for that issue. One had been in the family since new and had two replacements heads under warranty in the early 1980s, finally turning its toes up in about 1998.

I've only ever seen one Sigma in North America, badged as a Dodge (Colt wagon?), in Vancouver BC in 1997. I guess they're all well and truly gone by now.
  5. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i had a holeshot/corbin on my bandit. i rode that seat for 15.5 hours straight. only got out of the seat once to pee. i sat on the seat when refueling. the only problem was my legs...just couldn't stretch them out for relief. my new corbin came in this morning for my new 650 vstrom. i installed highway bars on my vstrom on monday :)
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could you expand on this a bit more? I just bought a Teiz Lombard suit. I got it for a steal on eBay. I'm not sure what version it is (still waiting for it to arrive)... But if it turns out to be junk, no big deal because I'm not out much. Though it would be nice to hear any negatives about it before I trust my skin in it.
  7. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite...my almost 6 year old Halvarssons Safety jacket has never leaked a drop. I ride year round in the Pacific Northwet.

To be fair though, most of my riding is commuting for no more than 45minutes at a time so perhaps longer times would see more breakthrough. Weekend / longer rides are generally selected during at least somewhat decent weather. But I've also been in some sustained torrential downpours where all of my other "waterproof" gear has leaked. Just never the jacket.
  8. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Worst bike... Aprillia Pegaso 660. Absolute piece of crap. Disintegrated around me, would never run because the build quality was so appalling that it fell apart.

Worst boots... TCX. Wore them on a big trip and both zips failed, heels peeled off and generally fell apart. Also they leak.

Worst ever... Cambodian HID headlight units, they upset my bike computer and somehow melted my light housing. In fact never buy anything from Cambodia.
  9. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    AFX FX-50 helmet. What a piece of junk. Molded around perfectly round head , like somebody took a soccer ball and made a helmet to fit it. Pressure points everywhere around the head , never broke in either , liner is so thin basically your head is in a styrofoam box. And it leaks like crazy during the rain.Never again I will buy a cheap helmet it was like a torture device the whole 2 week trip...
  10. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiez, one piece "Lombard"...i had one and all the zippers broke. Tiez replaced under warantty with version 2, if i remember correctly. the suit is heavy, but the material appears to be bomb proof. it also appears to be waterproof from the little wet riding i did in it. The suit sucks for riding a Goldwing and it needs airflow to keep you cooled down. it has toons of zippers for ventillation. i would not buy another 'one piece' because of the inconviences, but i would buy a Tiez 2 piece if the price was right.
  11. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    An AirHawk seat cushion. Unhappily, I bought the better made (more expensive) one instead of the cheaper AirHawk2 model. I paid $70 more for the longer lasting one and could only bear it for a couple of rides. The cheap one would have lasted that long. I was trying to find something to get me through on a bad seat until I could get an appointment with Russell to re-make it into a real seat.
  12. Goldburg

Goldburg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Airhawk=good...:D
    To each his own, but I'd disagree with you. I've seen people that can't believe how little air they should have in them, though. To much air=unhappy butt.
  13. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I did not try minimum air. I guess I fell into the more is good trap.
  14. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    *Minimun Air* is correct, sir!!

I started with very little, and now have even less...as in practically none. It "fills the voids" created by my bony butt quite well, and now works great. I agree that the most commo mistake is to put too much air in them. It's amazing how far a small amount will suffice. I did what most others have done....ride, reduce air, ride some more, reduce air again, repeat.

Airhawks are great!!
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. If you even remotely feel like you're floating you have too much air in it. Oh, and don't leave it on your bike overnight if snow showers are expected. It'll glue itself to the seat:lol3
  16. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pegpacker extra fuel system

total POS.

stick to Rotopax.
  17. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    And a leg-breaker to boot...
  18. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    River Road brand riding gear. All zippers broke in a week. Threw it away.
  19. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    I have had a TM Flex jacket for about 6 years now and many thousands of miles. Not a single problem at all.
  20. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A wedding ring.
    The new guy didn't know that what he was getting into would chap his ass after such a short period of time and that earplugs are required equipment.
    :clap
    Poor bastard...