The Beemer Wave

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Slippy Chips, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beemer n00b here.

I've noticed the last few months that when I pass another BMW rider going the other way I often get a high "thumbs up" or just a triumphant fist held high. I'm so trained to just point two fingers at the ground I'm often caught off guard.

Anything I should know about? I'd hate to piss any of you off. You all look like a rough bunch!
  2. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending where you are in the country that could be the bike wave as some places all riders harley,bmw, whatever waves to each other. Richard
  3. fishwich

fishwich Cabin in the woods

Oddometer:
    Fist held high means "dim your high beams or I'll splash you with my soy cafe latte, you dolt".

Actually never seen the Beemer wave you describe. Thumbs up always works. I the hate pointing at the ground thing myself.
  4. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    Ever since I was a kid, I point or give the high fist pump. Don't care much for the off hand point at the ground shit. To laid back for me. When I'm riding, I am into it. :D
  5. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I don't wave, period.

The moment I test drove a BMW I already felt most riders were beneath me.

I might come screaming up next to you giving you the finger, standing up and grinning ear to ear, though.
  6. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    That's about all I'll do, too. Though with the helmet on, they won't see my grin, so I'll just be giving the finger. That's ok too.
  7. lp6

lp6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The worst part about riding a motorcycle...all the damn waving, pointing and posturing. Riding a motorcycle is not riding a goddamn float in a parade. If I wanted others to like me and be a member of "special" club I would ride in a big wad of motorcycles obstructing a city block length of freeway, sitting there like a rumbling turd sandwich making a nuisance of myself.

I like talking to others who ride bikes but pay attention to road for christ's sake. I would rather worry about my riding rather than looking like a cool chump.
  8. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, I always wonder about the point-at-ground thing. Something laying down there I should not miss? :evil
  9. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    It's a universal motorcyclist wave.

I wave or something unless I'm busy in traffic or scratching my balls. I spend most of my time driving across Texas, I sometimes ride hundreds of miles without seeing another bike. If I see another guy in the middle of nowhere, in Texas summer, in the middle of the day, I'm happy to see someone else who is as dumb of a fuck as I am.

If I make the effort to acknowledge another rider with a nod, a point or a wave, and they don't acknowledge me back- and they aren't busy that I can see- I might turn a peace sign into the middle finger, but really I don't care: fuck 'em.

Most people wave back, whether they are Harleys, Honda, Beemers, or crotchrockets. The only people who don't wave around here are either hicks who think they are 'hard', or certain pricks that think Houston Heights, the Woodlands, North Dallas, or parts of Austin are epitome of mankind's achievement in the universe, but not everyone from those areas is like that.

Lots of discussion on 'the wave' in Jo Momma, I'll make your head hurt.
  10. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a German bike so I always give a seig heil salute. But that could be why people flip me off:fyyff; I'm not really sure:uhoh.
  11. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I wave like a normal human being. Never understood that spring loaded point at the ground thing. Too much like a secret handshake.
  12. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    I've always found the wave annoying. The ground pointing even more so. I always thought it would be fun to wave like a four year old girl seeing her grandmother at the airport. Maybe I'll try that with the next bunch of doorag wearing rugged individualists that I see.

I lived and rode in the UK and Europe for a few years, and they are much more sensible over there. A simple tilt of the head is all you get, and because helmets are so big, small movements of the head are exaggerated and easily seen. Hands stay on the controls where they belong.
  13. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    I usually lock my throttle so I can use both hands and wave like a freaking clown, especially to the pirates.:deal
  14. lone shark

lone shark Banned

Oddometer:
    man that is funny:rofl my ass off that s good for all of us
  15. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    The moment I test drove a BMW I already felt most riders were beneath me.

I might come screaming up next to you giving you the finger, standing up and grinning ear to ear, though.[/QUOTE]

Do that to me and i'll run into you with my KLR!
  16. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after breaking down last sat 150 miles from home and not having one m.c stop or slow to if i needed help . your all aholes and im not waving at anybody. thanks i fell better :rofl:rofl
  17. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on my mood I normally nod, wave, point at you or give you a peace sign. The peace sign happens a lot, blame that on my location and upbringing. It also works good if you turn out to be a stuck up prick then I only have to drop one finger to express myself. I don't expect most pirates to wave back since I know they are primarily low skill level riders and scared to death to let go of the bars. I know that is why they ride in big groups also, Fear and the need for immediate help to pick the big shiny piece of crap off of them when it falls over. I don't care what you choose to ride. It is the fact that you do choose to ride that makes us members of the same food chain, for that I will acknowledge your existence.:wave

:fyyff
  18. Geografo

Geografo Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer:
    I wave at everyone. Having visited this forum since 2007-2008 when I first started thinking of getting an adventure bike (I was looking at the Buell Ulysses at the time), I have noticed that both BMW and Harley riders have gotten the reputation (mostly unearned, I believe...including those of you on this thread who state such...smartasses...:lol3) of being stuckup snobs who won't wave to anybody who rides anything other than their favorite brand. I have always made a point of waving to everybody on a bike, even guys/girls on scooters (I love the look of surprise on their faces when they realize that "a guy on one of the big bikes noticed me...:evil"--sometimes they even remember to wave back...:lol3), as a matter of principle. That being that, riding a two wheeled vehicle of any kind, including and especially bicycles, is a relatively dangerous vocation, compared to driving a car, because there isn't anything between you and the pavement and/or the idiot next to you with a cellphone, sandwich, talkative passenger, etc. except whatever protection you are wearing. So, I salute you for being one of the brave (crazy?) souls who has chosen to mount up.

Btw--after trying a few over the bar waves when on my Sportster, I came to the conclusion that the "hand-down" (as opposed to "point at the ground"--really?--:rofl) wave was a bit less unstable of a one-hand-off the handlebars salute than an over-the-bar salute. Comes down to rider skill in the end, I guess, but I had been away from riding big bikes for about 20 years when I bought the Sportster in 2006, so that would fit my lack of self-confidence during the first few months back in the saddle. Now, it's just habit, although if I am busy with my hands, I might raise a few fingers or nod while keeping both hands on the bars.
  19. swellguy

swellguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I generally don't wave anymore. More than half the riders I've waved to recently don't bother waving back. For the ones that wave at me, by the time my left hand clears the handlebar cover enough for it to be seen, the other rider is already passed. I just don't care anymore. I'll nod or something from now on.
  20. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the past few months I've been to Daytona and Panama City bike weeks, Key West, and the Tail of the Drangon in NC. Each time surrounded by thousands of thundering hogs. I'm always just happy to see someone on something different, event if that "something different" happens to be the same thing I'm on. I think it makes sense to put a little extra into a greeting for another BMW rider when it's safe.