Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    Due to both personal and professional commitments, I find myself no longer able to support this project.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Edit -
    So everyone knows - I checked with Chip and the files for the TET will not be available until the point he can devote time to the project once again.

Dave
    ADV Mod
  2. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Due to both personal and professional commitments, I find myself no longer able to support this project.
  3. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    Good idea Chip! But if you want sober cooperation, i may have to be retrained!:freaky I'm in though!
  4. uniter

uniter anti-n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Idea, I take it you mean a north-south route through the eastern states?
  5. intothenew

Oddometer:

That is totally up to the collective. I am simply trying to harbor a place that allows the different files to meet.

For instance. if you were to track to the New York border I would expect that to challenge someone to take it to Vermont, Mass, Conn, Jerz, or PA. Shake your neighbors hand so to speak.

Sure, the Florida Keys would be nice. But someone has to make it to the Flatistan border for that to happen. And, I think we are closer to the lobster traps for now.
  6. code

code advcurious

Oddometer:
    Rob23 kinda layed the foot work for you already by drawing up the file for the Trans - Appalachian Trail. I followed a lot of robs route through pa. and into md. From there you can pretty much hook into the twvt to head further south for a much better route ( I like intothenew's route a lot), then head back towards nc. hooking back into robs file which will then lead you through the smokies, which have quite an assortment of fantastically crappy great roads:D. So to complete it, the only areas needed would be from georgia on down to fl. and north of maine...maybe link it into nova scotia and new foundland if ya wanna add a bit more excitement..lol.:lol3
  7. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    great to hear there's people out there actually using the AT routes, can you please email me any data and notes you have (ie: tracks, waypoints, items to change/update, closed roads, etc.).

Thanks,

Since I released the AT I haven't received much data back at all, therefore it's remained an unproven route. I really don't know if it sucks, it's good, if people ride it or what, I get no feed back and therefore I haven't really worked on it at all and I've been to busy racing dirt bikes to ride it myself. :cry

I think what Chip wants to do is build a proven route and I agree with him there 100%, we definately could use a North > South (east coast) proven route that's 100% legal, great to ride and has tracks, waypoints and a nicley pinned down route that works for most gps units.

However, we can't do it alone, we need everyone's track data, waypoints and notes in order to put it all together. As far as proven routes go we currenty have the TWVT > PA Connector > TNJT > NY Connector (in progress) > TMAT > VT Puppy Dog Route. So, I'm really looking for more data for ME, NH and CT and of course anything south of WV. I rarley go in that direction but Chips down there and does a great job of putting routes together and collecting data. However, if anyone wants to help out in the deep south (ie: FL, GA) please contact me, I plan on being in western FL this November.

I'm also interested in learning if you'd rather ride the best roads and cover less states or ride through more states (ie: PA and NY have a ton of great roads but you'd miss out on the other states by staying in NY up towards Canada via the ADK and over to ME via VT > NH. This is why my AT route followed the AT hiking trail because the hiking trail is all in the mountains and hits most of the east coast states.

Also, I'm interested in seeing your tracks and routes that may be off the AT route, maybe it's worth a re-route. My only requirement is that at the time it's 100% legal to ride.

Since I'm into street bikes now I'm also interested in a twisty route alternative to the adventure routes. :wink:

--
  8. intothenew

Oddometer:
    I added the link and description of the Twvt to the second post. Who's next?

I await a volunteer, I don't want to tread on anybodies files. PM me or post up and I will add the links and description.
  9. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    As the riding season moves south this year, i'll be doing the same. When the snow hits the ground in WV this winter i could spend some time in Ga. chunkin' bread and relayin' tracks. The only riding in Ga. for me so far has been Durhamtown Plantation, a 8000 acre privately owned orv park with all the ammenities. But i'd love to do some Dualin' and help with the TET anywhere needed.
  10. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool! I'd say why limit it to North/South? The more directions it goes the more choices people will have (and hopefully incentive to add to it).

I had a question about your color code . . .
    Is green essentially gravel/dirt road - or asphalt? If dirt road, maybe there should be a color for regular old road. That way, if somebody has a track that is 90% dirt, it can still be added but people are aware there will be a bit of pavement. I haven't found anything within 50 miles of DC where you can go for an extended period off pavement (20+ miles).
  11. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between 20 and 30% of the tracks from Jersey to Jellico are asphalt. I don't think you can get that far, legally or not, without running some of it. Green includes all three that you mentioned. We do have to get into town to get gas and beer, not necessarily in that order, right?:lol3

The Eastern section of the TAT is 70-80% pavement by contrast. Of what I laid out in Kentucky, a little over 20 miles has been paved in the past four months. Kentucky is working on a section near Elkhorn City that I fear will take a beautiful piece of blue soon. West Virginia has corridor H in high gear near Forman, they cut me off in a section there before I could release. I used to get upset over these things, but after riding the Eastern TAT not so much.

The TAT ride opened my eyes that it doesn't have to be 100% teeth grinding dirt to be fun. The sites, the smells, and most importantly the people were the things that will remain with me.

Just take what Mother Nature and the DOT give you, be it a ridge line run on pavement with a magnificent view or a run up Lucifer Branch.
  12. intothenew

Oddometer:

Damn snow birds, you make me sick.

I took the tip that you gave me on the road East at the top of Big Walker and laid out a route to Damascus VA from Peeled Chestnut. I think that is my winter project.
  13. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    Don't puke in your balaclava! I'm very happy to contribute to your labours. :ricky :beer
  14. turkeyman101

turkeyman101 Navigationally Impaired Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt retraining would be necessary...:rofl You may have more company than you know...:evil:beer
  15. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    Anytime Turkey, i'm in Camp Creek for 2 weeks, c'mon.:jump
  16. turkeyman101

turkeyman101 Navigationally Impaired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be a good time to finish off an ailing KLR... :poser, or more smartly... beg to borrow a spare machine from a navigator...:evil. Will try to hook up. I've been out of the game a bit too long recovering from a minor injury, mostly to my pride:rofl. I know the Camp Creek area pretty well! :freaky:bubba
  17. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been talking to Chip for a couple of weeks about including the Trans-Mass Trail into the TET. We've been working out the details and it looks like it will roll out soon.

I'm very excited to have some small part in this project. :clap
  18. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am willing to work on a NY route , if someone wants to give me a file.
  19. intothenew

Oddometer:

If it were me, I would start with this. Just sayin'.
  20. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Here in Central NJ and willing to help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.