Road and Trail runners racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by disconnected, Jun 26, 2011.

1. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. I really dont have any friends that like to run, so I hope I can talk with you guys when I have some questions.

Im about to make the transfer from 5k racess to 10k races. I have hopes to run an all trail half marathon October 1st. Currently I am running about 6 miles with a slowly and steady weekely gain.

I run my 5k in the 25 range, but am cutting time each race. When is a good time to step up to the 10k race? I think im ready. Im not the fastest, but would like to go further to get in better shape and prepare myself for my half October 1st.

Ive lost 55 pounds since Febuary 14th 11, and started running to help in my weight loss. I find myself really enjoying it and almost feel hooked to it. :D A short time ago, I had a pretty bad case of "runners knee", but it completely cleared up with a new pair of shoes properly fitted and Orage Super Feet, so I think my body is doing great with the running.

thanks,
    greg
  2. zrxmoto

zrxmoto don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer:
    If you are running a 25min 5k and can run 6 miles without too much issue, then I say sign up for the 10k. All depends on what you mean by "ready" to race in the 10k. In other words what your goal is: Just finish? Win? Midpack?

If it wasn't for the fact that my wife competes in triathlons, I'm not sure I'd ever run. However I am her primary training partner so run I do. 10k is our usual training run. Our training for the week alternates run, bike, run, bike, etc. I don't swim so she adds in the swim training and we also try to hit the weights as well. It is amazing how much weight training can improve biking and running. We also go over to the high school track for a speed workout. Run 200's and 400's. Important to do some speed workouts like that so you don't get in a rut with your running.

We are running a 10k this weekend. We usually do a couple of run events each year. I have no goal other than to finish mid-pack. No way my 200lb frame is ever going to compete with the 145lb guys.

Good shoes are paramount. I can't run without some sort of insert in my shoes.

I have no desire to do anything more than a 10k though. A lot of people who start running have the goal to eventually do a half or full marathon. I have no such desire.

I greatly prefer bicycling. Far less impact on the body and you get to obsess over bicycles and parts just like motorcycles. I just bought a new Litespeed Archon C3. My interest is in bicycle racing.

My wife is into tri's but I don't swim. I greatly prefer bikes. So as kind of a middle ground we do 3 "duathlons" every year. Typically: 3mi run, 14-18mi bike, and 3mi run. Sometimes the run distances vary depending on event. If you have a bicycle (any ol' bike) and want a unique challege try a duathlon. It is just like a 10k only interrupted in the middle by a 14mile bike race. Joe
  3. Flyinguy

Flyinguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get in a rut by doing the same thing every week. Add biking, swimming, weight training, etc. Do some speed work or hill work every week, not necessarily both. Most runners do their long slow distance (LSD) runs to fast and their speed work too slow. On your LSD runs, you should be able to hold a conversation. If you have access to them, add some trail running or hiking to the mix. Hiking works different muscle groups than running.

I had to take a year off due to chronic overuse injuries. I restarted running in January, running three times per week, a LSD, a speed or strength, and a "tempo" run. I add other excercises as needed, and this seems to work for me.

Take you time, listen to your body :deal and continue to have fun. Good luck with your training.
  4. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    First, congrats on the weight loss and getting into running. I did the same thing 4 years ago, and yes, it is very addictive.

The advice that zrx and flyinguy gave are spot on. When I started running, that's all I did-run. I got quicker by just putting miles in, but I got BETTER at running by doing strength/core workouts and cross-training. Working your non-running muscles is important to both get quick and (more importantly) reduce the risk of injury.

If all you have is 3-4 days/week to train and you're using them for running, adding 10-15 minutes of pushups and situps on each of those days will help you more than you expect. Lunges and squats are easy to do any time as well. Biking and swimming, as mentioned, are great cross-training workouts. If time is an issue, do a spin class and add paddles to your swimming for a more intense workout.

As you're planning on a trail half in October, make sure you add trail runs to your routine if you haven't already. Any idea what the course of the trail race is like? Some "trail races" are on gravel bike trails and are basically the same as running on pavement. However, some are on actual hiking trails, like the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (not far from Pgh), or Appalachian trail. If possible, make sure you train in an environment close to what you'll be racing in.

BTW - if you don't want to "cross train" per se, trail running on actual trails where you have elevation changes, rocks, roots, etc. is a great alternative, as you get a better all-around workout of your legs, core, arms, etc.

Let us know how you do in your 10k - you're ready for it now and will do just fine. And feel free to post in this thread or send a PM if you have any questions.
  5. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    stretching is very important. Don't slack on it. You need a good 5-10min of stretching after every run. If you don't, you're in for a world of hurt.

I had IT band problems because I wasn't stretching enough when I started training for triathlons a few years back. Painful to just sit in a chain. Took 3 months for them to calm down enough so that I could train. I stretch a lot now.

I'll second the good shoes. Go to a running store, not some store in the mall. Find a good pair of shoes. They'll be expensive, but will save you from injury.

Work on your running form. Little things, like landing on the balls of your feet, foot striking the ground underneath you instead of in front of you, rotating your pelvis forward a little (push your crotch forward)... all the little things that add up, especially when you start adding mileage.

And stretch. A lot.
  6. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=548 src="http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/129670926" frameBorder=0 width=465></IFRAME>
    first run with my new Garmin GPS watch.
  7. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Trail running is currently consuming me. I just upgraded to a GPS watch to accurately clock my miles. my past 6 races I have finished with a 9th, 7th, 4th and three 1st places in my age group. I have found out that good shoes are worth there weight in gold! My total weight loss to date is 84 pounds.
    greg
  8. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the addiction! :clap:clap:clap

Maybe we can get some folks together and run the Laurel Highlands Ultra? It's in your back yard. I run parts of the trail when I go back home to PA. 70 miler individual or team, and 50k individual or team. :evil:evil
  9. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    YES, I just posted a link on a Facebook Trail page! the team relay can consist of 5 members, but im sorta wondering if I want to do the 50K solo. Also, I was born in DesMoines, my parents moved back and lived in Urbandale. Not to far from the Machine Shed. Do you know where that is? They lived in a newer neighborhood, not to far from a lake, next to a bike trail.

:D
  10. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
  11. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Just sent a request to join your FB group. I'm Brett.

Cool to hear you're from DSM originally. The Machine Shed is about 5 minutes from me, and I run in that area a great deal. I'm originally from Johnstown PA.

I'm with you contemplating the 50k solo. Could be do-able if I can get my butt in gear and train. ADV ride-and-run rally??? :lol3
  12. Flyinguy

Flyinguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Team ADVRider :kurt
  13. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    Salt Fork? Where's the mud pics??? :lol3

Looks like a tough race. Kudos on the good finish!
  15. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are gearing up for our annual summer "try to destroy yourself" extravaganza. We just missed the past summer due to an injury my brother had. Two summers ago we went to the San Juan Solstice 50M and failed, we got pulled from the course at 40M because we missed the cutoff time. So, we go back for revenge this summer. Training has officially started, Sunday runs will get pushed out little by little each week.

This is our "tuneup" event, on May 12 one month out: (slackers haven't updated the website since last year)

http://skagitrunners.org/lostlake.shtml

Then, the monster on June 23, 4 days after my 55th birthday:

http://web.me.com/grayj923/San_Juan_Solstice_50_Mile_Race/Welcome.html

The adventure begins... :lol3
  16. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    thats sweet!

:D
  17. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    Dayum. That looks a lot more fun than where I'm supposed to run that same weekend. Maybe I need to switch!
  18. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Well, book a flight, sign up, and come on out and join us. :deal
  19. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    Ya know, I'm going to look into it. Had a rough 2011 due to injury recovery and other things so I'm way out of shape right now, but I may be able to get ready for that.

The elevation would kick my ass, but I'm pretty sure I could get in under the 10 hour time limit. The scenery would make DFL or a DNF OK in my book. Much more fun than 4 hours on a bike trail in MN.
  20. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    We start really training 4-6 months out for one of these events, so you should be ok as long as you're over your injury. In the "off season" it's just short 2-3 mile runs about 6 days a week to maintain a sort of base level fitness, that's what we are launching off now.

And, for reference, we aren't "racing". Too old and slow for that. :D Our 50k times have all been 9-10 hours on courses similar to the one in my link (i.e. lots of elevation gain and loss). We are nowhere near the genetic mutants out front who take half that time. :lol3