Elefant Technical Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by motomikedh, Feb 28, 2008.

1. motomikedh

motomikedh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to start a new thread where we can all discuss/express our concerns about Elefant technical issues and modifications. The Elefant Sightings thread should be used for our trips and photos for bragging rights about where we have taken these Beasts. Good Luck everyone!! Talk to ya soon :clap
  2. motomikedh

Oddometer:
    I just put on some new timing belts, aftermarket Bucci belts. Has anyone tried these?? Any input on the MBP collets??? Hello, anyone out there??
  3. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Bucci , should be arriving soon. No real experience but I heard good thing about them.
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I almost bought one. The 'technical' bit put me off, ie. I was too afraid it would keep breaking down.
  5. motomikedh

Oddometer:
    The belts aren't too hard, the timing marks on the pulleys and the engine case line right up, the bitch part is getting the old belts off (big nubs to get over the pulley edge). The new bucci belts have a different tooth profile and go on just a hair easier, but not much. Good luck.

Christian, how's the fork mod going?? We should post pics when we both get finished.
  6. motomikedh

Oddometer:
  7. Mr Fast

Mr Fast Slowly striving

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of installing my custom length rear shock. It is an inch longer to match my 50 mms on the front. I will post pics when I get back home. (I am out of town at the moment).

I ordered what I thought was going to be a wilbers and got a hyper pro instead. It looks like a good shock. I guess I will find out when I get it in. It looks similar to the technoflex I installed on my dad's elefant last year.

I like this thread Idea. Hope it takes off.

-John

Just figured out I posted on dads screen name. Further updates under Azcagiva's screen name.
  8. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I also have a part number from total seal for a gapless second ring and a better oil control ring. Will post them when I get home.

-John
  9. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well , I stopped it for now, basically with all the stuff I had, I would spend an other $3/$400 (spring, valving) and right now I can't , so I sold my stuff on here, and with the money I bought all the maintenance parts I needed (belts, light kit, etc...) The goodie I got out of this is a Vector Trail Tech computer which I will install and I will post installation pictures.

Christian
  10. flyben

flyben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have an idea wich size fits the fants standard pegs ??

--
    flyben
  11. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    I just got mine put back together after doing a spring cleaning tune-up. Here are some thoughts...

Take the four screws out of the small piece of fairing that goes around the oil cooler. Then the fairing comes off easy. (I used to lay it on the front fender on a towel)

The stock muffler works great for holding the fuel tank up enough to not spill or rest on the petcock.

Removing the brakes on the front and then putting them back on after the tire change is faster than fighting them because they were left on.

The speedo was working most of the time. Sometimes it would start working again if you tapped or hit the gage, sometime under acceleration... The worm-drive that connects the back of the speedo to the cable had worn and the two worm gears were not meshing all the time. A new gear unit has fixed this. This part is NOT on the part diagram for a E900. It's just not there. Tell them you have a 900ss. It's on that parts diagram... (and it's $60!!!)

You will need approx 30 or so stainless steel chore boy pads to fill a D&D can. use a long screwdriver and pack 'em in!

Some models of Harley use the same oil filter. You can get them at most auto-parts stores. 50-50 chance it's chrome though...(e900)

Hall's Ducati in Springfield Illinois has had most of the parts I have needed in stock. (Speedo cable, speedo gear thing, throttle cable, etc.) One of the guys there rides an elefant. They will keep a CC on file for you, and shipping has been fast.

Love this new thread!
    danketchpel and Sprocket75 like this.
  12. «dmx_must_fly»

«dmx_must_fly» Elefant Rider

Oddometer:
    don't be tempted to use a car oil filter on the duc engine!
    the oil presure in a car engine is much lower then in the duc engine
    pay another 20 or so $$ just to be sure
    thats what I am doing
  13. flyben

flyben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so i answer myself .. the peg is 3 cm wide .. approx 1,18 or 1,28 inche ?
    no I've sent them a mail to know about shipping cost to France

--
    Flyben
  14. motomikedh

Oddometer:
    If they won't help u out let me know and I can get some and send them to you. I love my pegs now, they feel about dirtbike size now.
  15. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    It is a moto filter... Just happens to be the same size as a Harley filter...
  16. Motobueno

Motobueno n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,This should be a good thread.My wife and I ride(among other things) '94 &'95 Elefants.My '95 has 48k and has stopped on the road once.Easy fix,raw wire at the sterring head,a little tape and a new fuse and we were off.Good idea to carry a few extra !
    Upgrades:Most from Michael @ Dumbo lab.Honest guy! And knows his electrics.
    Starter wiring upgrade-A MUST. It really spins now!
    Headlite wiring upgrade-Talking to Michael one time and I metioned how I wanted to put on some PIAA lites like the "GS"guys.He said try this .I did the kit.WOW -TURNED NITE INTO DAY!! I was truly blown away with the improvement.
    MBP collets on hers.Low HP motor should go a long time.so far so good.
    LED tail lite
    Remote res larger front masrer cyl on mine.
    Tubless tires-sealed the spoke nipples,thousands of miles and no problem.
    Remus cans one Ti one Alu
    Tecno Flex shock for mine and the fork springs,This is my spring project.
    Hepco crash bars and racks with Gobi bags.CAREFUL SPLITTING LANES IN CA.REAL CAREFUL! DOUH!
    39mm flat slides on mine without notching the frame.A little work to get them dialed in but when done they really work well,sharp response.
    Nic plated emulsion tubes in her carbs-has slowed the ovalizing problem,Any body got a set of used 39's

OH! One other on road problem.3 years ago we did a 3500 mile loop down from Wa.to Ca.In the little town of Drain Oregon Tere's battery went flat.I swear I never put it together until I just saw it in print! A Douglas County sheriff came to our aid.We decided to jumb from his patrol car.Now I remember that conversation with a friend.He was going to buy Chevy Impala cop car at auction.they were really cool because EVERYTHING on them was beefed up in the cop cars.We might have been ok it he haden't started the car?I had just put on new regulators.Thank GOD I took Michael's advise and hard wired them out side of the harness.I hit the switch and that red wire flat ass vaporised!!God knows how many amps that thing was putting out.Got a new reg over nite and were on our way.

All in all l in all great bikes with some(in my opinion)minor issues,but once you get em dialed in it sure is fun to pass sport bikes!Not the really fast ones,just the squids.

"If it ain't broke-LETS UPGRADE!"
  17. Motobueno

Motobueno n00b

Oddometer:
    I have done several dent removals on 2 stroke pipes by using rubber plumbing plugs secured very well in the ends,one plug is fitted with a air valve.I pumped the pipe up to around 15 to 20 # and ues a welding tourch to work out the dents.It's a trip to get it red hot and watch the metal start moving. A note of caution-When pressurizing the pipe STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF THE PLUGS!! There is a learning curve to the process.I put a couple of them out into the woods.
  18. flyben

flyben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep you informed ..
    cause in the dirt the original pegs are too shorts

--
    flyben
    thanks
  19. motomikedh

Oddometer:

I tried the frozen water method this past winter and it worked on my KX250 pipe, however, the third freeze cycle the plugs didn't come out and it split one of the welds. I had my friend zerodog weld it back together and it looks great now, no more dents. I may try this technique with our stainless header pipes and see if it works. I'll let you all know. Good thing I have a spare beer fridge in the garage with an empty freezer!!!!
  20. KiltBoy

KiltBoy Mahout

Oddometer:
    Hi guys - just checking in.

Rear shock - got a Wilburs and it doesn't fit very well.

I got the remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster. The hoses come out at angles that don't let you conveniently place the parts anywhere on the frame. Plus, the clamps are for round tubes not square.

So, I'm not exactly sure what they meant by "sure, we have a shock to fit your Elefant".

I'll try to get a pic to include.