Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #2416
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 476
I thought I'd post some progress pics of my attempt at building a support and top rack that's worth a damn. I have the Ktm hard parts racks and tied in to the back hoop mounts and rear rack mounts. Here is the top plate I started with.

It is 1/8" steel cut out on my buddies plasma table. We then made legs to come down and connect to the lower rack and gusseted it for support. I have a rear rack drawn up on the computer. It will be 3/16" aluminum plate with multiple tie down points along the exterior. Also will have the correct holes for a rotopax mount. Here is some pics of the rear support system after fitting. It is ready for paint.

I made the exhaust come out further just like the racks to clear the exhaust cap. This way I have no funny noise of exhaust hitting a plate. I'll update when the next steps are made.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #2417
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Looking good!

I tied my plate (with a ss backing plate), rear brace and Nomadic top rack together with 3/8" Al rod (Plastidipped) on each side and also added a piece from the left side rack curved over the muffler to keep my rolltop from contacting the muffler when open. You can almost sit on the top rack now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
I thought I'd post some progress pics of my attempt at building a support and top rack that's worth a damn. I have the Ktm hard parts racks and tied in to the back hoop mounts and rear rack mounts. Here is the top plate I started with.

It is 1/8" steel cut out on my buddies plasma table. We then made legs to come down and connect to the lower rack and gusseted it for support. I have a rear rack drawn up on the computer. It will be 3/16" aluminum plate with multiple tie down points along the exterior. Also will have the correct holes for a rotopax mount. Here is some pics of the rear support system after fitting. It is ready for paint.

I made the exhaust come out further just like the racks to clear the exhaust cap. This way I have no funny noise of exhaust hitting a plate. I'll update when the next steps are made.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #2418
DesertRatliff
Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer: 543
Mosko Moto Reckless 80L

Well...over the winter I added a Rally Raid rack to my 690, but I just saw the Mosko Moto Reckless system and am having second thoughts about keeping it.

Before I get too excited, I asked the guys at Mosko Moto what their official recommendation is for refueling the 690 with the system. They've gotta be busy, because I haven't heard back.

So...I'll pester you guys with a question or two. Some of you guys have pre-ordered. What are your thoughts on refueling?

Also, I'm a little concerned about the system rubbing on the rear tank. Plastics are one thing (replaceable, expendable; once they get too ugly and scuffed, replace them), but the tank is a different story. It looks like the lower wings of the bags might rub the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts there?
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #2419
Orangecicle
Quest Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatliff View Post
Well...over the winter I added a Rally Raid rack to my 690, but I just saw the Mosko Moto Reckless system and am having second thoughts about keeping it.

Before I get too excited, I asked the guys at Mosko Moto what their official recommendation is for refueling the 690 with the system. They've gotta be busy, because I haven't heard back.

So...I'll pester you guys with a question or two. Some of you guys have pre-ordered. What are your thoughts on refueling?

Also, I'm a little concerned about the system rubbing on the rear tank. Plastics are one thing (replaceable, expendable; once they get too ugly and scuffed, replace them), but the tank is a different story. It looks like the lower wings of the bags might rub the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts there?
I pre-ordered the 80 and have the same questions. I think it should be pretty easy to detach the rear mounts and slide the entire thing forward for fueling. Second option would be to cut a hole in the top part to make access for the filler.

As to the rubbing, I have that concern as well. I thought about getting something like a big sheet of a tacky silicone (think your wife's/significant other's silicone baking sheet) or something like a thin yoga mat to put over the bike . . . like a saddle pad for a horse.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #2420
DesertRatliff
Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer: 543
I like the saddle pad idea! Giddyup.

I'm anxious to pre-order (really high-quality and innovative stuff), but am hoping there'll be a 690 version with a gusseted hole for the filler or something cool that I can't even fathom.
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #2421
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 977
Tech-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatliff View Post
I'm a little concerned about the system rubbing on the rear tank. Plastics are one thing (replaceable, expendable; once they get too ugly and scuffed, replace them), but the tank is a different story. It looks like the lower wings of the bags might rub the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts there?
I don't have any input on your particular bags, I too was concerned with rubbing/ scratching/ wear and tear on the sides of the tank, be it from bags or boots or crashes. What I ended up doing was buying this: http://techspec-usa.com/magento/inde...2-0006-ss.html and sticking it where my boots rubbed (would work just as well on the lower portion of the tank too.) You get 2 sheets that are slightly smaller than a sheet of paper. They are 1/8" thick rubber and provide a nice non-skid surface that surely helps protect against impacts too. I installed it at the end of '09 and it is worn about 1/2 way through at the worst spot now with no signs of peeling up. Expensive stickers? Yes. Cheap insurance? Yes. I 100% recommend it to all 690 owners with or without soft bags.

I posted this pic a few pages back, but you can see it on the sides of the tank and I even used the scrap pieces to cover up my custom heel guard/ soft bag tie down points:

Old Today, 02:41 PM   #2422
moto74
displaced

Oddometer: 189
Nice idea with the heel guards as an attachment point - did you make them up yourself ? I was looking at the Altrider Hemisphere bag images on the AR website and they seem to have the bags tied off to the frame just above the first heat shield and I just couldn't see those angles working.
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #2423
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 977
Yep, I made them out of some scrap 1/4" aluminum plate. I traced the stock pieces and then smoothed the shape out a bit, cut, drilled, ground, sanded and polished anywhere my straps might touch. I put the ears in a vise and bent the plate outwards a few degrees so that they cleared the swingarm. I had the bags strapped to the frame before but they flopped around like your elbows would when imitating chicken wings! (go ahead and do it, nobody's watching! )