Interesting new tire tool.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Stumpalump, Sep 2, 2012.

1. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is awesome!!! Thank you again for everything.

Now I have decided to not invest in the tire changer, I am going to get a No-Mar at the end of the year. Hey PMR want to arrange a group buy on those? :rofl
  2. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can I get in on the group buy please ?
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I built my own changer about 3 years ago, I've changed a couple hundred moto tires since. It mounts into the receiver hitch on the pickup and I work off the tailgate. I do use a few bits from NoMar, but prefer a different mount - demount bar. But the No-mar is sweet, I just didn't want to spend the dough.

on the list, LMK about adapters

PMR
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Many thanks!! :clap
  5. imin2mx

imin2mx n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, just what I was looking for. I would like to get on the list too!
  6. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    NICE!!! Look Ma, No Spoons!!!! :)

Now I know where to get my tires changed.
  7. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    If you ever been to a Machine Tool Show you may have seen the Hardinge Lathe exhibits where they are running actual parts. These demos are seldom reproduceable on real factory floors because of the hundreds of hours that go into fine tuneing the operations. this guy has probably done this several dozen times with the same wheels and can now do it in his sleep, unlike you and me who will bust our nuts on the first half dozen tyre changes.:ear
  8. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:

Point well-taken, but if you scroll back just a little bit, you will see a video from an inmate who was brave enough to record himself on his first time using this tool. All things considered, I thought it looked pretty easy.
  9. ONADR

ONADR n00b

Oddometer:
    I just showed the video to a buddy of mine so please sign me up for 2 tools instead of 1.I am not sure what I need for adapters so I will just turn my own. Thanks again.
  10. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    "When we did the GB, it took me one evening just to unpack the shipment, another to repack the tools into the USPS boxes, and 2 evenings to print all the shipping labels and attach. The USPS sent a truck to my office to pick all the boxes up, I only had to go to the post office twice and that was for Canadian inmates. The hardest part was keeping ADV screen names, real names, email addys and shipping addresses straight, as well as who wanted what LOL."

use a spreadsheet or Data base to keep track of all inmates and items ordered and then mail merge the home addresses. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to print out mailing labels. Once the SS or DB is set up it can be used forever. This shouldn't be a big chore with today's technology and you already have a computer...:D
  11. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered making a Google Doc and letting them fill in their own information?
  12. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    you didn't do anything wrong looks like a good tool for those flexible sidewall motocross tires you use, but your video pretty much convinced me that this tool will never work with my Heidenau K37 6 ply 761# load, sidecar tyres. :eek1

wait a minute! I don't recall you using any spit on the bead. That would help things quite a bit. maybe it ain't so bad a tool. Did you use some soap or KY it up a little?
  13. markhas

markhas markhas

Oddometer:
    sounds like a better idea.

my SS & DB mail merge are prolly out dated work flows now-a-days. :lol3
  14. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    LOL, I am the most non-techy guy around, I have no idea how to set up a spreadsheet or do what you're talking about. Or even set up a printer to do mailing labels. I just do it the old fashioned way and write out a list. I do have to put everybody's info into the USPS website anyway to get the labels.

I can't program a GPS either. ;-(
  15. RobDek

RobDek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  16. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Pirelli is only a 3 ply, it is a DOT tire, but I didn't lube it :evil... The tire that is.
  17. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy PMR,
    Sorry for the multiple PMs...I'm a newbie in sending PM here...I had an operator problem. :deal
    CT
  18. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody, I'm out of town this weekend - ill update everything Sunday nite or Monday. Have a good weekend!
  19. bmrev01

bmrev01 n00b

Oddometer:
    pm sent..Thanks
  20. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Sorry no vids or pics but I used the tool to mount tires on my Tiger 1050 today. Brand new Pilot Road 3's, rear tire size was 180/55 zr17 and there was little to no drama using this tool. I did use tire lube to mount the tires, I easily fit the first bead over the rim using only my hands. The second bead needed the tool of course.

I struggled at first (the pusher bar kept slipping out of the splines whenever I tried to push the sidewall) but I figured out that I needed to put as much of the bead over the rim as possible and then push down the tire opposite the area that remained over the rim to give the tire some slack. I have some NoMar tools to hold the tire down (yellow hand thingie) and then I could use the tool to push the last of the bead over the rim. Took a little bit of force but not near as much as I remember using on my mounting bar that came with my CycleHill tire changer. You do have to be just a bit careful as I think you could scratch the rim with the pusher arm.

Rear wheel axle size on the Tiger was just the right size for the tool with no sleeves, I had to use the included sleeve for the front wheel but it worked really well.

Conclusion: I like this thing better than my mounting bar for getting the last of the bead over the rim, seemed to take much less force to get the job done. Of course you need something to break the beads and remove the old tire before this tool can be used.