Would a Ninja 250 be a good bike to take to California Superbike School?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dauntless, May 9, 2012.

1. Dauntless

Dauntless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update:

My brother wants to take the course with me and he suggested that we take the two day course. The S1000RR is included I the price and the instructor:student ratio is 2:1. He wants to go to Las Vegas or Infineon Raceway in October or November.
  2. RussellH

RussellH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been debating the same thing myself. For the price of renting the S1K I can take another class which is more valuable to me. In my case since I'll be taking level 1 and 2 at the Streets of Willow (used to race cars there) I'm not worried about passing or getting passed.

Hi Misti :wave
  3. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should use the rc8 and get ktm represented there:evil

Two day camp is nice. Just arrive in your street clothes and everything is provided ( except helmet)
  4. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Along with that- if you wad your bike, your insurance may not cover it. (Don't be a douche and lie about where you crashed- it's bad karma, and it will suck more if you're caught).

So check with your insurance agent on whether track-based classes, and possibly CSS in particular, is covered. (Be sure to point out it is NOT A RACE, because that will be explicitly not covered.) I would get a pointer to the exact clause that says so, so you a) know the agent isn't pulling it out of somewhere dark and stinky, and b) you can point it out should the worst happen.

Unless the bike's paid for and you have no intention of ever filing a claim- in which case, have at 'er.
  5. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    And then you find him parked in turn two, get around him in turn three, and he does it again the next lap. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I once had a guy on an R1 ask my why my FZR1000 was so down on power on the straight.

I was riding an FZR400. Slowly- it was the first time I'd ever ridden a track, on a borrowed bike, and the club racer I borrowed it from was in the hunt for a trophy in his class so I wanted to be sure I didn't wad it up.
  6. Dauntless

Dauntless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

Returned from the two day camp at Sonoma Raceway at Sears Point,CA. Everything was provided: boots,leathers,back protector, gloves, and helmet. I brought my own helmet and boots. They also provide a breakfast that includes sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, waffles, coffee, juice, etc. Lunch was also provided which was a nice sandwich (turkey, ham, or roast beef), fruit, cookies, salad, and chips. Cold water, Gatorade, sodas, and snacks are provided throughout the day. The director said "if you can't find it just ask". In the evening, we went to one of the many fine restaurants in California's wine country. The weather was perfect: 80 degrees and sunny.

The school consisted of five seminars each day followed by a track session to perform a drill that reinforced the seminar. The last two track sessions of the day are to work on whatever you and your coach feel needs work. Each day also includes a ride on the camera bike which records a lap around the track. They give you a DVD with both rides to take home. There is also a lean bike that the instructor uses to teach proper body positioning when cornering. The braking bike was available but most people didn't make use of it.

I learned a lot and have gained confidence when cornering. This was my first track experience and I found it perfect because people were there to learn rather than show off.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful including Keith Code himself. The S1000RR was awesome and it never faltered or lost grip despite being leaned hard. I kept it in rain mode until the last session. I was there to learn finesse in the corners, not speed on the straights.

I went through levels 1 and 2 and will definitely return to go through levels 3 and 4.
  7. Corbets

Corbets Gravity Slave

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous of those of you who've gotten to do this school; it's definitely on my bucket list. Looking at doing the school near the German / Danish border, but I don't think Keith attends the European classes. ;/
  8. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    ninja 250....properly prepped is awesome on a tight track. you'll smoke much larger displacment bikes.
  9. Delicious

Delicious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I say buy a DRZ400SM it is enough speed for straights but has the uber turning power you would want. But if you are on a budget I would go for a SV660.
  10. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:

Track days are 90% rider, 5% bike, 5% luck. I have seen a 250 obliterate people...lol.
  11. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's 20% bike if you ride an S1000rr:D
  12. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya. :rofl
  13. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's been done already.....:evil

check out these guys. they rent race prepped ninja 250.

http://feellikeapro.com/pricing.html

guy we pitted with had his bike break down. rented one and had a BLAST.
  14. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second that the CSS is top notch. I haven't been for about 8 years now and I want to go back. Living in the midwest now, anything I do will be fly and rent, including leathers. Did you stay at a nearby hotel and was that included? Did they shuttle you around in the van or did you cab it places? Just trying to get a sense of additional costs. Thanks!
  15. Misti Hurst

Misti Hurst Racer. Writer. Coach

Oddometer:
    Do it :) the 2013 schedule is up now so perhaps this is your year!

http://www.superbikeschool.com/schedule/

I'm a coach with the school so if you have any questions about it please let me know and I'll do my best to answer. As for your above questions, hotel is not included in the price of the school but they can usually help you find a decent one in the area and there is no shuttle either so a cab or rental car would be needed. The school provides breakfast, lunch, water, snacks, tea coffee and sports drinks and you can also rent gear, helmets, gloves, boots etc.

Again, fire away if you have any further questions :)

Misti
  16. dmason

dmason goofball Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I had a 12 year old on a 125 pass me like I was standing stil (on a GSX-R600!) out of turn 10 at Putnam this summer!
  17. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Misti - thanks for the info. I just have to figure out when I can go, then that will dictate the location. Hope to see you there!